• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

Spinoff topic from the valuation bracket thread, which has A–Level Preacher pages in the $3k to $5k bracket:

What constitutes a top Preacher page?

Vintage? Humor? Jesse? The Saint? Key moments? Blood? Cussing? The Word? Does it have to be from "the run"? (I don't know the difference, having read it in TPB format)

I know what my favorite pages are, but I get the feeling they are very different from the ones which command the most money.

Edited by J.Sid

Spinoff topic from the valuation bracket thread, which has A–Level Preacher pages in the $3k to $5k bracket:

What constitutes a top Preacher page?

Vintage? Humor? Jesse? The Saint? Key moments? Blood? Cussing? The Word? Does it have to be from "the run"? (I don't know the difference, having read it in TPB format)

I know what my favorite pages are, but I get the feeling they are very different from the ones which command the most money.

None of those elements hurt!

For me, it has to be Dillon from the run, first and foremost.

Early is good (but not necessary, at least not to me). Humor is good. So is drama (more related to key moments).

SoK pages seem to be most in demand. Outside of him, I'd want Jesse and/or Cassidy. Tulip and Arseface are nice bonuses.

Mostly, I know it when I see it.

Mister NotSoNice can hopefully elaborate further.

I was wondering this as well. I'd love to see an example of one too. I was also pondering what A-level Adlard Walking Dead pages would be. I know all the usual elements bump the price like zombies, key moments, first appearances, etc., but I didn't think that there were many Adlard interior pages in the $3-5k range.

Early is good (but not necessary, at least not to me). Humor is good. So is drama (more related to key moments).

SoK pages seem to be most in demand. Outside of him, I'd want Jesse and/or Cassidy. Tulip and Arseface are nice bonuses.

+1 ... I think that SoK and Jesse are the main characters people will be after. What about the pages below then as visual examples? A or B/B+?

2011-01-14_083736_Preacher36-06.gif

Preacher-20-page-5.jpg

The story itself has so many little sub plots and so much flavour there are simply too many moments to choose from. The 2nd arc is pretty damn special though.

I was wondering this as well. I'd love to see an example of one too. I was also pondering what A-level Adlard Walking Dead pages would be. I know all the usual elements bump the price like zombies, key moments, first appearances, etc., but I didn't think that there were many Adlard interior pages in the $3-5k range.

Regarding Adlard and TWD ... well. It can be confusing and I think it is too soon to say where "some" of these are going. There have been several interiors sold on the secondary market in the 3 - 5k range and a few hitting over $8k. 1st apps, interiors being reused in or as covers, #7 to #36 17x11 large art all Adlard & #1 - #48 the first telling of the story. Thing is if you have a 1st App or a Governor splash or an early splash or key moment then the page is probably going to be edging towards A+ not A, and it is the A+ stuff going for serious bucks right now.

As for the A stuff... well like I said I am not sure where that is going. I think it will evolve slightly over time as the art direction changes and the supply of zombie / splash / dps / etc increases. How do you rate one zombie page over another? The confrontations / action pages are pretty similar when you compare them. The #7 to #36 large art inked by Adlard has 160 zombie appearances on single or double pages counting actual walkers or deathblows and not what are technically corpses. A number of these are also distant/small or obscured appearances. Overall still a hard find, however I can't see them climbing to 3 - 5 K on that merit alone.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm as clueless on what a $3k-$5k page is myself. I've never purchased a PREACHER page in that range and certainly never sold any in that area either.

When I heard of the title, splash page that traded hands for 5 figures I was seriously, "WTF?"

I do know, however, that any page J.Sid owns is closer to the $150 dollar range, but I'm willing to pay him double that :baiting:

3-5k? Damn. In my hunt for a decent Preacher page I was thinking around the 2k mark. I quickly realized I'll never get a Saint page. Wanted a page from issue 12..., didn't look like it would happen. So I told myself I just want any page with Jesse using The Word. I thought I lucked out on the bay months back with this page. Jesse with a cig=check. Jesse using The Word=check. Jesse using The Word to make a point by making a klansmen himself=double check. All that and I got it for a decent price. Hopefully I can grab another page one day

5028C03E-F292-45EA-BD04-3865E6BF05DD-7723-000012C73B292C78_zpscfdf9f4f.jpg

Now THAT is the kind of page I love.... cool shots of Jesse, great Ennis dialogue, and a really funny scene/moment. That would be an "A" for me (but I wouldn't pay $3k-$5k for it)

It's weird also in that, for me, the more detailed linework of the early early issues affected my enjoyment in a negative way. Dillon clearly put much more time and work into them, but it wasn't until the panels became a bit more sparse/simplified that the pacing, humor and dialogue were able to hit their stride. (Though it could be just that Ennis had perfected his groove at that point and was really dialed-in to the characters.)

