• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-vein creasing on covers of early "prestige" format books

3 posts in this topic

I would like to get the input of those who have knowledge/experience with this issue.

DC Comic's earliest attempts at card stock binding - I think they referred to to it as "Prestige Format" at the time - had a rounded, slightly square spine and no bevel on the front and back cover. The first titles with this type of binding were Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, and History of the DC Universe.

The problem with this type of binding is that if the the cover was opened too far when reading it would produce a spider-vein type crease on the front and/or back cover. Sometimes this crease is slight and non-coloring breaking, other times it's more pronounced and breaks color.

DC quickly changed how they produced their "Prestige Format" books to what we now know as square-bound format - the books have a squared spine and bevels on the front and back cover near the spine which helps prevent creasing if carefully opened.

My question is regarding how CGC treats this spider-vein creasing.

I've gotten the itch to reacquire the DKR series. As a teenager in the late 80's, I had been fortunate enough to purchase unread copies that had no creasing. Unfortunately, those copies are long gone.

When contemplating this reacquisition, I simply assumed that purchasing CGC 9.6 or better in order to get copies that don't have this type of creasing. I was surprised to find that a number of 9.6 copies appear to have this creasing to varying degrees, but a few appear to not have it (assuming the scanned image isn't playing tricks on my eyes).

The logical assumption would be that I would have to pony up for 9.8 copies. And yet, I was taken aback to find that even some 9.8s have this spider-veining. Shockingly, one 9.8 actually appears to have a color-breaking readers crease on the cover.

So how does CGC treat this defect? Do they simply ignore it below 9.9?

More importantly, is it possible to get a CGC 9.6 copy of one of these books that doesn't have this type of slight creasing?

I know not all CGC 9.6 standard bound comics look the same (many look like borderline 9.8s). Does this apply to "Prestige" books as well?

If this has been discussed before, I'll humbly accept my "Use The Search Function Noob!" spanking.... just point me to the previous discussion.

Thanks for the help!