• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

When folks hear of Atomic Age books they figure that you're talking about Horror, Science Fiction, Crime and Good Girl comics. The more outrageous the book is, the better it is. Since there are already threads devoted to these, this thread is for genres that get eclipsed by their more shocking counterparts.

So post all your Atomic Age superheros, westerns, romance, adventure, and war!

Hey Adam,

I posted something similar here - Early Non Superhero/Horror Type Atom Age recently.

Seems we be at odds and not at odds. Mine is a bit more specific - no Timely, DC or continuiing SuperHero books. To me these type of books help typify the Atom Age - but it is a fine wire to walk.

Maybe, between these two threads, we can get to the core of the AA evolution! You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

Hey Adam,

I posted something similar here - Early Non Superhero/Horror Type Atom Age recently.

Seems we be at odds and not at odds. Mine is a bit more specific - no Timely, DC or continuiing SuperHero books. To me these type of books help typify the Atom Age - but it is a fine wire to walk.

Maybe, between these two threads, we can get to the core of the AA evolution! You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

I made contributions to that thread flowerred.gif (and so should everyone else with the right books 893naughty-thumb.gif) and I was thinking that this thread would primarily focous on 1950-1956 (pre-Showcase 4) books. These get less "press" because so many are not pictured in Gerber.

I made contributions to that thread (and so should everyone else with the right books ) and I was thinking that this thread would primarily focous on 1950-1956 (pre-Showcase 4) books.

Man you be fast, Adam Strange! grin.gif

But on a more historical note, do you consider 55-56 as including the Atom Age in the comic book realm? For me early - middish '55 hearkened the end of the Atom Age with the intorduction of the code.

As a comic collector I tend to hold the code as the end of the Atom Age. But I also confess this is a pre-code horror collector's view, since side-by-side covers of the pre-code and post-code titles (well, those titles that survived) showed major influences and much tamer covers and even titles than the pre-code did.

But you know what? As a horror movie poster collector from the 30's through the 50's I see an continuation of images that while being published as a movie poster, would not be published as a comic book.

It brings up a really interesting issue. Why would movie posters be allowed to show, for example, creppy Moile People carrying off classic Good Girl Art women in the post comic code 1956 Mole Poeple?

Man - the more I type the more intriguing this whole post-code thing becomes in light of a D. J. Skal socialological perspective.

Whatever! I hope both of our threads do well. And I hope these threads will enhance the late 40's/early 50's comic experience! 893applaud-thumb.gif