• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

Finally found this JSA digest.

Who would ever thought that these 1980's books are difficult to get in 9.8's.

Please prove me wrong. Anyone (shrug)

2043418_Full_Obv_zps5b97d2b6.jpg

Never saw this one before, very cool!

(thumbs u

Another beauty, Vane. I used to think of Ross Andru as a mere hack, but the more I look at their work, I'm beginning to appreciate him more and more. His work on these Digests was first rate!

Edited by Stevenrams

Couple new additions I just added to my PC. I need #1 if any one has one available.

HexBRD2_zps0deabb6b.jpg

Another great digest cover in high grade. I love the colors on this cover.

HexBRD3_zpscad7f8fb.jpg

Wow!!

Nice copies.

#2 has that common defect that the back cover overlaps onto the front cover.

Can you kindly post scans of the back covers of those books?

Edited by vane

I like the Digests, but they are not really a focus - unless they are part of a run.

Haven't seen these posted in the thread (none are graded, but IMHO they are high grade).

Anyway, Adventure 491-503

Adventure1.jpg

Adventure2.jpg

Now, the last Adventure (503) of the run is kind of nice - Ross Andru has placed in the cover "border" lots of characters that appeared in the Comic over the years:

Adventure3.jpg

I finally finished my Adventure Comics Digest run. ADV #500 was the last one I needed to finish my run. And this particular issue was very difficult to get an 9.8, because for it's common printing defects. This series started in 1935 and ended in 1983. A nearly 50-year run on DC Comics second title when they started out. Does anyone remember when this series ended?

The book contains 146 pages!

Also, Please read the 3 page text feature written by E.Nelson Bridwell commemorating 500th issue of Adventure Comics.

Here's E.Nelson Bridwell bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Nelson_Bridwell

CGC did made a notation on the label of the E.Nelson Bridwell but where did they get it from?? Because that notation is not listed in the OSPG.

DOC041414-04142014043018-0001_zps805d8f27.jpeg

DOC041414-04142014043303-0001_zps2ee3cdca.jpeg

DOC041414-04142014043217-0001_zpsc56e6e0d.jpeg

DOC041414-04142014043235-0001_zpsc02b27df.jpeg

DOC041414-04142014043030-0001_zps74724ca2.jpeg

collage_zps205fd81e.jpg

Edited by vane

Congrats on finishing the run, Devin. That is awesome and tough. :applause:

I bought these when they came out and loved them. Still have them around somewhere. I picked up a batch of Digests from you quite a while ago too.

I did see the GCD indexer notes the Bridwell commentary.

http://www.comics.org/issue/358605/

"Nelson goes over the history of Adventure Comics and its predecessor titles, New Comics and New Adventure Comics. He covers several of the features that were a part of it, including Federal Men, Nadir, Sandman, Hourman, Starman, Manhunter, Superboy, Green Arrow, Johnny Quick, Aquaman, Legion of Super-Heroes, Congorilla, Tales of the Bizarro World, Supergirl, Black Orchid, Justice Society, a new Starman, and Dial H for Hero (among others). Includes six cover reprints from the series. (This sequence added 2008-09-07 by Allen Ross, replacing 6 cover reprint sequences.)"