• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

I'm taking a long hard look at available pages from All Out War (hey I just realized what AOW means) to pick something up. I love being able to get original pencils - the art is so much more detailed than when it gets inked, you really see the artist's style shine.

Not sure what to do with the inked version, wall space is a problem. I have one dark thought that popped in my head and keeps nagging at me to see it realized. I doubt I'll go through with it, I'd hate for it to catch on because it really would be disastrous for the hobby.

I'm taking a long hard look at available pages from All Out War (hey I just realized what AOW means) to pick something up. I love being able to get original pencils - the art is so much more detailed than when it gets inked, you really see the artist's style shine.

Not sure what to do with the inked version, wall space is a problem. I have one dark thought that popped in my head and keeps nagging at me to see it realized. I doubt I'll go through with it, I'd hate for it to catch on because it really would be disastrous for the hobby.

Buy the set and sell the inks to re-coupe a portion of the money spent? (shrug)

Buy the set and sell the inks to re-coupe a portion of the money spent? (shrug)

If that is what he is talking about, I think the real question is whether or not there would even be a market for just the inks.

There's no reason you can't split the inks and the pencils, once you buy it it's yours. It wouldn't be disastrous for the hobby as such... just a shame that you don't have the complete art. You would just have to make sure you are very clear about what you are selling.

Are you sure you want something from AoW? What is it that you want from a TWD page? Does it have to be a specific character, several main characters, a zombie, a character and a zombie, an action page? Are you looking for something that ticks all your boxes or considering maybe 2 or 3 pages to eventually achieve that?

Selling the inks separately is okay, but take the time to write a note on the back explaining that the work is ink over blue lines so that later buyers will know what they are getting - art used to print - and what they are not getting - pencils and inks on the same page.

BTW, I have one piece where I found the pencils and inks in separate towns quite by accident. I bought the inks first and then found the pencils.

Click to embiggen:

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

I'm mixed on Adlard. His artwork is really up and down, sometimes it feels very rushed with little detail. But he can also put out some nice pieces. I think he does a great job at framing the action like a cinematographer. And he can really create that feeling of dread.

But Tony Moore is my favorite of the two artists. I love the detail of the zombies and I enjoy the cartoonish nature of the central characters. I was hoping that he would come back to the comic some day. But I know that will never happen.

I would love to find a couple pieces from the first few issues and maybe a good zombie killing piece from Adlard. I think the prices have been getting really aggressive but as always, just waiting for the right piece to come when I have the money on hand.

Good discussion.

I think Walking Dead popularity (including for the original art) is less about the art and more about the story.

Personally, I like Adlard hands down above and beyond Moore for this book specifically in the way it sets the mood as horror drama. Moore wasn't able to capture the ominous tone and emotions as well, in my opinion.

Similar to Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" - I'd say there's many better Batman artists in technical rendering than Frank Miller, such as Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Marshall Rogers, Tony Daniel, David Finch and of course Jim Lee, but the Frank Miller artwork fit the Dark Knight story.

I think the only other artists I'd like to see do Walking Dead other than Adlard that come top of mind right now would be Sean Philips, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller and Tim Sale.

I really like what both have brought to the table for the Walking Dead. I first started Collecting WD OA late in the game. Yes they are both different and bring something that is of their own. It makes it a little bit more fun trying to track down TM pages because you just don't see many hit the market.

Love'em both and I really enjoy the series.

I think the only other artists I'd like to see do Walking Dead other than Adlard that come top of mind right now would be Sean Philips, Mike Mignola, Frank Miller and Tim Sale.

Me too with Sean Philips, he has the right style and also a lot of experience experience with stories that are quite character driven.

I really like what both have brought to the table for the Walking Dead. I first started Collecting WD OA late in the game. Yes they are both different and bring something that is of their own. It makes it a little bit more fun trying to track down TM pages because you just don't see many hit the market.

Love'em both and I really enjoy the series.

I like them both but for me Adlard now is the TWD artist. He's been doing it for so long now it's evolved and eclipsed how it all started. That's not taking anything away from Moore's talent (clearly talented) either, it's just how the series has grown on me over time. Moore's pages will always be significant.

Sean Phillips' Walking Dead :cloud9:

poo3.jpg

(worship)

So how did that one come about? I don't remember seeing it before...

I believe that was done for a Splash Page sketchbook a few years ago. As was this one:

adlard_wd_calendar.jpg

MAJOR potential SPOILER alert regarding art after All Out War

Preview covers for issues 127 & 128 are showing a new female character with no sign of any previous known character. Rumors are the book may continue going forward with an entirely new cast, Kirkman has not ruled this out as a possibility. If true - there may be potential to grab a whole lot of major 1st appearances in the coming year.

Is it a good time for those of us who missed out on early TWD pages?

Or perhaps the book will jump the shark?

Thoughts?

TheWalkingDead_127-e1392779900583.jpg

128.jpg

Edited by Carl Elvis

Preview covers for issues 127 & 128 are showing a new female character with no sign of any previous known character. Rumors are the book may continue going forward with an entirely new cast, Kirkman has not ruled this out as a possibility. If true - there may be potential to grab a whole lot of major 1st appearances in the coming year.

Thoughts?

128.jpg

Interesting....

I seriously doubt the entire cast in the comic will be killed off or eliminated.

Thoughts?

128.jpg

Interesting....

I seriously doubt the entire cast in the comic will be killed off or eliminated.

I agree, I don't see them doing that unless the mystery woman is Judith Grimes that somehow survived Lori's death.

My first published Walking Dead art arrived yesterday. It was difficult choosing from all that art so I went with a nice group shot. Pencils look great but the inks really pop. For future pages I'll be looking for art that contains the character's signature details such as Carl's hat, Rick's missing hand, Michonne's headband or sword, etc.

88e4c2f47a9d4a1ec5b47fed24f34b00.jpg

Edited by Carl Elvis