• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

I don’t like what I have seen of Frozen – both in terms of drawings and of story.

There is little Disney, but again, there is little Disney in most of what they are doing now.

If you go back and look at "Disney" it is surprising the variety that the studio delivered in the late forties after the initial slate of hits that you most consider classic "Disney". Films like Saludos Amigos, Make Mine Music and Fun and Fancy Free all broke the mold of what had come before.

The bottom line is the Studio was willing to try new things and I think that spirit may be back!

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

I pulled these out to read over the Christmas holidays. These are now my reader copies mostly bought in the early seventies out of the Buyer's Guide. Each was its own special treasure when I got it condition being less of an issue than the story. Last night I read Old Castle's Secret. Today it feels like Ancient Persia!

I got into Ancient Persia today; a great read and as fun as I remember. I don't think I have revisited that story in decades. My next pick is Magic Hourglass. At the rate I'm going I won't make it through the pile before the holiday ends. There is also a stack of WDCS I want to read. So little time; so many duck books!

Here's a shout out to a fellow Barks Buff and all around good egg AJD :applause:

We have a lengthy PM thread going, and a (long) time back I expressed an interest in procuring a WDC&S #239 - the one with the Bill Spicer and Malcolm Willits "in-joke" that has a science fiction author within the main story named as "Spicer Willits"

AJD indicated he may be able to help in this quest, and then . . . nothing.

I had forgotten all about it - until a package arrived addressed - not to me - but rather "Spicer Willits" at my address.

There were two comics in this mailer. Here's the first:

WCampS249755x1053_zpsc173d923.jpg

What was the other? Strangely, the extensive holdings here at Undercopy Manor do not contain a single example of Walt Kelly's Pogo/Okefenokee Swamp comics. None.

AJD saw a need and filled it. Here is my first Pogo, and what a cracker copy it is:

Pogo3766x1050_zps332d5e7b.jpg

Andrew indicated that this was part of a Secret Santa obligation.

Nonsense. I was not a participant - not through ill-will or malice, I just don't think it's fair to burden a Boardie with the largeish cost of shipping something all the way to Oz.

I am prepared to cop the charge going the other way - I'm accustomed to it - but I just don't like the idea that someone is presented with a large, unexpected shipping bill surprise.

Anyway, long story short this is a shout out to a great bloke I've never met.

Here's to you, AJD :golfclap:

Edited by Duffman_Comics

Here's a shout out to a fellow Barks Buff and all around good egg AJD :applause:

We have a lengthy PM thread going, and a (long) time back I expressed an interest in procuring a WDC&S #239 - the one with the Bill Spicer and Malcolm Willits "in-joke" that has a science fiction author within the main story named as "Spicer Willits"

AJD indicated he may be able to help in this quest, and then . . . nothing.

I had forgotten all about it - until a package arrived addressed - not to me - but rather "Spicer Willits" at my address.

There were two comics in this mailer. Here's the first:

WCampS249755x1053_zpsc173d923.jpg

What was the other? Strangely, the extensive holdings here at Undercopy Manor do not contain a single example of Walt Kelly's Pogo/Okefenokee Swamp comics. None.

AJD saw a need and filled it. Here is my first Pogo, and what a cracker copy it is:

Pogo3766x1050_zps332d5e7b.jpg

Andrew indicated that this was part of a Secret Santa obligation.

Nonsense. I was not a participant - not through ill-will or malice, I just don't think it's fair to burden a Boardie with the largeish cost of shipping something all the way to Oz.

I am prepared to cop the charge going the other way - I'm accustomed to it - but I just don't like the idea that someone is presented with a large, unexpected shipping bill surprise.

Anyway, long story short this is a shout out to a great bloke I've never met.

Here's to you, AJD :golfclap:

Talk about a great Christmas gift! Barks and Kelly; a double jolt of funny animal genius! Enjoy the books down under.

