• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

OK, not Golden Age although it is written by Jerry Siegel and I was so excited to get this book I thought I would share with the GA boardies.

Back in the early seventies when you could buy used comics for a nickel, one of my great scores was the Giant Superman #232. It reprinted the tale from this issue where Superman returns to Krypton and meets his parents. I remember being really taken with this story and the whole depiction of Krypton.

Flash forward a little over 40 yrs (cllcting cmcs) and when I saw this book come on the boards for sale I had to have it! I just read it this weekend and it is almost as charming as I remember although the plot twists don't quite hold up now as they did when I was twelve.

The use of which seemed to happen every other panel in the Weisinger era is so out of touch today that it is laughable. Also, the end of the story has the big S blithely abandoning the love of his life and his parents with his only thought being the loss of his powers. By the last panel our emotionless hero has already almost forgotten the now dead Kryptonians and he is flying back to his new life on earth. Who knew that Superman was no SuperFriend!!

By the way no on that last page!

146381.jpg.b4dde6e2b5fd7635e45e51fcfea20a41.jpg

146382.jpg.5432c1d11189cf46029569e514451748.jpg

Congrats, nice book!

The use of which seemed to happen every other panel in the Weisinger era is so out of touch today that it is laughable.

I think that started with ECs in the 50s. Maybe Jerry Siegel was a secret EC fan, who knows. :)

OK, not Golden Age although it is written by Jerry Siegel and I was so excited to get this book I thought I would share with the GA boardies.

Back in the early seventies when you could buy used comics for a nickel, one of my great scores was the Giant Superman #232. It reprinted the tale from this issue where Superman returns to Krypton and meets his parents. I remember being really taken with this story and the whole depiction of Krypton.

Flash forward a little over 40 yrs (cllcting cmcs) and when I saw this book come on the boards for sale I had to have it! I just read it this weekend and it is almost as charming as I remember although the plot twists don't quite hold up now as they did when I was twelve.

The use of which seemed to happen every other panel in the Weisinger era is so out of touch today that it is laughable. Also, the end of the story has the big S blithely abandoning the love of his life and his parents with his only thought being the loss of his powers. By the last panel our emotionless hero has already almost forgotten the now dead Kryptonians and he is flying back to his new life on earth. Who knew that Superman was no SuperFriend!!

Beautiful copy, Frank. Glad you rediscovered a childhood memory. Yes, it is one of the better stories of the era. I've had my copy for over 40 years now though it's not as nice as yours.

Edited by Stevenrams

.... I first read this comic in Superman 232 also and it's one of my favorites too. I have a Fine Plus with the whitest pages I've ever seen on a SA comic. It's a book I'll never sell. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the comments, I also picked up a copy of Secret Origins, the Bizarro Titano Adventure issue and an early JLA I needed to fill a hole in the collection. This was a great era in DC's history despite some of the nonsense and proliferation of super pets! It brought us the beginning of continuity and the JLA even inspired the Fantastic Four!

Found this in a box of comics I picked up a few years back at an auction.

I guess it's pretty close to the end of the Golden Age.

13952273941_53138db891.jpg

(Only 22 copies of this issue have been graded.)

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Thanks for the comments, I also picked up a copy of Secret Origins, the Bizarro Titano Adventure issue and an early JLA I needed to fill a hole in the collection. This was a great era in DC's history despite some of due to the nonsense and proliferation of super pets! It brought us big brain stories, Jimmy Olsen freak mutations, superheroes turning into babies, and Bat-Mite!

Fixed!

Found this in a box of comics I picked up a few years back at an auction.

I guess it's pretty close to the end of the Golden Age.

13952273941_53138db891.jpg

mm

Rainbow hula-hoops that turn people into glass certainly has more of a DC Silver Age ring to it.

That's my old copy on the left. :cloud9:

are you serious?????????

Won it in a ComicConnect auction in 2010. Sold it to a board member in 2012.

Yep. And I sold it to Graham Crackers last weekend in St. Louis.

are you serious?????????

:applause:

are you serious?????????

Seems like no one wants it. Me thinks it needs a permanent home :grin: