• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Here are scans of three more of my Mad magazines:

023_zpsf4005aea.jpg

Interesting little bit of topical history to this satirical advertisement. You can learn stuff while reading Mad... As a kid I saw things like this and ended up piecing together bits of history that I wouldn't formally learn about till years later.

Freas and Norman Mingo always made Mad look good.

That they did! Scads of great artists over the years illustrated the pages of Mad. If you backed me into a corner and forced me to pick one favourite though, it would still have to be Jack Davis.

Madbook_zps7d76b75c.jpg

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

That they did! Scads of great artists over the years illustrated the pages of Mad. If you backed me into a corner and forced me to pick one favourite though, it would still have to be Jack Davis.

Madbook_zps7d76b75c.jpg

Jack Davis is probably their most versatile artist -- he could do caricatures, covers, one-page panel gags, etc. I've read he was a real Southern gentleman type, working with a big group of New Yorkers, immigrants, etc.

I remember as a kid recognizing that Jack Davis had done a movie poster unrelated to Mad and thinking, "Hey! That's the Mad artist!" and feeling proud to recognize him.

Funny you show the cover of a Mad paperback with a reference to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" because Jack Davis did the posters and promotional materials for the actual movie as well. Somewhere around here I have the production booklet for the movie, in fact... It would be fun to place it side by side with the Mad paperback art.

Here's one of my all-time favorite Mad covers:

146674.jpg.a5a1f8214044b8839de5a04b16690efb.jpg

Funny you show the cover of a Mad paperback with a reference to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" because Jack Davis did the posters and promotional materials for the actual movie as well.

No coincidence there. The cover of the Signet paperback was intended as a parody of the movie poster.

;)

Madbook_zps7d76b75c.jpg

Found my movie program! Somewhat different design but still looks great side-by-side with the Mad paperback cover (nice wrap-around on you your image there).

Jack Davis double-dipped on this one -- he did art for the thing and the satirical version of the thing. Now that's versatility.

146719.jpg.321246a453cbe60a2f5bf21b632285e2.jpg

I had about 200 of the tbp, including the don martin and spy vs spy ones, had all the mad's with records on em untouched..Bought em from 69-78...And my mom tossed em all when I went to college in 85, along with 1969 all baseball set. I remember Mad trade paperbacks, not sure what they were called, but had a place to put in your own sayings at the end of the conversation, anyone know what these were called..An empty slot to write in your convo at the end..

I had about 200 of the tbp, including the don martin and spy vs spy ones, had all the mad's with records on em untouched..Bought em from 69-78...And my mom tossed em all when I went to college in 85, along with 1969 all baseball set. I remember Mad trade paperbacks, not sure what they were called, but had a place to put in your own sayings at the end of the conversation, anyone know what these were called..An empty slot to write in your convo at the end..

Ugh, what a sad story! That seems to have happened to a lot of people though... Some moms (or dads) were just too overzealous about cleaning. "My boy is growing up....he'll never want these dumb ol' comics and baseball cards. He's a man now, and these things are worthless anyway." Painful!

The paperbacks you're thinking of are cartoonist Al Jaffee's "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions." That's one of his best concepts for a series outside of his Mad art, and it made the books interactive.

When I was a kid, I was such a Mad freak that my family made fun of me. My uncle was an artist / designer for magazines and such, and one year he sent this artistic creation to me for my birthday. I have blurred out my name (actually, a goofy version of my name) but everything else is exactly as it appeared, though the glossy finish or whatever he used has turned light-brownish over the decades. Some of the text teases might not make sense, because they are part of in-jokes between my uncle and my dad (they were identical twins and practically had their own language).

Anyway, this is proof that I have been a Mad geek ever since an early age. Pretty sad, really. Yeah, I did kinda look like this, complete with bowl-esque haircut, but my tooth wasn't missing.

I should probably send this to Mad magazine -- maybe they'll put it in the letters page!

148703.jpg.a505c989f7e07649eddaefd225306fad.jpg

When I was a kid, I was such a Mad freak that my family made fun of me. My uncle was an artist / designer for magazines and such, and one year he sent this artistic creation to me for my birthday. I have blurred out my name (actually, a goofy version of my name) but everything else is exactly as it appeared, though the glossy finish or whatever he used has turned light-brownish over the decades. Some of the text teases might not make sense, because they are part of in-jokes between my uncle and my dad (they were identical twins and practically had their own language).

Anyway, this is proof that I have been a Mad geek ever since an early age. Pretty sad, really. Yeah, I did kinda look like this, complete with bowl-esque haircut, but my tooth wasn't missing.

I should probably send this to Mad magazine -- maybe they'll put it in the letters page!

:applause:

I thought I would get a better response here than the b/s/t forum. Does anyone here have a nice high grade copy of Mad #180?

You mean a copy that they're willing to sell? Or just a high-grade copy? About 85% of my magazine issues of Mad are high-grade, from #24 up to about #300.