• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

OK, so this is clearly a placeholder. But since I got it (and issues 2-5) for just over $50 after shipping, I'm quite happy with it for the moment:

OG_01_zpsff519960.jpg

The later issues are better, and $10 an issue? Perfectly happy at that price, even in that condition.

Recent pickups. All Kelly covers, although not noted on the label, with Kelly, Barks, and Stanley stories. Great stuff. I think they present well for the grades and love the fact that they are true file copies -- a link to history.

0625780011a_zps75cb58cd.jpg

0625780011c_zps196d7a08.jpg

0625780011e_zpsbf8f5876.jpg

Very nice Sqeggs! :applause: I love those file copies too. I paid a relatively big premium for this one on Heritage:

pogo5_small.jpg

I was the underbidder for this on Heritage, and then bought it for half the price on eBay six months later. My kind of flipper. lol

pogo_03_file_zps68ae61c0.jpg

OK, so this is clearly a placeholder. But since I got it (and issues 2-5) for just over $50 after shipping, I'm quite happy with it for the moment:

OG_01_zpsff519960.jpg

The later issues are better, and $10 an issue? Perfectly happy at that price, even in that condition.

Great buy! Congratulations!

And here's a couple more Kelly books I picked up recently (the 244 actually just showed up today):

Brownies192_zpse96da066.jpg

Brownies244_zps8d17d9e9.jpg

One oddity on the 244: It has Kelly's name, very faintly, right under the logo, as well at at the bottom. It was clearly not quite perfectly removed from its more prominent spot.

Very nice Sqeggs! :applause: I love those file copies too. I paid a relatively big premium for this one on Heritage:

pogo5_small.jpg

I was the underbidder for this on Heritage, and then bought it for half the price on eBay six months later. My kind of flipper. lol

pogo_03_file_zps68ae61c0.jpg

Two nice books that look more "filed away" than my Our Gangs! :D

And here's a couple more Kelly books I picked up recently (the 244 actually just showed up today):

Brownies192_zpse96da066.jpg

Brownies244_zps8d17d9e9.jpg

I love the Brownies! It's a classic underappreciated title. Try selling that one to your typical Golden Age collector.

Sadly the only Walt Kelly comic I have currently is my Pogo 14:

:(

Over time I'd like to get a few more Brownies, Mary Jane and Sniffles as well as Pogo comics.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Great stuff. I think they present well for the grades and love the fact that they are true file copies -- a link to history.

0625780011a_zps75cb58cd.jpg

0625780011c_zps196d7a08.jpg

0625780011e_zpsbf8f5876.jpg

I agree! Comics based on the days when kids were allowed to be kids, and not chauffeured around to organized activities and play dates by helicopter parents.

(thumbs u

Picked up this little gem recently, Animal Comics 1. :cloud9:

Animal%2520Comics%25201.JPG

That's an awfully nice looking 6.0 from what I can see!

I know others will disagree, but I think Animal Comics 1 is very underrated. It's one of the few books I've held where I can just feel the weight of history in my hand.

That's an awfully nice looking 6.0 from what I can see!

I know others will disagree, but I think Animal Comics 1 is very underrated. It's one of the few books I've held where I can just feel the weight of history in my hand.

It's got a few color breaking wrinkles and creases that hold it down, but it does have great eye appeal for the grade. I like it.

I agree about the historical significance. Pogo was such a wonderful strip, and to think he started as a minor character in this book and went so far is kind of amazing.

Todd, that is such a nice book, and it has so much historical and cultural significance. Congratulations.

Wow it has been over a year since anyone posted in the Walt Kelly thread. Well time to remedy that today with the acquisition of Four Color 148 at today's California Comic Con. And from the fabulous Paul collection as well!

A great paper cover beauty with nice structure and color.

160402.jpg.2e77bb5b54f23214b2f6ab180650554a.jpg

Wow it has been over a year since anyone posted in the Walt Kelly thread. Well time to remedy that today with the acquisition of Four Color 148 at today's California Comic Con. And from the fabulous Paul collection as well!

A great paper cover beauty with nice structure and color.

Nice. First non-hero "Paul" book I've seen.