3-5k? Damn. In my hunt for a decent Preacher page I was thinking around the 2k mark. I quickly realized I'll never get a Saint page. Wanted a page from issue 12..., didn't look like it would happen. So I told myself I just want any page with Jesse using The Word. I thought I lucked out on the bay months back with this page. Jesse with a cig=check. Jesse using The Word=check. Jesse using The Word to make a point by making a klansmen himself=double check. All that and I got it for a decent price. Hopefully I can grab another page one day

5028C03E-F292-45EA-BD04-3865E6BF05DD-7723-000012C73B292C78_zpscfdf9f4f.jpg

I do know, however, that any page J.Sid owns is closer to the $150 dollar range, but I'm willing to pay him double that :baiting:

Make it $310 and ya got a deal, pilgrim. :grin:

+1 ... I think that SoK and Jesse are the main characters people will be after. What about the pages below then as visual examples? A or B/B+?

2011-01-14_083736_Preacher36-06.gif

Preacher-20-page-5.jpg

The story itself has so many little sub plots and so much flavour there are simply too many moments to choose from. The 2nd arc is pretty damn special though.

The Saint one looks like the type of page I would imagine sells for $3k+ (am I right? I've never owned a Saint page and have only ever seen 2-3 for sale). The thing with me personally though, is that the Saint pages were generally not funny pages, which is generally what I look for when I've shopped for Preacher pages in the past.

The other one would be more my speed. Though it's an action page, the line at the end is pretty great.

Didn't Albert sell a couple pages with large images of the Saint for around $3k-ish last year?

I sold the above-mentioned 5-figure issue #12 splash for $3200 in 2008.

When I bought my Preacher pages in 1999, I had a choice of buying the final three pages from issue 12 or this Issue #2 splash which would surely be expensive today:

u9Q9.gif

Edited by MachoGrande

Now THAT is the kind of page I love.... cool shots of Jesse, great Ennis dialogue, and a really funny scene/moment. That would be an "A" for me (but I wouldn't pay $3k-$5k for it)

It's weird also in that, for me, the more detailed linework of the early early issues affected my enjoyment in a negative way. Dillon clearly put much more time and work into them, but it wasn't until the panels became a bit more sparse/simplified that the pacing, humor and dialogue were able to hit their stride. (Though it could be just that Ennis had perfected his groove at that point and was really dialed-in to the characters.)

The thing I don't like about threads like these is they seem to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The next time an "A" page is listed on eBay/CLink potential bidders will think they need to bid "$3,000-$5,000" to win. Get two bidders thinking this way and the cycle is complete.

So, to the boardie reading this that is going to test the theory, please post a link so we can all watch.

Your right, seems like if there's any talk about any certain art the price magically jumps. I'm new to the art scene. But it's seems I jumped in at a time when everything is jumping up in price. I have my "nerd" room with comics, statues, posters etc...then one day I decided I want art, published art from my favorite stories to frame. First thing I wanted was an Alan Moore Swamp Thing page, and there is a certain dealer who has a good bit of it, but the prices are all over the place. Even when 2 decent pages popped up on eBay I was outbid. Then listed on his site doubled the price. It's a game of who has deeper pockets I suppose. So when I got a chance to get a preacher page, I'm thinking here we go, it's not the greatest page, but frame worthy, 2k was in the back of my head, thankfully it didn't end anywheres near that. In the end, it's a great hobby to truly have one of a kind pieces from great stories, I'll get my damn Swamp Thing page one day

Look no further....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1007916&GSub=75102

Memorable moment... check

Main character... check

Violence.... double check

Cursing... check

Cassidy biting a guard in the neck and then blowing up good.... check

Edited by aqualad34

Look no further....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1007916&GSub=75102

Memorable moment... check

Main character... check

Violence.... double check

Cursing... check

Cassidy biting a guard in the neck and then blowing up good.... check

So, are you saying that sum-bit is for sale :baiting:

The thing I don't like about threads like these is they seem to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The next time an "A" page is listed on eBay/CLink potential bidders will think they need to bid "$3,000-$5,000" to win. Get two bidders thinking this way and the cycle is complete.

So, to the boardie reading this that is going to test the theory, please post a link so we can all watch.

Yes, that's the downside to these threads if you're a buyer. But I think a good SoK page is going to hit $3K+ regardless of our chatter here. Not as automatic with a Jesse page simply because there are a lot of them.

Enjoying the pages folks are posting here...good stuff!

u9Q9.gif

:luhv:

If that one ever came up for sale, I would make a serious run.

I am not sure of any panel pages I would pay 3-5k for that didn't have SOK. Maybe a first appearance of something VERY early. But it would have to be pretty special..

I don't own any Preacher pages. Never have. Likely never will.

But $3-5K? I think that's high.

Maybe if you got the best of the best up for auction and two sets of deep pockets went after it.

Maybe.

Could someone kindly elaborate on the popularity of The Saint of Killers? I do not understand why this character is the most sought after for original art. I was mostly attracted to the journey of the three main characters and their love triangle. I could similarly understand a preference for nefarious Herr Starr in a showdown with Jesse or a comedic moment.