• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So...

Is GIJOEISAWESOME going to HoS?

I don't think that will be necessary given that 12 year olds are not allowed here.

Maybe a third list of 12 year old boys?

I would go put that in the out-of-context thread but jeez... :ohnoez:

So...

Is GIJOEISAWESOME going to HoS?

I'd vote to back it.

+1

He can beat "cereal-bowl-haircut" Connor as the youngest inductee into the H.O.S. :facepalm:

Wasn't CapFreak 15 or around that age? He's in the HOS, no? What's the diff? (shrug)

Exactly. The list to me is not just a general awareness of scammers, but an historical account as well.

I think the username, along with ebay username should be known and avoided.

Archived and complied so that future generations can look this guy up and verify he was a scammer, no matter what username or personality he next comes up with. In a few years we KNOW this is going to happen. He will be back.

Hopefully, we are ready to move on to another discussion so here we go.

I recently purchased several books from a Board member that were "lost by USPS". At the same time, another Board member was offered and purchased one of the books as well (neither of us knew this at the time). His book was "lost" as well. Again, neither of us knew about the other as a buyer of the book; however, through a bit of coincidence, we ultimately found out. There are more details, etc. but the basics are as follows:

- both sold the same high dollar book by another Board member- serial # and pictures match;

- both paid using credit card via Paypal;

- told our package "missed the USPS cut-off for an electronic label to be shipped". We were given tracking numbers tied to our Paypal transactions that noted electronic label created but no further updates were ever made;

- after several stories (not his fault, told the package made the deadline, package missed deadline and would be returned to sender, package lost), it became clear we were not getting the book;

- when we asked for a Paypal refund, we were both told the same quote; "Unfortunately I allocated the funds for other assets and therefore have to

wait until the claim clears in 30 days" and told to start a Paypal claim;

- both of our claims were eventually paid although not as easily as it should have been;

Bottom line is that both of us were made whole by Paypal, but we may have been "hung out to dry" had we not used a credit card (hard to say how the buyer protection would have gone). Since we are not out any money, I am not sure there is a specific remedy as I believe, is typical for potential PL transactions, I am not sure whether this deal qualifies; however, I am concerned that other Board members might incur a similar experience. I also feel it may be a HOS rather than PL discussion.

I realize I have not named the Board member or listed the book as it seems the merits and potential actions would be the same (but perhaps not). With that, let the discussion begin.

Ed Robertson

So, you're saying that someone sold two people the same book (same serial #'s) at the same time, told them both it shipped, then told them both it was "lost", and forced you both to make claims to get your money back.

If all of that is accurate I don't think there's anything else to call it but a scam.

The fact that you both got reimbursed by paypal probably means that, unless you actually want him to complete the transaction for the book, the only recourse (given what sounds like criminal activity) would be be discuss if the HOS is in play.

High dollar book scams that seem as straight up as this one (2 buyers, one book, both shipped at the same time and "lost") are scams that boardies need to be informed and warned about before the person can repeat the same actions on them.

You were both lucky to get your money back.

So, you're saying that someone sold two people the same book (same serial #'s) at the same time, told them both it shipped, then told them both it was "lost", and forced you both to make claims to get your money back.

If all of that is accurate I don't think there's anything else to call it but a scam.

The fact that you both got reimbursed by paypal probably means that, unless you actually want him to complete the transaction for the book, the only recourse (given what sounds like criminal activity) would be be discuss if the HOS is in play.

High dollar book scams that seem as straight up as this one (2 buyers, one book, both shipped at the same time and "lost") are scams that boardies need to be informed and warned about before the person can repeat the same actions on them.

That is the story and I agree that we were both lucky. If we had not known each other, this might not have even been discovered.

As for outing, I would still like to proceed with the merits or facts of the situation to determine whether HOS is warranted although I would certainly think so.

Ed

:o

Do folks not realize encased books have registry numbers that can be traced back to them?

That is the story and I agree that we were both lucky. If we had not known each other, this might not have even been discovered.

As for outing, I would still like to proceed with the merits or facts of the situation to determine whether HOS is warranted although I would certainly think so.

Ed

At what point (in your timeline) did you and the other buyer become aware that you had both purchased the same book?

:popcorn:

Not until after the refunds. I posted in my WTB thread that I had a large transaction fall through and the seller made the error of telling the other buyer that he was mailing out another package to an Arizona buyer- he knows me and when we started talking, it all fell into place.

What was the overlap between you buying the book and the other individual buying it? Also did you both buy it from the same thread (i.e both claim :takeit:) or was one of you approached to buy it in some other fashion?

Can you give us an approximation of the value of the book (ballpark works)? I'm trying to figure out the scam aspect (i mean what he hoped to gain) My guess is that the person needed gap financing for 2 weeks and used you guys as a loan. Seems HoS not PL worthy to me, but still need some more details and the sellers side of the story.

Can you give us an approximation of the value of the book (ballpark works)? I'm trying to figure out the scam aspect (i mean what he hoped to gain) My guess is that the person needed gap financing for 2 weeks and used you guys as a loan. Seems HoS not PL worthy to me, but still need some more details and the sellers side of the story.

Over $5000.

I cannot say for sure but he did withdraw the Paypal funds such that Paypal had to fund the refunds, not him. We are in the process of contacting Paypal's fraud department as well.

What color jacket was the seller wearing, and did he speak with a lisp? hm

Not sure if you are asking a serious question but this was not an in-person transaction.

I was being a smart a. Sorry. Keep going. But I think you should just out them, let them tell their side etc.

Edited by Awax