• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Actually the dates on my site ARE correct AND are backed up by years of actual research.

Then something is wrong and I screwed up with the data, as the listings I have show DD historically coming out a week ahead of the Hulk. Was 181 as anomaly and came out a week early or something?

The week of release for many books changed over time. Looking at only a small sample, then applying those conclusions to other periods of time, can lead to inaccurate assumptions. I have done data collection and analysis for nearly every Marvel and DC book (and many other publishers) across all time periods. Not all periods have the same amount of release date data available. For example, Marvel from Aug 1969 to Apr 1972 is a mess for many reasons. However, the availability of data beyond May 1972 is in quite good shape.

Regarding DD and Hulk:

Up until July 1972 (DD89/Hulk153), Daredevil did come out the week before Hulk.

However, from Aug 1972 (DD90/Hulk154) to Sep 1975 (DD125/Hulk191), Hulk and Daredevil shipped together on the same day. The only exceptions to this were the months in which Daredevil was not released at all (Feb 1974 & Apr 1974). Obviously DD115 and Hulk181 fall during this time period.

Following this period, beginning with books dated Oct 1975 (DD126/Hulk192) - Hulk shipped two weeks after DD.

Also, for this period Marvel's cover dates did not align precisely with months of release.

For example all books cover dated November did not got on sale in August. A few actually went on sale the last week of July. That's why both Hulk 180 and 181 went on sale in July, the 2nd and 30th respectively. From 1972 through then end of the 1970s, DD was consistently in the first week of Marvel releases with a given cover month, though it did have several changes in frequency which caused it to miss months altogether. FF was consistently in the last week of releases for a given cover month.

I've know it since the books came out but tell CGC, they call it a "tie"

But they don't mean it came out the same day.

Since comics have almost universally (there are exceptions, of course) been dated month and year only, in that respect, it *is* a tie: Spidey #252, MTU #141, and Spect #90 all have a May, 1984 cover date.

Of course, anyone with sense will realize that #252 came out before the other two, or the surprise would have been spoiled (plus, MTU #141 would have confused the market.)

Seeing that 99.9% of collectors regard ASM 252 as the 1st black costume, and the "tie notation" label is fairly recent, it makes me wonder if someone at CGC is sitting on a case of MTU 141 hm

99.9% hahahahaha you did a survey?

Actually the dates on my site ARE correct AND are backed up by years of actual research.

Then something is wrong and I screwed up with the data, as the listings I have show DD historically coming out a week ahead of the Hulk. Was 181 as anomaly and came out a week early or something?

The week of release for many books changed over time. Looking at only a small sample, then applying those conclusions to other periods of time, can lead to inaccurate assumptions. I have done data collection and analysis for nearly every Marvel and DC book (and many other publishers) across all time periods. Not all periods have the same amount of release date data available. For example, Marvel from Aug 1969 to Apr 1972 is a mess for many reasons. However, the availability of data beyond May 1972 is in quite good shape.

Regarding DD and Hulk:

Up until July 1972 (DD89/Hulk153), Daredevil did come out the week before Hulk.

However, from Aug 1972 (DD90/Hulk154) to Sep 1975 (DD125/Hulk191), Hulk and Daredevil shipped together on the same day. The only exceptions to this were the months in which Daredevil was not released at all (Feb 1974 & Apr 1974). Obviously DD115 and Hulk181 fall during this time period.

Following this period, beginning with books dated Oct 1975 (DD126/Hulk192) - Hulk shipped two weeks after DD.

Also, for this period Marvel's cover dates did not align precisely with months of release.

For example all books cover dated November did not got on sale in August. A few actually went on sale the last week of July. That's why both Hulk 180 and 181 went on sale in July, the 2nd and 30th respectively. From 1972 through then end of the 1970s, DD was consistently in the first week of Marvel releases with a given cover month, though it did have several changes in frequency which caused it to miss months altogether. FF was consistently in the last week of releases for a given cover month.

I know in Sean Howe's Marvel Comics The Untold Story, they talk a lot about missed deadlines during that period as there was a lack of organization going on as many new writers and artists started working for Marvel...

The arrogance of some of these people is just astonishing.

Just astonishing.

You total and absolute lack of self-awareness is far more astonishing.

