• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

Great to look at these awesome books. Definitely a keeper book for the long term. Seems like Feige has a major man crush on the Doctor and based on his track record, I am not betting against the guy.

Happy to be a part of this club!

Here's a group picture of my boys:

st110_group.jpg

My Stan Lee signature CGC 5.5:

st110cgc.jpg

This was a coverless copy that I made a custom cover for:

st110custom.jpg

Now my unslabbed raw copies

Copy A:

st110_A.jpg

Copy B:

st110_B.jpg

Copy C:

st110_C.jpg

Copy D:

st110_D.jpg

Copy E:

st110_E.jpg

My brand new (but beat up) Pence copy:

st110pence.jpg

Finally, the extremely rare Los Fantasticos #35:

Los35.jpg

And by the way everyone... Really nice books. Any copy is nice to find, but those 7.0,s 7.5s, 8.0s, 8.5s, and 9.0s and especially anything higher are things of beauty.

Here's an interesting dilemma for an obsessive comic collector...

When I started my Dr. Strange collection in 2002, I tried to buy a nice mid-grade copy of Strange Tales #110, 111, 114 and 115 each year from a convention. Back in 2005 I had a decent job and could afford to spend $1000 at Wizard World in Long Beach. My goal was to get a raw Strange Tales 110 that I could get graded as a 9.0 or higher.

I get to the convention and CGC is grading on site, so I go on the hunt.

Metropolis Comics had a raw copy they graded as a 9.0 (and they are extremely reliable in terms of grading BTW). Easily the nicest copy there. They've had years of experience with CGC and tell me although the book is amazing that they can't absolutely guarantee it would be a 9.0 or higher and may be an 8.5.

Instead of buying that beautiful copy (which I think did come out a 9.0 when it was eventually graded. Anyone at Metropolis Comics know?), for the same price I decided to get:

1. A copy of Strange Tales #115 that graded at 7.5

2. A raw copy of Strange Tales #110 (I think it's my Copy B above)

3. A low mid-grade raw copy of Strange Tales #111 that I would grade a 3.0

4. 2 raw copies of Strange Tales #114 both in the 5.0 range

and

5. A Dr. Strange sketch by Alex Ross:

alexrosssketch.jpg

WOULD YOU HAVE DONE THE SAME THING?

Edited by wdb23

Went to one of the LCS's today and they had a small box of Silver Age coverless books, the guy in front of me was thumbing through the copy of ST 110 and I'm saying to myself, "please put it back, please put it back." He did and I got it, first copy I've ever actually held.

For a coverless copy it's actually quite clean and the $23 price was a no-brainer

<a  href=ST3.jpg' alt='ST3.jpg'>

So I wanted to buy a coverless ST 110 and I saw one at auction on ebay.

I figured I could get it for $100 - $150 easy.

IT SOLD FOR FREAKING $282!!!

Insanity! This is for a coverless issue! I know ST 110 is hot but come on....

Here's the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161278894756?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Here's the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161278894756?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Loooooooooooooooong overdue for this book to increase in value. This book has been way too undervalued for decades. The movie hype has brought it to where it should have been years ago.

Here's the auction:

Loooooooooooooooong overdue for this book to increase in value. This book has been way too undervalued for decades. The movie hype has brought it to where it should have been years ago.

I agree, and am a huge fan of the book, but $282 for a coverless? I bought a 5.0 a couple years ago for $500 and I think I bought a coverless a couple years ago for $40. It's hard to wrap my brain around these new prices.

Here's the auction:

I agree, and am a huge fan of the book, but $282 for a coverless? I bought a 5.0 a couple years ago for $500 and I think I bought a coverless a couple years ago for $40. It's hard to wrap my brain around these new prices.

I hear ya. Try wrapping your mind around a Walking Dead #1 going for $2,000+...

About time i posted mine as well!

StrangeTales110CGC90.jpg

I know that this thread is old, but I wanted to thank you for posting this photo of your graded comic. I see that it has a CGC blue label with a note "6 siamese pages cut apart" under the grade (VF/NM 9.0).

I am glad to see this because I recently purchased a Vampirella #19 that otherwise looks NM with 2 siamese pages cut apart. Prior to finding this thread (which I searched for high and low), I came across a few other threads on this forum where people insisted that siamese pages cut apart would be given a purple (restored) label for trimming, which made no sense to me because trimming involves removing part of a book; whereas cutting apart siamese pages does not (unless someone additionally removes part of the interior pages by cutting). Siamese pages that have been cut apart look a lot nicer than siamese pages that have been torn apart, based on the few photos I have seen.

Edited by comicdiablo