• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

Why is Maggie a him?

He's referring to Glenn,

since Maggie stated Glenn would probably agree with Rick's decision to not kill Negan.

Missed that part in all the spolier tags.

I won't read my issue till next week so I am trying to figure out what is going on since I don't want to wait.

Well...

The way I see it is if there is a constant stream of "Governors", "Hunters", "Scavengers" going up against the survivors then how is that going to maintain everyone's interest once you rinse and repeat it more than a few times? Always being a bad is going to wear thin eventually.

Rick trying to implement a prison system kinda makes sense given his background. Taking the moral high ground is the only thing he has left to try and scavenge some humanity back. Without that there isn't a line left to cross or turmoil within, you just reduce everyone to the same thing, then there really is nothing left to lose other than your friends and family (in other words only jumping from one death to the next until there are no likeable characters any more). What has surprised me is the amount of forumites across the numerous boards on the internet that are calling the writing lazy. Change is a good thing, being predictable or formulaic isn't. It's not even as if AoW hasn't had deaths, action and plot the whole way through. Honestly, what would erasing more characters have done to actually add to the story moving forward? (shrug)

IMHO the best thing that could happen here is internal conflict caused by the fallout of Rick's decision along with sub plots. Are all of the main cast going to agree with his decision? Is Carl? Is everyone really going to be friends with each other? Taking the moral high ground could be a setup for some tough decisions or even a fall... will it be any different (than what has happened to Negan) if one of Rick's allies does something horrific to someone else? Hate what Rick has done? Maybe Kirkman is going to make you hate Rick even more :wishluck: Maybe revenge on either side will end up being served cold and not in the heat of a war.

It's different from 1 - 48 and I am fine with hanging out to see what happens. I can see more possibilities than if Negan was killed and everyone shook hands and worked together (i.e. Game Over, let's rebuild society).

I agree that it isn't the best TWD run so far, it's going to have its peaks and troughs stretching out past 10 years in age.

At the end of the day it's a comic book and maybe TWD is no more high brow than Scooby Doo. In both cases the real monster always turns out to be a living, breathing human being. Don't see anyone bad mouthing Scooby Doo. Sit back and see what happens. Zoinks ;)

Well...

The way I see it is if there is a constant stream of "Governors", "Hunters", "Scavengers" going up against the survivors then how is that going to maintain everyone's interest once you rinse and repeat it more than a few times? Always being a bad is going to wear thin eventually.

Rick trying to implement a prison system kinda makes sense given his background. Taking the moral high ground is the only thing he has left to try and scavenge some humanity back. Without that there isn't a line left to cross or turmoil within, you just reduce everyone to the same thing, then there really is nothing left to lose other than your friends and family (in other words only jumping from one death to the next until there are no likeable characters any more). What has surprised me is the amount of forumites across the numerous boards on the internet that are calling the writing lazy. Change is a good thing, being predictable or formulaic isn't. It's not even as if AoW hasn't had deaths, action and plot the whole way through. Honestly, what would erasing more characters have done to actually add to the story moving forward? (shrug)

IMHO the best thing that could happen here is internal conflict caused by the fallout of Rick's decision along with sub plots. Are all of the main cast going to agree with his decision? Is Carl? Is everyone really going to be friends with each other? Taking the moral high ground could be a setup for some tough decisions or even a fall... will it be any different (than what has happened to Negan) if one of Rick's allies does something horrific to someone else? Hate what Rick has done? Maybe Kirkman is going to make you hate Rick even more :wishluck: Maybe revenge on either side will end up being served cold and not in the heat of a war.

It's different from 1 - 48 and I am fine with hanging out to see what happens. I can see more possibilities than if Negan was killed and everyone shook hands and worked together (i.e. Game Over, let's rebuild society).

I agree that it isn't the best TWD run so far, it's going to have its peaks and troughs stretching out past 10 years in age.

At the end of the day it's a comic book and maybe TWD is no more high brow than Scooby Doo. In both cases the real monster always turns out to be a living, breathing human being. Don't see anyone bad mouthing Scooby Doo. Sit back and see what happens. Zoinks ;)

Very well said Garf, I couldn't have said it better myself. And I also agree with Bjorn on what he's said. More will be revealed, I just know it.

Well...

:golfclap:

Well...

:golfclap:

+1

You're right about the rinse repeat formula that's been used by Kirkman. If you try to think ahead, the only way I can imagine what can happen next are the following two scenarios: a proper civilization finally is created or everybody dies.

Even with internal issues among the group (due to Negan surviving) the story will still seem bland.

