• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Our Army at War #83s!
2 2

161 posts in this topic

I inspected two raw OAAW #83's at WonderCon Anaheim this past weekend.

One was a Good that was browning, the other was a Very Good with decent paper.

Pricing was at more than 2x condition Guide. Still was sorely tempted. Great issue.

Hey!

Just joined the forums... Long time war (really Sgt Rock) collector... I have a complete OAAW run and Sgt Rock's through 368 or somesuch.

Anyway, I was at the Philadelphia Comic Con and had an OAAW 81 and OAAW 83 graded on-site.

My 81 came back Universal 6.0 and my 83 came back Universal 7.5! These are the very first books I've ever had graded.

I picked up both comics in either 1987 or 1988 at the San Diego Comic Con... I picked up several other early Sgt Rock's from the same collection (86, 90, 91, 99, and 100, probably a bunch post-100). I remember paying $100 for the 81 and $60 for the 83.

I'm waiting on grades for my 91 and 100, which should come back similarly graded (maybe higher). I also submitted a GI Combat 68, OAAW 82, OAAW 128 and a OAAW 151. They're mid-grade at best.

Happy collecting all!

Edited by TankShiba

Hey!

Just joined the forums... Long time war (really Sgt Rock) collector... I have a complete OAAW run and Sgt Rock's through 368 or somesuch.

Anyway, I was at the Philadelphia Comic Con and had an OAAW 81 and OAAW 83 graded on-site.

My 81 came back Universal 6.0 and my 83 came back Universal 7.5! These are the very first books I've ever had graded.

I picked up both comics in either 1987 or 1988 at the San Diego Comic Con... I picked up several other early Sgt Rock's from the same collection (86, 90, 91, 99, and 100, probably a bunch post-100). I remember paying $100 for the 81 and $60 for the 83.

I'm waiting on grades for my 91 and 100, which should come back similarly graded (maybe higher). I also submitted a GI Combat 68, OAAW 82, OAAW 128 and a OAAW 151. They're mid-grade at best.

Happy collecting all!

A 7.5 OAAW 83 is awesome! Must be a beautiful copy. Congrats on having one of the best copies of the greatest war book ever and a top 20 SA key few, if any, ever mention.

John

A 7.5 OAAW 83 is awesome! Must be a beautiful copy. Congrats on having one of the best copies of the greatest war book ever and a top 20 SA key few, if any, ever mention.

John

Thanks! I am pretty excited! I have held onto that book for over 25 years now. I knew it was a good book, but no idea it was that good!

When I peeled back the CGC form to see the grade, I was pretty pleasantly surprised! Before submission, one of the Heritage guys told me 6.5, maybe 7.0.

Another "reputable" dealer graded it as a 6.5-7.0 as well, appraising it at $1800 (pre-slab), meaning his offer to me would've been less than that by a fairly large percentage. He wanted me to tell him what I wanted for it (and a bunch of other OAAW's). I declined to give any dollar value to him. I hate being seriously low-balled, then made to feel like a villain when I'm being "unreasonable" with my request based on a reasonable market value.

Edited by TankShiba

Holy ! (worship)

Welcome to the boards. (green with envy ;) )

John

Thanks! I am pretty excited! I have held onto that book for over 25 years now. I knew it was a good book, but no idea it was that good!

When I peeled back the CGC form to see the grade, I was pretty pleasantly surprised! Before submission, one of the Heritage guys told me 6.5, maybe 7.0.

Another "reputable" dealer graded it as a 6.5-7.0 as well, appraising it at $1800 (pre-slab), meaning his offer to me would've been less than that by a fairly large percentage. He wanted me to tell him what I wanted for it (and a bunch of other OAAW's). I declined to give any dollar value to him. I hate being seriously low-balled, then made to feel like a villain when I'm being "unreasonable" with my request based on a reasonable market value.

Welcome to the boards!

OAAW is such a great run :applause:

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Here's a pic of mine finally... I'll be investing in a scanner soon.

imagejpg8.jpg

Fantastic copy!

How does it feel to have one of the best copies of the rarest SA key?

The Action Comics 1 of war comics.

Fantastic copy!

Thanks! I'm pretty crazily excited! I never EVER imagined this book to blow up like it has when I started collecting.

Fantastic copy!

Thanks! I'm pretty crazily excited! I never EVER imagined this book to blow up like it has when I started collecting.

Did Overstreet add this book to its top 20 SA list?

Fantastic copy!

Not on the list although its value in 9.2 is higher than # 19 and #20. Showcase 9 and FF2 :screwy:

Fantastic copy!

Not on the list although its value in 9.2 is higher than # 19 and #20. Showcase 9 and FF2 :screwy:

It makes no sense. Do the editors who (I assume) get paid to edit even check over the Guide's Top 20. If the people at Overstreet want to stay relevant in this hobby and keep loyal supporters, they should make an effort to have their top 20 SA list accurate. Not having OAAW 83 on the list while they have it listed more than number 19 and 20 is ridiculous.