• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,936 posts in this topic

I have a good reason for asking. I have a few NM+ copies of X-Men #221 and X-Men #239 (Mister Sinister on cover). :grin:

X-Men22169issues.jpg

X-Men23981issues.jpg

5wY23R5.png

I remember when you talked about picking up that collection, and all the 9.8's that came out of it.

I have a good reason for asking. I have a few NM+ copies of X-Men #221 and X-Men #239 (Mister Sinister on cover). :grin:

X-Men22169issues.jpg

X-Men23981issues.jpg

5wY23R5.png

I remember when you talked about picking up that collection, and all the 9.8's that came out of it.

Are those price tags on the 221s? What were they going for?

X-Men22169issues.jpg

X-Men23981issues.jpg

5wY23R5.png

No...they're not price tags. I got into the habit of placing 2 (or more) stickers on the top front of each bag. I've been doing this for over 10 years now.

On the 1st sticker I state the issue number and year of publication. Why? Many of the old Gold Key and Whitman comics did not state an issue number on the front cover. You had to look inside to get the issue number. And I like stating the year of publication on the front also. It helps me to sort out Modern books from Economy books when submitting books to CGC.

On the 2nd sticker I state the grade and asking price. I'll add more stickers for things like 1st appearances, whether a Marvel value stamp is intact or not or special notes to myself like a cover loose from one staple, centerfold loose, cutout or missing pages, etc.

When I first started doing this, I was dumb enough to leave the comic in the bag when I wrote on the stickers. This caused an indentation on the front cover of the book that a few people griped about. I had to learn the hard way. No mas....no mas.

And on average, I think I paid about 10 cents each for these books about 6-7 years ago. They came out of a shop in Chicago. :grin:

No...they're not price tags. I got into the habit of placing 2 (or more) stickers on the top front of each bag. I've been doing this for over 10 years now.

On the 1st sticker I state the issue number and year of publication. Why? Many of the old Gold Key and Whitman comics did not state an issue number on the front cover. You had to look inside to get the issue number. And I like stating the year of publication on the front also. It helps me to sort out Modern books from Economy books when submitting books to CGC.

On the 2nd sticker I state the grade and asking price. I'll add more stickers for things like 1st appearances, whether a Marvel value stamp is intact or not or special notes to myself like a cover loose from one staple, centerfold loose, cutout or missing pages, etc.

When I first started doing this, I was dumb enough to leave the comic in the bag when I wrote on the stickers. This caused an indentation on the front cover of the book that a few people griped about. I had to learn the hard way. No mas....no mas.

And on average, I think I paid about 10 cents each for these books about 6-7 years ago. They came out of a shop in Chicago. :grin:

So why no stickers on the 239s?

That's a good system - and one that probably takes a lot of time. If only more sellers were as helpful.

I don't sell at conventions, but I write the grade and comments in pencil on the back of the board.

So why no stickers on the 239s?

That's a good system - and one that probably takes a lot of time. If only more sellers were as helpful.

I don't sell at conventions, but I write the grade and comments in pencil on the back of the board.

I just hadn't gotten around to placing stickers on the X-Men 239s yet. I took these pictures right after I bought the books 6-7 years ago.

The stickers will leave dents on the front covers.....

No, they don't.

I have re-bagged a few books that I bought at cons that had stickers on the bags and sometimes the stickers do leave marks on the books inside. You might only be able to see the mark if you hold the book at a certain angle or in a certain light. It also probably depends on the thickness of the bag and how tightly the books were packed in a box, and for how long, etc, etc, but it can happen.

No, they don't.

I have re-bagged a few books that I bought at cons that had stickers on the bags and sometimes the stickers do leave marks on the books inside. You might only be able to see the mark if you hold the book at a certain angle or in a certain light. It also probably depends on the thickness of the bag and how tightly the books were packed in a box, and for how long, etc, etc, but it can happen.

Yes, it can. I've seen it countless times. That's why I never use stickers for anything and immediately rebag anything with one.

Sometimes the dent is extremely deep.

No, they don't.

Yes, it can. I've seen it countless times. That's why I never use stickers for anything and immediately rebag anything with one.

Without a doubt stickers will leave impressions over time depending on the way the book is stored. Even the flap of a bag could leave an impression if stored too tightly together.

No, they don't.

Without a doubt stickers will leave impressions over time depending on the way the book is stored. Even the flap of a bag could leave an impression if stored too tightly together.

I concur. It's rather annoying buying a book and seeing an impression. As mentioned they are sometimes not obvious and can only be seen from an angle but it happens.

No, they don't.

This is correct. I've seen that too. (thumbs u

No, they don't.

This is correct. I've seen that too. (thumbs u

Anybody want to help me remove stickers from about 60,000 comics? :insane: