• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Decided to grab this the other day from SC. I've had a real low grade copy for 23 years and while I'd prefer universal the resto was limited to a cover cleaning. Plus the pages are OW/W.

Pep4_zps8664dfbe.jpg

Oddly enough, I have fond memories of when I first got my copy. I was 16 and I paid $20 for it at a flea market. Just looking at all the page flakes in the mylar I knew it was rough but I had a hole to fill. Popped it in a new mylar when I got home ... the removal and reinsertion was like brain surgery. Might have changed the backboard and mylar once since then for fear of it turning to dust. Brittle would be an upgrade. Maybe I'll throw a scan up later for fun, I haven't pulled the book in a decade.

Decided to grab this the other day from SC. I've had a real low grade copy for 23 years and while I'd prefer universal the resto was limited to a cover cleaning. Plus the pages are OW/W.

Pep4_zps8664dfbe.jpg

Oddly enough, I have fond memories of when I first got my copy. I was 16 and I paid $20 for it at a flea market. Just looking at all the page flakes in the mylar I knew it was rough but I had a hole to fill. Popped it in a new mylar when I got home ... the removal and reinsertion was like brain surgery. Might have changed the backboard and mylar once since then for fear of it turning to dust. Brittle would be an upgrade. Maybe I'll throw a scan up later for fun, I haven't pulled the book in a decade.

Terrific cover. Makes me want to start collecting MLJs.

Pep4_zps8664dfbe.jpg

:applause:

I am glad you won. I bailed out as it wasnt a high priority book for me. Like your self, the PLOD didnt bother me on this book.

Pep4_zps8664dfbe.jpg

Great stuff as always. I was eyeing a Pep Comics #17(1st Hangman) on eBay, cgc 3.0. The restoration was limited to amateur 'cover gloss ', so I decided not to pull the trigger(not knowing what cover glossing is, is it a substance that will harm the book over time, etc). I would LOVE to post more books here, but I wish CGC would have had the picture posting process simple as just going into your own pic files on your computer, so I just stick to 'my slabbed comics'. Keep em' coming!

Still my favorite MLJ, cover by the great Irv Novick:

CGCPepComics34_zps9c895f27.jpg

one of the "trinity" of what I call MLJ's "Timely" covers. The other two being Zip Comics 22, and Zip Comics 32(which I own a copy). One day the budget and copy and timing will bring this one to my collection too. Nice!

Nice! I am in the process of obtaining a copy of this scarce book too from Metro(on a time pay which my final payment goes out this week). It's the 'Rockford' copy. I will try and post it here(but if not I will surely put it on 'My Slabbed Comics' and give you all the heads up when I do.

Nice! I am in the process of obtaining a copy of this scarce book too from Metro(on a time pay which my final payment goes out this week). It's the 'Rockford' copy. I will try and post it here(but if not I will surely put it on 'My Slabbed Comics' and give you all the heads up when I do.

YES PLEASE! Nice buy! Def wanna see it. :applause:

YES PLEASE! Nice buy! Def wanna see it. :applause:

As promised, here it is, just arrived in the mail today! I will be posting on 'My Slabbed Comics' also today, along with ANOTHER pedigree comic, (but since that one is not an MLJ, i can't post it here, you'll just have to check out 'MSC', lol. Enjoy. (btw, FINALLY figured out how to post here!! :banana:BlueRibbonComics18Rockford_zps78dac0d9.jpg