• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,132 posts in this topic

It was suggested by Weird over in the Greatest Bronze Age War Bokks thread that we start a Bronze Age War Thread. The Bronze Age had awesome war books. So let's celebrate them.

In the Spirit of the Infinite Horror and Romance Threads started by two of our fellow forumites, here is the Infinite Bronze Age War Thread.

And what a thread it's going to be...

I really love Kubert's cover art on most of the BA war books, and the stories seem cool. I guess I am just leery to get started on this genre cause I know I will never stop and I am not even close to finishing my BA horror collection.

off124.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is one of my very few war books. I just started getting into War. Now after reading a little about them from you guys, NOW I'm gonna have to get serious about them and buy ALOT more ..... foreheadslap.gif766104-SSWS.jpg

766104-SSWS.jpg.110eaf4130b4d9e0a15d3f820f5b2f93.jpg

I really love Kubert's cover art on most of the BA war books, and the stories seem cool. I guess I am just leery to get started on this genre cause I know I will never stop and I am not even close to finishing my BA horror collection.

It could have been detrimental to DC war books to have the same artist do so many of the covers, but I really think in the end the consistency and quality that is provided by a master like Joe Kubert only helps to elevate the titles. His style is brilliant and the images were always first rate.

766105-DCSUPER.jpg

766105-DCSUPER.jpg.c62e9f86e1ee3dff2e55fea3264f36e5.jpg

Edited by Weird

Love that cover BassGMan. The looks on the faces - just great Kubert stuff.

I'll double post these G.I. Combats here as well. Bronzejohnny, how about putting that SSWS 151 of yours up in here?

While not the most important, the Adams G.I. Combat covers are sweet and smaller "keys" in 70s war books:

G.I. Combat 201

765924-gi201.jpg

G.I. Combat 202

765925-gi202.jpg

I like to collect the bronze G.I. Combats because so many were Dollar Comics.

The upper book Dollar Comic-kind of damage is seen in both of my copies and it took me a while to find them that nice. They are Manitoba copies from Doug Sulipa - he graded them both out at 9.0.

To go along with what I think is the first issue of the unmasked Unknown Soldier (let me know if I am wrong in this assumption - I don't have the complete run and Overstreet doesn't indicate any particular issue),

SSWS 183:

765900-ssws183.jpg

I have a digital pic of the first page of the issue.

766162-IMG_0081.jpg

Nice work from Gerry Talaoc. The story is pretty brutal too. The US has to cap a Jewish girl at point blank range to keep his identity secret. I thought the death was going to be a trick or something, but no - he killed her to make sure his mission which included saving innocents wasn't exposed.

766162-IMG_0081.jpg.f7ddef3f4e7f41670f2bfa58dce278e2.jpg

Edited by Weird

very cool--so is this like the first unmasking of the Unknown Soldier? I read the title in the 80s and never saw him unmasked. I loved war books as well but my concentration during my readership days was primarily G.I. Combat, Sgt Rock, and Unknown Soldier.

The whole "Death appearance" in War is Hell looked like a "me too" as compared to Death in Weird War Tales. I haven't read that title, and although it was short lived, I was wondering if anyone could relate the stories--was it on-going, anthology, etc?