Page 1 of 12 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#7371327 - 01/21/14 03:30 PM ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing
Black Lantern Offline
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Europe

comicbookresources.com/

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some, leading to an interesting bifurcation of fandom: collectors and readers.

My Friend Dahmer cartoonist Derf Backderf is a longtime fan who, while downsizing his collection, wandered upon the uniquely placed Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). The avowed comic fan who followed his hobby into a career was shocked at the degree to which comics collecting had subsumed the readability of comics, especially given that “true collectors” would hermetically seal their comics in CGC “slabs,” leaving them unable to be read — you know, the original intent for the comic.

“For someone who has devoted his life to making comics, and who takes several years to painstakingly craft each one … to be *spoon* READ! … this is an abomination,” Derf wrote in a long post on his blog. “For baseball cards, fine. because you can still read everything on the card. With a comic book, 90 percent of the contents are lost forever! Most of these “collectors” wouldn’t know the difference between Wally Wood and Wally Walrus. They’re just collecting a number. It’s an affront to everything I hold dear.”

Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing” by buying CGC books and “then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins.”

#7371346 - 01/21/14 03:32 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: Black Lantern]
rob_react Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Gypsy Tramp And Thiefland
Amazingly, no one in the long history of CGC has had that opinion or done that exact thing. Definitely worth a CBR article.

#7371363 - 01/21/14 03:34 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: Black Lantern]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Under The Serious Moonlight
 Originally Posted By: Black Lantern

comicbookresources.com/

[i]

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some,

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#7371379 - 01/21/14 03:38 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: comix4fun]
Marvelfangirl Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: middle of nowhere,TX
Umm...you can still read the books by buying trades.
#7371382 - 01/21/14 03:38 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: comix4fun]
spideyfan76 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: In a world reduced to ashes...
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun

comicbookresources.com/

[i]

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some,

You misspelled Meep.

~Ditch Fahrenheit

"This isn't about Ditch's stick"

~Jeffro

#7371384 - 01/21/14 03:38 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: Black Lantern]
seanfingh Offline

You earn it. It's like MMA for nerds.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Iron Throne

comicbookresources.com/

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some, leading to an interesting bifurcation of fandom: collectors and readers.

My Friend Dahmer cartoonist Derf Backderf is a longtime fan who, while downsizing his collection, wandered upon the uniquely placed Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). The avowed comic fan who followed his hobby into a career was shocked at the degree to which comics collecting had subsumed the readability of comics, especially given that “true collectors” would hermetically seal their comics in CGC “slabs,” leaving them unable to be read — you know, the original intent for the comic.

“For someone who has devoted his life to making comics, and who takes several years to painstakingly craft each one … to be *spoon* READ! … this is an abomination,” Derf wrote in a long post on his blog. “For baseball cards, fine. because you can still read everything on the card. With a comic book, 90 percent of the contents are lost forever! Most of these “collectors” wouldn’t know the difference between Wally Wood and Wally Walrus. They’re just collecting a number. It’s an affront to everything I hold dear.”

Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing” by buying CGC books and “then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins.”

Wait until he finds out that someone has slabbed his Dahmer comic.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

#7371404 - 01/21/14 03:42 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: Black Lantern]
Substitute Duke Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: The Big Apple

Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing by buying CGC books and then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins. to go broke"

#7371405 - 01/21/14 03:42 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: seanfingh]
comix4fun Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: seanfingh

comicbookresources.com/

Wait until he finds out that someone has slabbed his Dahmer comic.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#7371415 - 01/21/14 03:45 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: spideyfan76]
comix4fun Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: spideyfan76
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun

comicbookresources.com/

[i]

You misspelled Meep.

#7371427 - 01/21/14 03:47 PM Re: ‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing [Re: Black Lantern]
joe_collector Offline

Ok ok. JC Superstar. But only because he martyred his ID.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Titan

comicbookresources.com/

It's highly interesting that when anyone posts an article that is in any way critical of CGC or its slabbing practice, the frightened masses always resort to mass-image SPAMMING in hopes that it will just all go away and they can get back to caressing their precious slabs.

Page 1 of 12 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Choice Uncirculated 1917 & 1915 Italian Liras
by fred13
08:51 PM
FSH- 1950-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 5FS, 1950-D Roosevelt MS67FT- Plus More!!
by Deerefan8420
07:40 PM
GreatCollections - CAC Highlights - Specialized Nickel Collection and More
by ianrussell
04:36 PM
ON HOLD- Nice scarce denarius of the Roman emperor Otho, 69 AD, NGC Fine
by lordmarcovan
06:03 AM
Comics Marketplace
2 copies of TOS 39 plus some other nice Silver Age
by gadzukes
01:14 AM
1940s Vintage Crime/Mystery Paperbacks: Ellery Queen, Charlie Chan, cheep!
by Point Five
11:28 PM
Revival #1 9.9 + more!
by PhAnTaSmV
10:20 PM
NYCC Enormous #4 Cover D
by Zacreth
09:16 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing Aspen Titles