This might be one of the coolest things I own.

z_WDCampS_046_cover_proof_front_zps35f99202.jpg

I bought it on eBay as a 'discarded cover print' from the Dell archives. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a proof copy of the cover to WDC&S 46. The printer's registration marks in the margins suggest that it was never intended to be a final product. I actually got it as one of five - you can see the others in the war bonds thread.

The only trouble with this is how to display it? I could put the cover on some nice pages, but that would destroy the one of a kind appeal it has. I could frame it, but that would cover up the interior, which includes cool stuff like this (it is much prettier in real life - some scanner enhanced schmutz here):

z_WDCampS_046_cover_proof_interior_zps662060d7.jpg

In any case, it was easily the best $46 I spent in 2013. (And huge thanks to Point Five for playing intermediary for this 'ships to USA only' sale.)

Happy new year everyone!

Very interesting set. It seems almost too coincidental that a group of proofs from this particular month would have been kept together - I have never seen anything like it. It's fun to speculate whether they might have been used as documentation that the publisher met the war bond promotion requirements, whether they were used for pre-approval from the authorities, or whatever other purpose they might have served. In any case, they represent a neat little piece of history and mystery blended together.

This might be one of the coolest things I own.

z_WDCampS_046_cover_proof_front_zps35f99202.jpg

I bought it on eBay as a 'discarded cover print' from the Dell archives. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a proof copy of the cover to WDC&S 46. The printer's registration marks in the margins suggest that it was never intended to be a final product. I actually got it as one of five - you can see the others in the war bonds thread.

The only trouble with this is how to display it? I could put the cover on some nice pages, but that would destroy the one of a kind appeal it has. I could frame it, but that would cover up the interior, which includes cool stuff like this (it is much prettier in real life - some scanner enhanced schmutz here):

z_WDCampS_046_cover_proof_interior_zps662060d7.jpg

In any case, it was easily the best $46 I spent in 2013. (And huge thanks to Point Five for playing intermediary for this 'ships to USA only' sale.)

Happy new year everyone!

What a bargain!

I don’t like what I have seen of Frozen – both in terms of drawings and of story.

There is little Disney, but again, there is little Disney in most of what they are doing now.

If you go back and look at "Disney" it is surprising the variety that the studio delivered in the late forties after the initial slate of hits that you most consider classic "Disney". Films like Saludos Amigos, Make Mine Music and Fun and Fancy Free all broke the mold of what had come before.

The bottom line is the Studio was willing to try new things and I think that spirit may be back!

With all the due respect, I am not talking about this. :)

I have nothing against experimentations, on the contrary this is what they need.

I am talking about the overall vision, which should follow the lines of what Walt Disney meant it to be, and the little I have seen of the humour or dialogues in that movie have little to do with Disney (as a good portion of what they have been doing), although I agree there are good elements resurfacing (also in the comics, here).

Great pickup!!! :applause:

The only trouble with this is how to display it? I could put the cover on some nice pages, but that would destroy the one of a kind appeal it has. I could frame it, but that would cover up the interior, which includes cool stuff like this (it is much prettier in real life - some scanner enhanced schmutz here)
I would agree with you that they are cover proofs, most likely saved by editorial staff. You occasionally see items like these appear, though more often they are part of a much larger set when an editor's estate is liquidated or when a company sheds their old records. I keep items like these in extra large mylars designed for original art and keep them in my smaller original art portfolio.

Happy new year everyone!

What a bargain!

I can't remember what we bid, but I know it was many times that... astonishing that they finished so low. These covers are amazing in hand... the inks and gloss really jump right out at you.

'Grats again, Andrew, and good eye! :headbang:

I pulled these out to read over the Christmas holidays. These are now my reader copies mostly bought in the early seventies out of the Buyer's Guide. Each was its own special treasure when I got it condition being less of an issue than the story. Last night I read Old Castle's Secret. Today it feels like Ancient Persia!

Last night I read The Magic Hourglass; another book I haven't read in many a long year. It was also quite good and a fun early Scrooge appearance. Time is running out on the holiday fun but I will try to get to either Old California or Bear Mountain before the weekend ends!