• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

I am a HUGE Linsner fan - always have been since I first saw his work at the Mile High Comics shop in Southglenn Mall in 1993. I remember thinking that is was unlike anything I'd ever read, and the cover art was amazing and inspiring. There weren't many books available back then to buy, so it went into my box and over the years, I kept picking them up.

I really became fascinated with his rare stuff a few years ago. I stopped collecting all the mainstream books that are readily available, and started going after either rare or limited books. They feature great pieces of work that are hard to find, or don't turn up often. One of the really cool things about finding older Linsner pieces is that his inkwork is just as fun to look at as his paintings.

Most people may think that he just paints beautiful covers - in actuality, Linsner is an amazingly accomplished painter and illustrator - as well as an excellent writer. His interior work is excellent. He handles all mediums with mastery, and I enjoy his work as much as other modern comic masters like Dave Stevens.

I recently purchased a big CFD collection that had nearly every Linsner piece I was missing - many of his inked pieces and solicitations were in there. I'll throw up a few pieces of his pen-and-ink work here to get it started.

Special thanks to Frank / AsteroidComix - who is unequivocally the Linsner master with the highest registry sets of his work and has helped me out authenticating things and answering questions. Anyone who hunts Cry For Dawn books (especially the limiteds)knows how difficult it is to get a nice NM copy - Frank has all books except for one in 9.8. (worship)

Church of Dawn Fan Club - Newsletters, Pin and Member Card. Only two newsletters before Linsner and Monks parted ways. I have three total newsletters, order sheets, 'sorry we're late' letter, card, pin and sticker - as well as the 3-ring binder, just need to get that into the photograph!

CHURCHOFDAWN_NEWSLET01.jpeg

CHURCHOFDAWN_NEWSLET02.jpeg

CHURCHOFDAWN_PINCARDSTICK.jpg

I love the Cry For Dawn solicitations. To me, they are just a really cool throwback to the olden days where you used a flyer filled with awesome art to get people to buy your books. I'm missing #1, #2 (Found a #2 woohoo!), #5 1st printing and #6.

SOLICITATIONS_CFD01_WEB.jpg

SOLICITATIONS_CFD02_WEB.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

I found this oddball signed letter from 1991. Not sure where it's from, but it has a cool piece of art in it.

CFD_SIGNED_LETTER.jpeg

A lot of people consider the Cry For Dawn #3 HorrorCon to be the "holy grail" of Linsner stuff, but for me - it was the Sex and Death ashcan comic and solicitation sheet. It was self published and solicited right after CFD #1 and it has an undisclosed print run. Extremely hard to find and I don't think many have surivived, because it's basically a half-sheet photocopied comic book. It's great because Linsner's work is really kind of awesomely gory. The cover has some nudity, so I put it behind a spoiler tag

SEXANDEATH_FRONT.jpeg

SEXANDEATH_SOLIC_FRONT.jpeg

I've posted this before in other threads, but it seems appropriate to post it again...

CryForDawn1CGC96WA_zps36382ac7.jpg

Dawn1LookSharpEditionCGC98WA_zpseedce17b.jpg

Dawn1BlackLightEditionCGC98WA_zps51d1f8eb.jpg

I'm looking for the White Trash variant in 9.8 as well, in case anyone has it for sale...

Drama1CGC98WA_zps1939d054.jpg

Edited by Kaptain Kollektor

I'm looking for the White Trash variant in 9.8 as well, in case anyone has it for sale...

That book is always such a tough find in comparison to the Look Sharp - even though they have the same print runs.

I always loved the limiteds - the CFD limiteds were some of the earliest forms of the "virgin cover" variants. Way back in the day, according to Linsner, the only way to get yourself a limited edition was through direct mail only. You mailed CFD $10 and they sent you a limited through the mail. Sheds a little light on why so few of these are around in high grade.

CFD06_LIMITED_FRONT.jpeg

CFD07_LIMITED_FRONT.jpeg

CFD08_LIMITED_FRONT.jpeg

CFD09_LIMITED_FRONT.jpeg

The new collection I bought had a shortbox worth of high grade early Dawn stuff that I need to go through. The guy I bought it from said he had 45 copies of the original printing of Cry for Dawn 1 that were stolen from him years ago.....hard to imagine, but the early stuff was always in demand, even back then.

