• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

Late to the discussion and haven't gone through all the pages so forgive me if I cover old ground.

Anyway, I remember a story about Adlard letting non-Zombie pages go for very little money at shows before he got gallery representation. I think non-zombie pages could be picked up for $50 or less. Ouch.

I did manage to pick up some some early Adlard full-size 11 x 17 WD pages as part of a bulk deal. Possibly Pre-Michonne but need to dig them out as I don't even have scans or remember what issues they were from. No zombies on any of them and I turned down the chance to pick up a couple more but still...anyway...

Moore was then also selling early pages but he has always asked for big money even when the book wasn't a bonafide hit so I stayed away. If I recall correctly, regular pages were over $500 a piece when Adlard's could be found for $50. Kicking myself now of course. Ahhh, hindsight. I must dig out that price list.

In any case, I understand the fascination with zombies but the book has always been about human drama and relationships, survival and such. Zombies are cool but they are a vehicle to advance the core human element of the story. Yet zombie pages have always commanded more $$$ than pages which are arguably more pertinent and core to the series.

Then again, the series is called Walking Dead.

Where's that Delorean now??

The only page I own with a scan is from #37 and it's a small DPS. That was the last WD OA I got.

WalkingDead37pp34.jpg

Edited by Shawn Low

:luhv: I love the DPS...........that's awesome!!!!!!

Wish I could relate to the whole I remember when the pages were cheap .........but I can't. I have been over paying for WD OA since I started collecting it lol

Late to the discussion and haven't gone through all the pages so forgive me if I cover old ground.

Anyway, I remember a story about Adlard letting non-Zombie pages go for very little money at shows before he got gallery representation. I think non-zombie pages could be picked up for $50 or less. Ouch.

I did manage to pick up some some early Adlard full-size 11 x 17 WD pages as part of a bulk deal. Possibly Pre-Michonne but need to dig them out as I don't even have scans or remember what issues they were from. No zombies on any of them and I turned down the chance to pick up a couple more but still...anyway...

Moore was then also selling early pages but he has always asked for big money even when the book wasn't a bonafide hit so I stayed away. If I recall correctly, regular pages were over $500 a piece when Adlard's could be found for $50. Kicking myself now of course. Ahhh, hindsight. I must dig out that price list.

In any case, I understand the fascination with zombies but the book has always been about human drama and relationships, survival and such. Zombies are cool but they are a vehicle to advance the core human element of the story. Yet zombie pages have always commanded more $$$ than pages which are arguably more pertinent and core to the series.

Then again, the series is called Walking Dead.

Where's that Delorean now??

The only page I own with a scan is from #37 and it's a small DPS. That was the last WD OA I got.

WalkingDead37pp34.jpg

I totally agree that this is a character book, predominantly focused on the Grimes family in the early stages... that DPS is beautiful (thumbs u and a stunning piece for any fan to own. A better example of what Adlard can do and tops most zombie / action pages, it's the polar opposite of the Governor DPS in front of his TV tanks.

I think the fascination with zombie pages will fade more over time as more become available... anyone collecting just a page or two of the art has a tough choice as to what they want to represent in their collection, there are few pages that have a bit of everything (not thinking of A+ pages here either as they are their own beast and usually relate to a key moment). Also there are many many pages with main characters on them that are just talking heads with no speech bubbles and they don't often have the full figure of said character drawn, which kinda makes the inclusion of zombies something cool but essetially not something that takes anything away from the quality of that DPS you have.

Maybe it's because the auction ended during the USA Portugal game? I seriously have no idea how to price these anymore. I'm guessing this was north of $750 when listed from Mark not too long ago. Yeesh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111383068188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by ComicsNYC22

Maybe it's because the auction ended during the USA Portugal game? I seriously have no idea how to price these anymore. I'm guessing this was north of $750 when listed from Mark not too long ago. Yeesh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111383068188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Could be could be...

I personally don't like the pencils and inks being done separately. Much prefer everything complete on one page. The art itself is looking a lot better since AoW in print.

Could be could be...

I personally don't like the pencils and inks being done separately. Much prefer everything complete on one page. The art itself is looking a lot better since AoW in print.

I keep saying the newer pages are overpriced.

If this was around $750 when first priced, then what does that say about the Tyreese/Axel Zombie page that sold for 750 on ebay a few weeks ago?

I think some these just ended at a bad time, I would of likely paid a bit more, but just came at a busy time. I think I did pick up the WD 100 9.9 you had for sale on a quick whim.

Was a nice page.

Dug up some early pieces of WD art I own. Nothing spectacular but it's from issue #10 (still large art!). Also #11 page 10.

Full cast...only just. If you squint or use a magnifying glass, you might spot Rick. lol.

WalkingDead10p18.jpg

RIP Glenn.

#11 p10:

WalkingDead11p10-1.jpg

Edited by Shawn Low

Could be could be...

Try $1000 :shy::sorry:

That's why those pages are still sitting up on splashpage.

I agree with Garf. The 2 pages are a lot. I'd rather own 1 page. The art does look better, but I believe it's cause of the larger pages and Adlard only having to do pencils.

Dug up some early pieces of WD art I own. Nothing spectacular but it's from issue #10 (still large art!). Also #11 page 10.

Full cast...only just. If you squint or use a magnifying glass, you might spot Rick. lol.

WalkingDead10p18.jpg

RIP Glenn.

#11 p10:

WalkingDead11p10-1.jpg

Cool early pages Shawn! (thumbs u

I think maybe the consignor should have just gone straight to James J and saved himself the seller's premium.

Its hit or miss.....I have made offers and been turned down only to see it go for less. Then on the flip side it also has gone the other way around.

Its been all over the board with prices as of late. Some of my recent pages came from collectors that didnt want to sell so no gauge to use there. If the seller had contacted me, I'm not sure what I would of said.

But I would of tried lol