• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Picked up this pretty recently...

13757239895_6e65eecb1c_c.jpg[

IMHO the Zip Comics covers can give the Timelys a run for their money any day, for sheer schlock value, bondage, torture, propaganda, patriotism, and suggested violence.

Ditto and the stories are 1000x better...

Nice pick up Gino!!! any other treasures you need to tell us about?? :popcorn:

Yeah yeah, I owe this thread a post myself.

Picked up this pretty recently...

13757239895_6e65eecb1c_c.jpg[

IMHO the Zip Comics covers can give the Timelys a run for their money any day, for sheer schlock value, bondage, torture, propaganda, patriotism, and suggested violence.

Ditto and the stories are 1000x better...

Nice pick up Gino!!! any other treasures you need to tell us about?? :popcorn:

Yeah yeah, I owe this thread a post myself.

Thanks Foxtrot, and glad you knew I meant 'shock' value, not 'schlock'. I owe a post too, but anyone who follows my posts know how hard I find it to post scans to this board. I will give it a try again.

Thanks guys!!! and yes sir I do my friend :grin: Just so happens to be another #28 (not that you can tell from this issue) but I am sure anyone reading this thread knows what book this is :whistle:

N

13771065903_4e37479c5a_c.jpg

Nice!! Comiclink has a high grade copy coming up in their next major auction I believe.

I've had this copy for a while now ... thinking of submitting it. That top left corner is a bit muted, and there is a weird scuff on the right edge, but the book is flat, tight and pages are super white. Curious to know what it would grade.

Jackpot6_zpsde6c43db.jpg

I've had this copy for a while now ... thinking of submitting it. That top left corner is a bit muted, and there is a weird scuff on the right edge, but the book is flat, tight and pages are super white. Curious to know what it would grade.

Jackpot6_zpsde6c43db.jpg

Sweet!!! I'm going to go out on a ledge and say 6.0 from what I can see. Really nice book!

Jackpot6_zpsde6c43db.jpg

Sweet!!! I'm going to go out on a ledge and say 6.0 from what I can see. Really nice book!

(thumbs u Yeah I agree, i was thinking a fine condition. A perfect specimen from where I sit.

So call me crazy ... and I wish I didn't feel this way since I have a really nice run ... but don't you think Shield Wizard is kinda the red-headed stepchild of the MLJ titles?

SW3_zpsb03cff76.jpg

Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing. Shield is great, but the Wizard is dorky... and he is too powerful.

If I had been alive back then I would advise MLJ to dump the Wizard, and make a title focused on Black Hood, Hangman and Shield.

So call me crazy ... and I wish I didn't feel this way since I have a really nice run ... but don't you think Shield Wizard is kinda the red-headed stepchild of the MLJ titles?

SW3_zpsb03cff76.jpg

Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing. Shield is great, but the Wizard is dorky... and he is too powerful.

If I had been alive back then I would advise MLJ to dump the Wizard, and make a title focused on Black Hood, Hangman and Shield.

yeah, I guess you can say that, and there are some standout covers in the run. But I'd say the Mr. Justice 'Blue Ribbon Comics' covers get even less fanfare. And I feel Cooper gave MLJ's spirit of vengeance captivating covers that can go toe to toe with DC's Spectre 'More Fun' run(nos. 11, 13, and 14) come to mind. Two of which I own and posted on my slabbed comics.

This is definitely worthy of the :bump:

Maybe others have access, but I rarely get to see a Church copies like this.

Zip 1

9.8!! (worship)(worship)

Really nice! Do you feel 1st issue MLJ's (Zip 1, Special Comics1, Blue Ribbon 1, etc)are more 'plentiful' than mid and later issues in runs(which seem near impossible to find?)

This is definitely worthy of the :bump:

Maybe others have access, but I rarely get to see a Church copies like this.

Zip 1

9.8!! (worship)(worship)

Really nice! Do you feel 1st issue MLJ's (Zip 1, Special Comics1, Blue Ribbon 1, etc)are more 'plentiful' than mid and later issues in runs(which seem near impossible to find?)

Totally agree. You can pretty much take your pick of mid-high grade Shield Wizard, Zip, Blue Ribbon and Top Notch #1s. But as you said, the issues in the middle of the run rarely surface, and when they do they are usually in rough shape. Hangman are out there, but still not as plentiful as the others. Pep is similar to some degree... It's pretty easy to find Pep 1-21, but for whatever reason you don't see as many copies of 22-49.