• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

He's spent so much on "paper goods" that he can't afford to heat his home. Next he'll have to resort to burning Obadiahs in the hearth!

Hey Jack,

I'd throw my kids in the hearth to stay warm before Obadiah Oldbuck!

( prudent thing to do ....children burn slower than paper )

and when they're done, you get a much tastier snack

Jack

(on second thought, those Obadiahs are hemp so you'd get warm with a bonus!)

Sooner or later they will find an even earlier comicbook.They always do.

Hey Peter......keep this quite. I spent $50k on 3 Oldbuck's last year, and I think Ciorac was about to give me $75k for them.....then I could reinvest in a VG Action #1 and I'll be set for life....don't blow this for me! gossip.gif

BLABBERMOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!

frustrated.gifmakepoint.gif

Seriously, I have seen some very fascinating material in this thread. Keep it up. thumbsup2.gif.

OK, here's one more interesting image and little tidbit for you.........while doing some more research on Brainy Bowers (previously posted), I found an image of one other copy of this book....the only one I could find on the entire web. I am going to post it and show mine again, for a condition comparison. ( also, you will notice the coloring was different on the cover,,,,there are several printing variations of this book...all printed in 1905). The tidbit is: when you collect Platinum Age books, VG+ is the best to hope for with regards to condition for 90%+ of books from this era. A fine 6.0 would be as rare and desirable as a NM 9.4 on a Golden Age book. As a previous collector of Silver Age comics in NM, this was quite an adjustment for me as you might imagine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Now when I recieve a call or email to see if I'm interested in buying a Platinum book, my 1st question is "is the cover still attached?".....something I wasn't worried about when I was focusing on Brave and the Bold #28.

So "what's the appeal?", and "I don't get it"...2 things I'm asked over and over again. It's simple: Platinum Age (1897-1937) collecting is EXACTLY like Golden Age collecting...just a different pool of books to focus on. Here's an example---these are things found in the Platinum Age market:

1. Grails, keys, semi-keys and commons

2. a nice mix of buyers and sellers exist in the marketplace

3. condition is very important

4. high demand books are VERY easy to sell (this suprises most people)

and are mostly Gerber 9's --- don't quit your day job if you want to be a full time dealer in these 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

5. you lose money if you pay too much for something, and then sell

6. you profit if you "buy right", and then sell

7. poor conidtion books get restored, and sell for less than the same grade unrestored

8. Grails are very expensive--just have 1 less "O" after the dollar sign compared to a GA book

$15k ( for now) vs. $150k

9. historically important 1sts with regards to comic book developement are the driving force of demand, whereas it would be character 1st appearance for a GA book.i.e....Comic Monthly #1 - 1st 10 cent monthly newsstand comic book

More Fun #52 - 1st Spectre

10. as a piggyback to no. 9, occassionally you have the combo of very high demand, very rare ( 10 or less copies ), historical 1st AND key character intro...then you have a GRAIL! hail.gif(here are 2 as an example):

Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats - 1897 ( THE big book to have / the "Action 1" of the Platinum Age)

1st Platinum Age comic book

1st and ONLY comic book featuring The Yellow Kid

1st comic book to print the words "comic book" - back cover

Detective Dan Secret Operative No.48 - 1933 (very rare and elusive / the "Pep 22" of the Platinum Age)

1st original art comic book

1st single theme comic book

1st newsstand comic book

1st appearance of Dan Dunn

1st appearance of Wu Fang

typical condition for a comic book from this era

1500825-brainy.jpg

exceptionally nice and rare condition for a comic book form this era

this is 1905 high grade!!

1500825-brainy001.JPG

1500825-brainy001.JPG.19b25b12b46f37f1d37b799339d772cf.JPG

Hey gang... hi.gif

I just recieved one of my most anticipated purchase of the year today...it's huge!!!...measures just over 11x16 and the pages are still very supple with awesome Outcault artwork...(I love this guy)...

I do have one question that hopefully someone can answer...the publisher of this book is W. R. Chambers and the names "London and Edinburgh" are one the front page...I assume this means that the book was published in England...so what I'm wondering....is this book less rare and less valuable than the American version???...

busterbrownandtige.jpg

Hey gang... hi.gif

I just recieved one of my most anticipated purchase of the year today...it's huge!!!...measures just over 11x16 and the pages are still very supple with awesome Outcault artwork...(I love this guy)...

I do have one question that hopefully someone can answer...the publisher of this book is W. R. Chambers and the names "London and Edinburgh" are one the front page...I assume this means that the book was published in England...so what I'm wondering....is this book less rare and less valuable than the American version???...

busterbrownandtige.jpg

nice book....to answer your question, I do not know if the British or US version is rarer, but US versions are always more valuable than the UK printings( here in the States, that is) --- sorry crazy.gif

nice book....to answer your question, I do not know if the British or US version is rarer, but US versions are always more valuable than the UK printings --- sorry

Value is not that much of a concern since I wanted the book none-the-less...I'm sure it is fairly rare just for the fact of it's age...just good to hear other opinions on the book... thumbsup2.gif

Hey gang... hi.gif

busterbrownandtige.jpg

nice book....to answer your question, I do not know if the British or US version is rarer, but US versions are always more valuable than the UK printings( here in the States, that is) --- sorry crazy.gif

Congrats Showy

Not a comic book per se, but I thought it still might interest people. This was published in 1931. Walter T. Foster (1891-1981) was a well-known artist, instructor, and collector who produced self-help art instruction books. No doubt he had some influence on the early pioneers of the comic age.

Foster.jpg

Hey gang... hi.gif

busterbrownandtige.jpg

As i look thru the posts which built up while gone on a two week comicon-trek too Big Apple NYC and Columbus MidOhio, i came across this query.

The early oblong USA comic books were published on some sort of regular basis in both the UK and France, as far as i can ascertain.

I have quite a few Brit copies of Buster Brown in my collection as well as a scarce French edition of the first one Buster Brown and His Resolutions from 1903

I also have a Brit edition of FUNNY FOLKS by FM Howarth 1899, pretty scarce, reprints from PUCK's back cover mostly, diff cover than the USA edition, as well as Brit editions of the C&L Bringing Up father series which began in 1919

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

BTW...how do you guys store these things...is there a special size mylar that I can buy???...

There are some oversized Mylar-ish sleeves available thru several different archival supply catalogues and on line....I order from a Co.called Bags Unlimitied Inc. 1-800-767 BAGS. You can also buy acid free buffered tissue paper, wrap the book like you would a present, and use archival tape. As corny as this might sound, it gives you a nice custom like holder for your books form this time period......and it's easy to "crack it out" and read wink.gif

This is my first real Platinum book - just came in the mail earlier today.

Illustrated Tarzan Book No. 1 (Grosset & Dunlap 1929) - Reprints Hal Foster's adaptation of ERB's novel Tarzan of the Apes from the first 60 dailies of the newspaper strip. The text is actually abridged snippets from the novel itself. It's very cool - I couldn't put it down until I'd read the whole thing. Foster is amazing!

hail.gif

8417TarzanBookfcsm.JPG

875TarzanBookintsm.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks! Our Single Series 20 discussion the other day had me jonesin' for some Foster Tarzan, so I had to pick up something to get my fix. smile.gif

I should have the Metro copy today. I missed FedEx yesterday when they came by.