• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

So I got 3 new pieces this week.

First up is a page I picked up at Wondercon that I've had my eye on for a year and was able to get the dealer down to a price I was happy with. Keith Giffen and Larry Mahlstedt Legion of Super-Heroes #302 page 21. Long Live the Legion.

G1LDpPue_2004141734351.jpg

The next 2 illustrations are from Shawn McManus, who's doing a fantastic run on Vertigo's Fairest Title right now. One's for me and the other for my daughter, I'll let you guess which. Thanks Shawn!

oUTMhhVr_2004141943361.jpg

aBP0CiVt_2004141947021.jpg

I didn't even bother going over to coollines. What's the point, right?

I made it to the Art Collector's Dinner organized by Brian Peck and had a great time talking art. It was nice to meet fellow boardies, Steve, Chris and Aaron.

Fanexpo still has the same management team despite being bought so, so there has been no change from that standpoint. I was happy with the show but the crowds looked thinner than last year. Easter Weekend definitely did not help.

Malvin

Landed the Title Splash to issue 3 of Innovation/Charltons 1985 series VOLTRON!

no chance of landing the covers since one guy has em all, but this is a close 2nd

VOOOOLLLLLTTTTRRRROOOONNNN!!!!!!!!!

Voltron.JPG

Fl_JGz_WJ.jpg

This may have already been posted back when the first buyer purchased it, But I'm way too excited about my first piece not to post :whee:

Big thanks to Emezy360!

This is not a new acquisition but just an "update". I just found out that the Curt Swan Superman piece I own came from a comic which actress Brooke Shields was reading. I came across the photo and added it in the "additional images" section:

GEU5lcUn_2604142244361.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=885218

I thought it was pretty cool and just felt like sharing.

Here's an ODD one;

but thought it made for interesting trivia.

Picked this up from my mom's garage this week.

My grandfather submitted patents for underwater welders.

Here's an original watercolor painting used to show the US Patent Office:

38A9CEB8-F79B-4108-944E-58CC8CE4434B.jpg

I don't do CAF art updates too often, but I finally uploaded 4 pages of Troy Nixey art for Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah to my gallery.

Troy and Mike Mignola did this book together, and Troy's art for this series made a massive impression on me in the 90s. It is fluid, and as stylish as it gets. There is an old worldness to it that is difficult to put a specific finger on, but no one draws quite like Troy.

I was sure the pages had long since sold off when I mentioned my interest in to him earlier this year. Lo and behold, Troy had never really sold any of it before, and still had almost everything, so I got my pick of some wonderful pages from the first issue, which was my favorite.

If you've not seen Troy's work before, or only know him from his Film work, give it a look.

Fans of The Goon, Hellboy, etc might find it up their alley.

I included closeups from each page so people can see just how exquisite his brushwork really is.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=7723