• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should Wizard authentic variants have their own listings? Re: Wolverine 102.5

18 posts in this topic

I am carrying over a conversation from the set expansion request thread regarding Wolverine 102.5 (wizard authentic variant).

I would like to know what everyone’s opinions are on Wizard Authentic variants having their own listings in the registry.

I feel Wizard authentic comics should be removed from having their own listings in the registry. Information on Wizard authentic comics is hard to find but here are a few reasons why these books should be removed. If my Thinking is out of line, please let me know.

One reason is, Wizard authentic issues were only sold as an autographed comics and a hologram seal was put on the front cover. With CGC not being present during the signing then the best it can grade out as is qualified. Second if it was sent out with the seal and not signed then it would still be a qualified issue because then it would be a defective book. So the only true wizard authentic editions should have a qualified green label and I don’t think someone should have to buy a green label book to complete a set.

From looking at the Wizard authentic comics listed in the registry that have pictures, I feel they have been mislabeled

I think these issues should be merged in as qualified copies of the regular issue that is already listed in the registry and not have its own listing.

If a Wizard Authentic copy isn't signed, why should it end up in a Qualified label slab? It's no different than what CGC did with with the Walking Dead Lucille variants - unsigned copies (which weren't supposed to exist) ended up in blue label slabs ...

I have only researched wolverine wizard authentic books. With Wolverine 102.5 the wizard authentic edition was autographed and a then the hologram sticker was put on the front cover. So there shouldn’t have been any copies that only have the hologram stickers on them

I have only researched wolverine wizard authentic books. With Wolverine 102.5 the wizard authentic edition was autographed and a then the hologram sticker was put on the front cover. So there shouldn’t have been any copies that only have the hologram stickers on them

True, the only difference between the 102.5 'regular' and the authentic edition is the addition of a hologram sticker and Boris Vallego's signature. So I agree, there should not be an unsigned version with only the sticker.

Moreover, due to the scarcity of these books (especially in high grade), I really do believe the points awarded for the, should be reviewed :foryou:

Edited by Waylander

I think all the wizard authentic versions should be removed from registry sets. I know cgc was in bed with wizard at the time but these are no different than all the dynamic forces autographed books that come with COA's.

This is just another inconsistency with CGC that will be ignored.

I am not defending CGC links with Wizard, but they treat the Wizard Authentic editions the same as DF certificated signature - i.e. GLOD - name written on cover.

The question is whether or not they should be identified separately. For example, the DF Daredevil 1 Marvel Authentix cover 'regular' or the Sketched version (this is remarked) which is identified separately.

That was the only point I was trying to make, I don't think that wizard authentic issues should have their own listings. I think they should be included as part of the regular issue listing

I am I hope agreeing with you.

If a book is not substantial different - let's say for example foil lettering - for the regular cover, then it should not be listed separately. As the 102.5 authentic edition only has a randomly place hologram sticker on it, so my opinion is that it does not deserve to be listed separately. If like Wizard Wolverine 1/2 there is a regular, special edition with blue foil (which should be separately listed) and the latter signed with a hologram sticker added (which should not be listed separately).

Oh, and my Daredevil 1 reference above,the remarked version should be separately listed a the cover has a blank square in the middle for the sketch.

I used to have a number of Wizard Authentic books. They are very tough to find in high grade and I think most of the ones I had graded were the only graded copy.

As far as not warranting a spot in the registry, there has been a long-term policy that there can be a set with variants and a set without variants. The problem with the Wizard books is they are very tough and chances are you may never find one. Does that mean they don't deserve a slot? My personal opinion is that they do.

I used to have a number of Wizard Authentic books. They are very tough to find in high grade and I think most of the ones I had graded were the only graded copy.

As far as not warranting a spot in the registry, there has been a long-term policy that there can be a set with variants and a set without variants. The problem with the Wizard books is they are very tough and chances are you may never find one. Does that mean they don't deserve a slot? My personal opinion is that they do.

My feeling is if a book can not obtain a universal grade then it shouldn't get its own spot. I know each book has to be reviewed individually but with the case of wolverine 102.5 it can only grade as a green label. There are a few signature series books out there but I don't understand how they got that label Since Cgc wasn't present when Boris originally signed the book

If I recall correctly, there was an unsigned stash of this issue that made it to market. I think beachbum or worldsbestcomics may know the whole story. It's been discussed in the past in this forum.

On the universal label issue, there's nothing wrong with a green label on a book like these. It was the way they were made. Don't let CGC's label color put you off from a cool book. It's worth a few less points, but it's still a collecting achievement to come up with one in high grade.

If I recall correctly, there was an unsigned stash of this issue that made it to market. I think beachbum or worldsbestcomics may know the whole story. It's been discussed in the past in this forum.

On the universal label issue, there's nothing wrong with a green label on a book like these. It was the way they were made. Don't let CGC's label color put you off from a cool book. It's worth a few less points, but it's still a collecting achievement to come up with one in high grade.

If its unsigned, then surely that the regular edition 'defaced' with a hologram sticker (shrug)

My feeling is if a book can not obtain a universal grade then it shouldn't get its own spot. I know each book has to be reviewed individually but with the case of wolverine 102.5 it can only grade as a green label. There are a few signature series books out there but I don't understand how they got that label Since Cgc wasn't present when Boris originally signed the book

There are many copies of the book that were in the wild with no signatures. Then a bunch of them got done at DragonCon several years ago, when Boris and Julie did their first signing in a long time. Since then, several more have gotten done under the same circumstances at other cons.

I do not believe anyone is arguing rarity as a reason for it not to be listed, the argument is that they are not a variants and should not be listed with that designation.

If OSP applied smiley face stickers to a number of X-Force #1s and had Rob Liefeld sign them; then in turn sold them as OSP Authentic Editions would they receive the same "variant" designation from CGC?

While the above example might be to fanciful how about something more close. X-Men V2 #25 has two variants recognized by cgc. Dynamic Forces sold copies that were autographed, had a COA, and a holographic sticker placed on the bag as a "seal". These are not viewed as variants (nor any of the other millions like this), why? The only difference is the placement of the holographic sticker and the promoting company.

I fully support registry sets with variants (and those without) but a variant should be a variant not an autographed comic with a sticker on it from a business partner.

I do not believe anyone is arguing rarity as a reason for it not to be listed, the argument is that they are not a variants and should not be listed with that designation.

If OSP applied smiley face stickers to a number of X-Force #1s and had Rob Liefeld sign them; then in turn sold them as OSP Authentic Editions would they receive the same "variant" designation from CGC?

While the above example might be to fanciful how about something more close. X-Men V2 #25 has two variants recognized by cgc. Dynamic Forces sold copies that were autographed, had a COA, and a holographic sticker placed on the bag as a "seal". These are not viewed as variants (nor any of the other millions like this), why? The only difference is the placement of the holographic sticker and the promoting company.

I fully support registry sets with variants (and those without) but a variant should be a variant not an autographed comic with a sticker on it from a business partner.

(thumbs u

I apologize for necroing this nearly 3 year old thread but I just got bit by this nonsense.  Suffice it to say, these are still going out with green labels.  I mean, come on.  If it has a hologram, then it's suppose to come with an authentic signature.  If it doesn't, then it's either an incredible forgery or an error that's probably worth even more.

I wish I had found this thread first.  I would have left it ungraded.  At least it's protected.