• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing odor from stinky comics?
4 4

84 posts in this topic

A while back I purchased some comics that are very smelly. I think they must have been stored in a box full of mothballs. It never concerned me too much because I really wanted the comics. But now I'm thinking that I'd much rather have them in a non-stench form.

My question is: How do you minimize the odor of old comics, or comics that have picked up odor due to problematic storage methods?

I've stored them with microchamber paper (and swapped it out), and it doesn't appear to have done much. I have also removed them from their mylar sleeves and left them out near open windows and let the breeze wash over them, for several hours at a time. That was only somewhat helpful.

I've heard that storing comics inside a thick newspaper can be helpful, with the newspaper fibers absorbing the odors. Does that work well?

What else can be done?

If this question has been answered elsewhere on the forum, please point me to the link. Thank you!

Put them in the freezer for a day or two. Kills most odors on anything printed.

I have done it in the past and it has worked like a charm. Just make sure that it's nothing too expensive.

Drastic changes in temperature or humidity can be destructive to paper. You'll kill the odor, but at what expense?

An ozone generator will kill airborne odors. I'm not sure if it would be as effective with paper. Also keep in mind that high levels of ozone can cause some serious breathing issues, especially if you have a sensitive system.

I wish I could offer a better recommendation, but I've never researched solutions to this problem.

get two containers, make sure one will fit inside the other.

load the larger one up with charcoal. put the smaller container inside the larger one

put book(s) inside the smaller container.

put lit on the larger container, closing everything up.

leave for a few days.

Ive heard Kitty Litter. Setting the book in the (clean unused) litter then covering it with more litter is supposed to absorb the odor.

I have done this. It did work.

What I did:

Plastic container and put kitty litter in it.

Then place something in the container that your comic will rest on suspended above the kitty litter. Close the container / lid.

Leave it for awhile. ( I left it for a week )

Take the book out, and leave it so it can air out.

It greatly reduced the smell.

Thanks for the answers! I might try the kitty litter method. Do you put the comic directly in the litter, or maybe put some newspaper around it first to keep it from getting the litter in the pages? I'd try the charcoal too but that seems a little more involved.

There are 8 comics in dire need of de-odorizing.

The following has worked for me each and every time. I did it to an issue of Action 132 just last month.

Find a shelf or dry flat surface. Open the cover of the comic. Turn a page every day until you've reached the back cover.

I know this could take a couple weeks, but it's cost- and worry-free. Works wonders on musty smells and lingering cigarette ick.

Each and every comic that I've done this to has aired out. And it didn't cost me any coin, better to be spent on more comics.

A while back I purchased some comics that are very smelly. I think they must have been stored in a box full of mothballs. It never concerned me too much because I really wanted the comics. But now I'm thinking that I'd much rather have them in a non-stench form.

My question is: How do you minimize the odor of old comics, or comics that have picked up odor due to problematic storage methods?

I've stored them with microchamber paper (and swapped it out), and it doesn't appear to have done much. I have also removed them from their mylar sleeves and left them out near open windows and let the breeze wash over them, for several hours at a time. That was only somewhat helpful.

I've heard that storing comics inside a thick newspaper can be helpful, with the newspaper fibers absorbing the odors. Does that work well?

What else can be done?

If this question has been answered elsewhere on the forum, please point me to the link. Thank you!

Is this a Bronze Age book ? Seriously, years ago there was a collection a dealer was selling that he referred to as 'the moth ball collection'. I still have one book from that collection. The cover colors just popped and the book was very fresh and supple. I have the book in a Mylite and Mylar and I cannot smell anything unless the book is removed.

Thanks for the answers! I might try the kitty litter method. Do you put the comic directly in the litter, or maybe put some newspaper around it first to keep it from getting the litter in the pages? I'd try the charcoal too but that seems a little more involved.

I had a wire frame type of thing used on grills for cooking and I put the comic on that above the kitty litter so none of it touches the book itself.

I also open the comic to the centerfold.

I swear by the following method. Used it on some of my books (some dating back to the 1700s which were smelling awful.

1) get a rubber maid tub (the deep ones)

2) Get a 10 pound bag of unscented cat litter and pour it all into the tub. Let it sit for an hour or so (to let the air particles settle as much as possible)

3) take a small container and put your book/books into it and place the container on top of the kitty litter.

4) Take 4 glasses/cups and fill them with baking soda. Place each glass/cup in a corner of the bin

5) Seal the top with saran wrap

6) put the lid on for 1-2 days

7) Go buy an unused paint brush or makeup brush.

8) open the lid up and gently brush off your books. The should smell MUCH better

Hope that helps

I swear by the following method. Used it on some of my books (some dating back to the 1700s which were smelling awful.

1) get a rubber maid tub (the deep ones)

2) Get a 10 pound bag of unscented cat litter and pour it all into the tub. Let it sit for an hour or so (to let the air particles settle as much as possible)

3) take a small container and put your book/books into it and place the container on top of the kitty litter.

4) Take 4 glasses/cups and fill them with baking soda. Place each glass/cup in a corner of the bin

5) Seal the top with saran wrap

6) put the lid on for 1-2 days

7) Go buy an unused paint brush or makeup brush.

8) open the lid up and gently brush off your books. The should smell MUCH better

Hope that helps

What books do you have that are that old!?

P.S I've also heard charcoal is good on smelly books.

Charcoal will work BUT can kick up a lot of dust and god forbid your books touch it, it will make a black mark on them. The books are old boring british books and some early american books as well as atlases lol