• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a piece of OA, my first one so I'm going to have a really good look round first to make sure it's something I love. I'd really like to own some art by Riley Rossmo, in particular something from Dia De Los Muertos but I can't seem to find anything for sale other than a few pages from Proof. Is it standard practice to email the artists directly and ask?

Looking to buy a piece of OA, my first one so I'm going to have a really good look round first to make sure it's something I love. I'd really like to own some art by Riley Rossmo, in particular something from Dia De Los Muertos but I can't seem to find anything for sale other than a few pages from Proof. Is it standard practice to email the artists directly and ask?

It doesn't hurt!

PM sent. I'm Riley's art rep. Will be happy to help you find what you're looking for!

Hey guys,

Just received my first few oa pieces. Curious how se more experienced members display them. Also how they protect them.

I bought a 4 piece lot that all came in one sleeve and with 1 hard backer. Any good places to find some more?

Thanks

Rich

If you're framing art, museum quality glass is recommended, for storage, a lot of people use portfolios like these from Itoya: Itoya Art Profolio

If you're looking for more art, there's a dealer list in the Original Art Marketplace, as well as members selling pieces. You can also find it on auction sites such as eBay, Comiclink & Heritage.

Dealer List in OA Marketplace

And most importantly, you should read through this thread for some great advice.

Good luck!

If you're framing art, museum quality glass is recommended, for storage, a lot of people use portfolios like these from Itoya: Itoya Art Profolio

If you're looking for more art, there's a dealer list in the Original Art Marketplace, as well as members selling pieces. You can also find it on auction sites such as eBay, Comiclink & Heritage.

Dealer List in OA Marketplace

And most importantly, you should read through this thread for some great advice.

Good luck!

All good advice from Doc.

You can also go here to see how other board members have FRAMED THEIR ART

Honestly, there are so many different personalities out there and so many personal guideline, that it really does relay largely on the individual. The only hard fast rule that I stick to, after losing my mind and a few pieces over the years.... come up with a high dollar amount that you are willing to pay and stick to it. That way, you will avoid missing out on a piece you love and will also be ok if you miss out and have no regrets.

Honestly, there are so many different personalities out there and so many personal guideline, that it really does relay largely on the individual. The only hard fast rule that I stick to, after losing my mind and a few pieces over the years.... come up with a high dollar amount that you are willing to pay and stick to it. That way, you will avoid missing out on a piece you love and will also be ok if you miss out and have no regrets.

... and I think you are entitled to do that after years of discovering for yourself what have been both the good and bad experiences.

... and I think you are entitled to do that after years of discovering for yourself what have been both the good and bad experiences.

Entitled to do what... lose my mind?

I'm new to the boards and to original comic art collecting. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all great advice and tips posted here. It's definitely enlightening for a noob like me. I currently don't own any original art.

The only piece of art I own is a Bruce Timm art print of The Flaming C, Conan O'Brien's superhero. Not sure of the rarity, but I haven't seen anything like it. The closet thing I've seen are promotion posters on eBay, for Conan's comic con appearance. In either case, I bought it cause Bruce Timm and Conan are awesome, the print looks great, and it's ridiculously funny.

I'll probably sell the majority of my comic collection to partially finance future art purchases. I have my heart set on anything Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen, especially Dan Jurgens work.

I'm new to the boards and to original comic art collecting. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all great advice and tips posted here. It's definitely enlightening for a noob like me. I currently don't own any original art.

The only piece of art I own is a Bruce Timm art print of The Flaming C, Conan O'Brien's superhero. Not sure of the rarity, but I haven't seen anything like it. The closet thing I've seen are promotion posters on eBay, for Conan's comic con appearance. In either case, I bought it cause Bruce Timm and Conan are awesome, the print looks great, and it's ridiculously funny.

I'll probably sell the majority of my comic collection to partially finance future art purchases. I have my heart set on anything Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen, especially Dan Jurgens work.

WTTB!

There are a lot of knowledgable OA collectors here; don't hesitate to ask a lot of questions to make sure you're comfortable in what you are wanting to buy. I made a few missteps when I first started collecting that I probably would not have made were I aware of this forum.

Thanks Hekla :)

1.) Know the difference between blue line pencil and blue line printout.

noob question...I assume blue pencils are actual penciled drawings which are inked while a printout is a copy which is inked. Is that right? How does this play into whether or not to make a purchase or negotiating a price? Are blue printouts less desirable?

Thanks Hekla :)

1.) Know the difference between blue line pencil and blue line printout.

noob question...I assume blue pencils are actual penciled drawings which are inked while a printout is a copy which is inked. Is that right? How does this play into whether or not to make a purchase or negotiating a price? Are blue printouts less desirable?

Inks over a blue line photo copy were never desirable in the past, but that has changed in the modern age with digital inks and digital coloring. The art of inking over original pencils seems to be slowly going away.

Personally I have no interested in blue line copy printouts…because at the end of the day is still a copy even if it has original inks. Others feel different and would place a higher value on a blue line copy with inks because they were part of the process of making the book.

Part of the allure of collecting OA over comic books was that there could only be one. Now you can have two originals, one pencil, and one ink. The original pencils will always be more desirable in this cases. Some collectors place it at 60%-40% Pencils over inks. But that’s up to you to decide depending on different variables such as penciller, inker and the what book is it from.

I place the emphasis on original pencils and inks together.

As a point of reference, I bought the pencils and inks for a printed page for one of Daniel HDR's Legion stories. I paid:

• $100 for the pencils to a dealer
  • $40 for the inked blue lines directly to the inker (Bob Wiacek)

I think a 60/40 split is probably pretty common. I think my 70/30 split reflects the fact that one was direct from the artist and the other came through a dealer.

Here's the piece, click on it to read the Description field to learn a bit more about it including a brief discussion of what the inker changed and why.

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

At the end of the day, both pieces are part of a production process. Different people prefer different stages, e.g.,

• some like the pencils because they are what the storyteller created,
  • some prefer the inked blue line because that is what was used to print the page (and inkers do change things),
  • most would prefer a page with pencils, inks, and lettering, but those days have passed.

Hope this is useful.