You are the very last person on these boards who can make that accusation.

So now we can all agree that DD 115 was the first appearance THE WOLVERINE advertisement?

So now we can all agree that DD 115 was the first appearance THE WOLVERINE advertisement?

Agree ? ........ Here ? :roflmao:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just astonishing.

No, I know *exactly* who I am, and make no bones about it. I'm a surly SOB with a mean streak a mile wide.

How you view yourself and how others do is also a mile apart.

Just astonishing.

No, I know *exactly* who I am, and make no bones about it. I'm a surly SOB with a mean streak a mile wide.

How you view yourself and how others do is also a mile apart.

That's why you are the very last person on these boards who can make that accusation.

You have not even the beginning of a concept of "how I view myself" and you barely know how others do.

I'm not so arrogant and selfish that I can't recognize that everyone, even the most obnoxious, has great value and worth...even you. That's not a claim you can make, because you simply don't care, and are proud of that fact, to your great discredit.

But, by all means, keep pushing it, and eventually the mods will have had enough of you.

[You have not even the beginning of a concept of "how I view myself" and you barely know how others do.

I'm not so arrogant and selfish that I can't recognize that everyone, even the most obnoxious, has great value and worth...even you. That's not a claim you can make, because you simply don't care, and are proud of that fact, to your great discredit.

But, by all means, keep pushing it, and eventually the mods will have had enough of you.

Give it up. You are a consummate blowhard, who believes he is superior to everyone else. :sumo: JC can be a , but at least he admits it. :grin:

[You have not even the beginning of a concept of "how I view myself" and you barely know how others do.

Give it up. You are a consummate blowhard, who believes he is superior to everyone else. :sumo: JC can be a , but at least he admits it. :grin:

So, just because someone "admits" they are a "", that gives them the ok to go ahead and be one?

Your estimation of me is inaccurate, and based on bias. If you were an honest man, you'd examine all of my posts, and see quite clearly that I do not "believe" I am "superior" to everyone else. I am anything but. I have been as you have charged: a consummate blowhard. A loudmouth. A condescender. A nit-picker. A fault-finder. Guilty on all counts. That does not mean, however, that I remain those things. What you see is only what you wish to see, not what is.

I could point out your shortcomings and crimes, and have in the past, and they're pretty bad (like "this board's Hall of Shame" bad), but what would that accomplish? Nothing.

And despite that, and your obvious need to "put me in my place", you are still worth far more than even you realize, Dunbar. Strange thing, huh?

My suggestion to you, as it was before, is to cut it out. Everyone gets it: you don't like me. I don't think very highly of you as you are, either, but I don't go out of my way to point it out every chance I get.

Go your way, and pretend I don't exist, as I do, you. Enough with the harassment.

This thread has spun out of control. If this was a wrestling match chairs would he flying into the ring. :popcorn:

Three man steel cage match? Who to pick? Maybe JC....all those times saying saying we are breadstick arm nerds.....that guy has to be packing the guns. lol:popcorn:

I like all three of you guys and enjoy reading your opinions on the hobby. :)

So I've seen some DC (I forget what exactly) 100 super spectacular presents whatever First He-Man in Comics going for some pretty decent swag. Is that something new or has that book been in demand. And well, that might just be copper...

Let's discuss when the bronze age really ended. Would that be good? :kidaround:

One booth at WonderCon yesterday was entirely devoted to high grade CGC bronze. Not only that but he had a really well done display with integral board lighting and black covered boxes in front which really gave his booth a high end look. Prices matched the look.

Prices on nice average non-CGC bronze at the show were consistently $20. With Golden Age pretty much not around or stratospherically priced and Bronze Age an affordable entry point for new collectors I can't help but see a positive long term trend for good material.

One booth at WonderCon yesterday was entirely devoted to high grade CGC bronze. Not only that but he had a really well done display with integral board lighting and black covered boxes in front which really gave his booth a high end look. Prices matched the look.

Prices on nice average non-CGC bronze at the show were consistently $20. With Golden Age pretty much not around or stratospherically priced and Bronze Age an affordable entry point for new collectors I can't help but see a positive long term trend for good material.

When I saw the booth on Friday I was like wow...that's a impressive booth.