• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

IMAG1613_zps989f1ab5.jpg

Alright, alright, eBay says the Love Tales is nothing special but I haven't seen many Secret Romances around...did Superior publish many romance titles?

Yes, they did ... though this being Superior, you have to separate the reprints from the original material. Best I can see quickly, they published:

Total (Reprint and Original): 25 series for 122 issues

BUT the Original series were few:

16 issues of Love and Marriage

24 issues of My Secret Marriage

27 issues of Secret Romances

so a total of 67 original Romance comics from Superior.

IMAG1613_zps989f1ab5.jpg

Alright, alright, eBay says the Love Tales is nothing special but I haven't seen many Secret Romances around...did Superior publish many romance titles?

Yes, they did ... though this being Superior, you have to separate the reprints from the original material. Best I can see quickly, they published:

Total (Reprint and Original): 25 series for 122 issues

BUT the Original series were few:

16 issues of Love and Marriage

24 issues of My Secret Marriage

27 issues of Secret Romances

so a total of 67 original Romance comics from Superior.

So did I find something tough with secret romances 1? I'd never seen it before...

Superior had 6 original series, for a total of 83 issues. Some of these were themselves reprinted by IW Publishing.

G.I. War Brides 1-8

Love and Marriage 1-16

My Secret 1-3

My Secret Marriage 1-24

Our Secret 4-8 (formerly My Secret)

Secret Romances 1-27

Sometimes statistics tell the story. For pedigree stats, the big 2 are Crippen and Church. Of the 83 issues:

- Crippen had 24. None of them were slabbed when brought to market by Heritage, which gives you an idea of grade. If they were nice, HA slabbed them.

- Church had 31. According to Chuck, 8 of these were high grade (nm or better).

- CGC has slabbed 14 books, but that counts multiple grades of the same issue. 12 distinct issues.

- I own 40, bought over 25 years. I'll usually only buy Fine or better.

On the Secret Romances #1 - no slabs. No Crippen. Church copy is VG, and that's by Chuck's standards. But the most important criteria (ahem) is, "Does Dr. Love own a copy?". I do not. Therefore, by definition, it is relatively rare, especially so in grade. Having said that, I can expect to see 4 copies in Fine or better posted here within 24 hours. Global village, interweb, all that.

Superior romance books are garish, crudely drawn, poorly produced, known for obscenely red covers, dark paper, bleeding covers, thinly supplied and imported...in other words, VERY COLLECTIBLE. So I speak for all true blue romance collectors when I say...Challenge accepted!

And speaking of something special...our own JvR11, from the boards, is listing My Confession 7 on ebay. This is a killer book, a big Fox book. At a very good starting price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Confession-1-Fox-GGA-Wood-comic-classic-cover-/191147551448?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c81482ad8

This is technically Silver Age I guess (Dec '56.) It was so nice I had to buy it...haven't seen too many high grade copies from this period in Atlas romance.

Very nice!

Superior had 6 original series, for a total of 83 issues. Some of these were themselves reprinted by IW Publishing.

G.I. War Brides 1-8

Love and Marriage 1-16

My Secret 1-3

My Secret Marriage 1-24

Secret Romances 1-27

Sometimes statistics tell the story. For pedigree stats, the big 2 are Crippen and Church. Of the 83 issues:

- Crippen had 24. None of them were slabbed when brought to market by Heritage, which gives you an idea of grade. If they were nice, HA slabbed them.

- CGC has slabbed 14 books, but that counts multiple grades of the same issue. 12 distinct issues.

On the Secret Romances #1 - no slabs. No Crippen. Church copy is VG, and that's by Chuck's standards. But the most important criteria (ahem) is, "Does Dr. Love own a copy?". I do not. Therefore, by definition, it is relatively rare, especially so in grade. Having said that, I can expect to see 4 copies in Fine or better posted here within 24 hours. Global village, interweb, all that.

Superior romance books are garish, crudely drawn, poorly produced, known for obscenely red covers, dark paper, bleeding covers, thinly supplied and imported...in other words, VERY COLLECTIBLE. So I speak for all true blue romance collectors when I say...Challenge accepted!

This is all a lot of good information and an enjoyable read! Thanks for sharing your wisdom! (worship)

G.I. War Brides 1-8

Love and Marriage 1-16

My Secret 1-3

My Secret Marriage 1-24

Secret Romances 1-27

Secret Romances...

146823.jpg.d6d95d0c94d0e0891b348e66938089ca.jpg

146824.jpg.eca6610ec1454f48be8fe0c162774fab.jpg

146825.jpg.72e7951b4a319793f0cf91850ea191d1.jpg

146826.jpg.4403626bceeb5d19cac26d0bbf1417ca.jpg

146827.jpg.15df4de1b5d8fddb12a076a06c1ce1bf.jpg