A lot of people consider the Cry For Dawn #3 HorrorCon to be the "holy grail" of Linsner stuff, but for me - it was the Sex and Death ashcan comic and solicitation sheet. It was self published and solicited right after CFD #1 and it has an undisclosed print run. Extremely hard to find - and Linsner's work is really kind of awesomely gory. It's nude, so I put it behind a spoiler tag

SEXANDEATH_FRONT.jpeg

This book is the grail for me as well. From all the research ive done on this ashcan I keep finding the print run being stated as 100 copies for the first print in 1989 and 50 copies for the second print from 1990/1 , the second print was only included in the Binder edition of CFD 1-3 which was limited to 50 copies.

Those are my two grails. The first print ashcan of Sex and death and the binder edition of CFD 1-3.

Edited by Silverdream

This book is the grail for me as well. From all the research ive done on this ashcan I keep finding the print run being stated as 100 copies for the first print in 1989 and 50 copies for the second print from 1990/1 , the second print was only included in the Binder edition of CFD 1-3 which was limited to 50 copies.

Those are my two grails. The first print ashcan of Sex and death and the binder edition of CFD 1-3.

Thanks for the info - I wasn't sure on the original one - and for the binder edition, I believe the © date was changed on that one, but I haven't seen one yet. The binder edition is one of my grail items from Linsner (along with a lettered/remarked Look Sharp edition and Pin Up Goddess edition).

Cry For Dawn #1 - Second Print - 2,500 copies :cloud9:

(First print was 10,000, third print was 6,000.)

0903962014_1200.jpg

(worship)

NICE book!

I have always loved this cover, and I went through probably half a dozen books trying to find the nicest one I could. I feel that this is a 9.6 or 9.8 candidate, super sharp:

CFD01_THIRDPRINT_FRONT.jpeg

CFD01_THIRDPRINT_BACK.jpeg

The new collection I bought had a shortbox worth of high grade early Dawn stuff that I need to go through. The guy I bought it from said he had 45 copies of the original printing of Cry for Dawn 1 that were stolen from him years ago.....hard to imagine, but the early stuff was always in demand, even back then.

It's true, they have been sought after for a VERY long time. For awhile, I picked up multiples of any issue because I enjoyed it so much.

More often than not, CFD's are not in that great of shape.

I have tons of oddity items. I'll have to post them someday. Phone cards, posters, prints, cards, calendars, etc.

At one point many moons ago, I even bought a number of the counterfeit editions for nothing. They still look pretty sweet.

Patrick

I am a HUGE Linsner fan - always have been since I first saw his work at the Mile High Comics shop in Southglenn Mall in 1993. I remember thinking that is was unlike anything I'd ever read, and the cover art was amazing and inspiring. There weren't many books available back then to buy, so it went into my box and over the years, I kept picking them up.

I really became fascinated with his rare stuff a few years ago. I stopped collecting all the mainstream books that are readily available, and started going after either rare or limited books. They feature great pieces of work that are hard to find, or don't turn up often. One of the really cool things about finding older Linsner pieces is that his inkwork is just as fun to look at as his paintings.

Most people may think that he just paints beautiful covers - in actuality, Linsner is an amazingly accomplished painter and illustrator - as well as an excellent writer. His interior work is excellent. He handles all mediums with mastery, and I enjoy his work as much as other modern comic masters like Dave Stevens.

I recently purchased a big CFD collection that had nearly every Linsner piece I was missing - many of his inked pieces and solicitations were in there. I'll throw up a few pieces of his pen-and-ink work here to get it started.

Special thanks to Frank / AsteroidComix - who is unequivocally the Linsner master with the highest registry sets of his work and has helped me out authenticating things and answering questions. Anyone who hunts Cry For Dawn books (especially the limiteds)knows how difficult it is to get a nice NM copy - Frank has all books except for one in 9.8. (worship)

(worship)

Great idea for a thread. (Thumbs u

A lot of people consider the Cry For Dawn #3 HorrorCon to be the "holy grail" of Linsner stuff, but for me - it was the Sex and Death ashcan comic and solicitation sheet. It was self published and solicited right after CFD #1 and it has an undisclosed print run. Extremely hard to find - and Linsner's work is really kind of awesomely gory. It's nude, so I put it behind a spoiler tag

SEXANDEATH_FRONT.jpeg

:whistle:

1351158_Full_Rev_zpsb6831661.jpg