Even if Rick were to die, you once again have the formula put into play except another character takes over I.e. Carl.

What more can really be done? Another herd attack? More hunters? Aliens?

As much as I hate to write this, I think it's time this series wraps up.

All goods things have to come to an end.

You're right about the rinse repeat formula that's been used by Kirkman. If you try to think ahead, the only way I can imagine what can happen next are the following two scenarios: a proper civilization finally is created or everybody dies.

Even with internal issues among the group (due to Negan surviving) the story will still seem bland.

Even if Rick were to die, you once again have the formula put into play except another character takes over I.e. Carl.

What more can really be done? Another herd attack? More hunters? Aliens?

As much as I hate to write this, I think it's time this series wraps up.

All goods things have to come to an end.

you're stoned! lol

you know, 126 issues of an ongoing series is a lot of story. I can't think of one other comic that lasted that long that didn't "go off the tracks" for many of the original admirers. The creator/s have to continually make decision on the direction he/they wants to take, and each one risks losing readers.

Kirkman has made his choices. Everyone else now must make theirs: stay or go. I think he still has a lot of story to tell… but maybe, in the future, Kirkman should be more careful not raise expectations so high with ALL OUT WAR!!!!! when it doesn't have the payoff you have led the readers to expect.

frankly, it ALL felt padded. After Negan appeared standing outside the gates the first time, Rick should assigned Andrea on single mission 24/7: perch and wait for the next opportunity. So many missed chances.

Edited by aman619

I think he could have done something completely easy, lazy and predictable and he didn't. He's clearly a good and creative writer. While it was disappointing, you've got to see where this goes. I appreciate that Kirkman's a smart enough dude that he didn't take the easy way out.

I actually think Kirkman means what is said at the end that

Negan will die an old man in jail. I think that is the end of Negan for us readers. As comic fans we are use to villains returning but I think Kirkman is going for something different.

It would take an awful long stretch of truly terrible issues to get me to drop this title.. I'm buying 3 copies of each issue now. I get all the trades, compendiums, toys, shirts, etc..

I have to say, this was the first time I was disappointed with an issue. There were so many opportunities for badass moments that were just missed. Also some 'unrealistic' actions/reactions made by the characters.

I'm ready to move on to the next arc.. I'm sad this one didn't live up to what I thought it would be

Oh.. one more thing about the fate of Negan:

I remember my girlfriend picking up a copy of #100 the day it came out because she thought the chromium cover was cool. Even though she only bought it for the cover, she decided to read it...

She called me, at work, bawling and sobbing on the phone over what happened to Glenn. She has hated Negan with a passion since then. She even gets mad when she shes my Negan figures on the mantle.

How am I going to tell her that the war is over and he still lives???

I think we're all forgetting how insane that moment was. And the emotion that was evoked by that issue. I'm not asking for more deaths or brutal revenge,but something that evokes emotion

It would take an awful long stretch of truly terrible issues to get me to drop this title.. I'm buying 3 copies of each issue now. I get all the trades, compendiums, toys, shirts, etc..

I have to say, this was the first time I was disappointed with an issue. There were so many opportunities for badass moments that were just missed. Also some 'unrealistic' actions/reactions made by the characters.

I'm ready to move on to the next arc.. I'm sad this one didn't live up to what I thought it would be

Oh.. one more thing about the fate of Negan:

I remember my girlfriend picking up a copy of #100 the day it came out because she thought the chromium cover was cool. Even though she only bought it for the cover, she decided to read it...

She called me, at work, bawling and sobbing on the phone over what happened to Glenn. She has hated Negan with a passion since then. She even gets mad when she shes my Negan figures on the mantle.

How am I going to tell her that the war is over and he still lives???

I think we're all forgetting how insane that moment was. And the emotion that was evoked by that issue. I'm not asking for more deaths or brutal revenge,but something that evokes emotion

oh.

Do you remember at the end of the TV show season when the Govenor didn't do what WE thought should have happend. And many :cry: and :preach: all off season how it's not as good as the comic and :blahblah:

Then the first half of the season was (thumbs u

Well, I see the same here. What happened is not what WE expected. But I bet it will be ok.

I also think the next issue has noting to do with any character we've seen in the WD universe.

Do you remember at the end of the TV show season when the Govenor didn't do what WE thought should have happend. And many :cry: and :preach: all off season how it's not as good as the comic and :blahblah:

Then the first half of the season was (thumbs u

Well, I see the same here. What happened is not what WE expected. But I bet it will be ok.

I also think the next issue has noting to do with any character we've seen in the WD universe.

+1

:gossip:

Ricks still lives. lol

Edited by retrothecollector