• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

CC sold a FC only Bat 1 CGC for $3k+ this month.

Yup, I was watching that one, it went for $3,106. I also watched an All American #16 front cover only with a big chunk missing go for $2,766.

Per link below, 3/5 of the front cover of Action #1 went for $6,800 in 2009.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=300107

Any theories on why someone would be willing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars even on literally mere pieces of covers? Regardless of the rarity of the actual comic they came from I'm having a hard time seeing it.

-J.

My guess is that some people are spending this much money on covers or even big piece of covers of early Actions because they think that covers or even a big piece of covers will become much more valuable in the future as the supply diminishes and affordability of early Actions go further along into the stratosphere! EJR

If I had a coverless big key, I'd be actively searching for a cover.

I have several coverless big keys (Sup 1, Showcase 4, ASM 1, ...) for most of them a nice separate cover would cost as much as the complete comic. As well, most of separate covers are very ratty. I would be better off with a repro, is the issue about the cover or the story inside?

There is a pretty nice looking complete coverless Action 20 on Ebay right now. I wonder how hard it would be to find a cover for that? I have never bought a book with a married cover before. How would you even value a book with a married cover? EJR

I have several coverless big keys (Sup 1, Showcase 4, ASM 1, ...) for most of them a nice separate cover would cost as much as the complete comic. As well, most of separate covers are very ratty. I would be better off with a repro, is the issue about the cover or the story inside?

This one wasn't ratty...

act13.jpg

This one wasn't ratty...

act13.jpg

Thats a great book you have there Jeff! It must have been tough finding a cover in great shape! Wish I could afford it! EJR