• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

With Lady Mechanika #4 delayed, there seems to be a drop in demand and prices of back issues.

Initial prices in Ebay remain high, but sellers seem more willing to deal lately (at least some). I've always liked LM. The story's great, and the Joe Benitez art is excellent. I've been able to pick up a bunch of CGC copies for reasonable prices. I've even taken over the #1 registry spot for the LM set! This is my first venture into the registry and it's kinda fun (and expensive), more fun than I thought it would be. Also a great marketing mechanism for CGC, as it fires the competitive spirit and makes you want to send more books to CGC. I've even gotten into getting some yellow labels for blue labels I already have, for the extra points. (It would be more fun though if the registry updates happened more often.)

Here's a picture from my comic book room, displaying some of my LM CGC collection.

14920.JPG

See more journals by n2wdw

Edited by n2wdw

Joe's art is really good. Impressive collection. Crazy they're not worth more points, especially since some are SO limited. Really wish Joe was more committed to the book by producing new issues regularly...the guy, for whatever frustrating reason, just isn't motivated enough to get them done.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas!

Here's a few more pictures of my LM CGC collection. In the one below, the top row shows part of what I call my modern GGA 9.8 collection, most of which I've bought already graded, rather than raw and then grading myself -- for moderns, I pretty much want only 9.8 and above, and I stress too much over getting those grades when I submit myself.

Something I find interesting is how yellow labels can be used to make additional variants of a comic. Like the 2 LMs on the right on the 2nd row, where the same comic is a blue and also a yellow.

IMG_7375_zps63b9d1c5.jpg

This is probably my favorite Benitez LM cover. The one on the right even has a cool LM head-sketch by Benitez.

IMG_7377_zpsaa376b47.jpg

I keep my raw LMs in mylar in a magazine holder for easy access:

IMG_7369_zps214225a1.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

My favorite Lady Mechanika comics are these SS sketch covers. One even got a 9.9! I bought these from FrankJP here on the boards. In fact, I bought most of my LM CGCs from boardies, FrankJP as well as a few others. FrankJP told me he commissioned these from Benitez before a convention, so Joe would be able to work on them outside the rush of a convention. I think that approach worked as these sketches are better than others I've seen on the Web (although I'm biased of course). I believe FrankJP commissioned these from Benitez all at the same time, so he got the same edition number (71 of 200) on all 3. I'm hoping to contact Joe about getting the same number when #4 comes out, assuming they'll be a blank cover edition.

SSLadyMechanika0CGC98Benitezsketch267--300torso_zpsc587beb6.jpg

SSLadyMechanika1CGC99Benitezsketch267--200bust_zps5a678f2a.jpg

SSLadyMechanika2CGC96Benitezsketch267--100head_zpsd51ca6f9.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Hi Mike,

These look great, as well as your full collection, very nice!

I wanted to add a quick note that Par2ch was the facilitator who helped me with those particular Sketch Books, picking them up, submitting them. As expected, he did a great job, evidenced by maintaining a 9.9, not easy in a sketch cover that the artists are handling.

Have a Happy New Year!

Back when I was a kid and had to stay home for a cold or something, my Mom would always get me McDonalds for lunch and a few comics to read. It would always be two filet of fish sandwiches (my favorite) and large fries. And the comic would always be Dennis the Menace. Sometimes there might be some others too, like Richie Rich, but the stack would always include a few Dennis comics.

My mom passed away almost 20 years ago, right before I had my first child (who is now 18 and picking a college to go to next year). But I still have a great fondness for Dennis the Menace. I have almost every Dennis comic every published. They're not expensive to collect, although sometimes hard to find (and in high grade very difficult, although that is not a problem for me as I collect reading copies).

The first issue is kinda hard to find. Then, recently, Lone Star Comics (aka mycomicshop.com) had 2 for sale, a raw advertised at 1.8 and a CGC 2.0. (Here's the thing about mycomicshop -- if you see something you like on ebay sold by them, then immediately go to their website, as they sell the same comics on their website for less than on ebay. The prices mentioned below are from their website.)

The raw was about $250. It was too beat up for me, so I never really considered buying it.

The CGC 2.0 was about $475. Was this a good price? I don't know, I'd never seen a CGC graded copy of this comic before. Based on GPA, it seemed fair, but the sample size was small so who knows. I waited a few days, mired in indecision. I put it into my shopping cart along with a few $1 and $2 comics (to save on shipping, assuming I finally decided to pull the trigger). Finally, I decided to go for it. This, after I'd already spent way too much on comics this year, AND after I bought a nice comic my wife gave me for Christmas (more on that one later).

At the end of the day, I decided to buy it because you seldom see this issue, and I thought it looked good for a 2.0 blue label. It had clear flaws along the bottom, but overall the cover looks pretty good to my eye. And I really wanted this comic. (BTW, I just checked and the raw issue has also been sold). Anyway, here's the comic (from the mycomicshop website):

dennis1_zps8c414c43.jpg

Looks like this one will be my last buy of 2013, worked out a fair deal with dscott. I had a few Best Offers going on ebay but they all fell though. I really like this rendition of Gwen (and Mary Jane) by Dijana Granov. The huge busty Gwen sketches you see on ebay and CAF just aren't Gwen. (And the red Mary Janes on redheaded MJ are a nice whimsical touch.)

SSAvengers1CGC98DijanaGranov275_zps09f68d95.jpg

This year I've built a small Gwen Stacy CGC collection. I graded these two Gwen bookends from my collection, her first appearance and unfortunate death. I remember reading 121 when it first came out. I was cruising on my bike after delivering papers, and literally fell off the bike when she died. I was hoping for higher grades on these two, about +0.5 ... oh well ...

AmazingSpider-Man31CGC75100_zps903f7cc8.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC8060_zpse65052c0.jpg

I got this one in WW Chicago from Greg Reece, where he had a large selection of CGC books. I only knew to look for this book in his stock because the night before I'd surfed through his website looking for another book. We worked out a fair price, about 25% less than what seems to be the going price in this grade.

AmazingSpider-Man144CGC96160_zpsc1b652f5.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Here are a few others from my Gwen Stacy CGC collection.

I got this one off of ebay. It was one of the first CGC books I ever bought, and in retrospect I wished I had waited for a higher grade. But it was only $29.

SpectacularSpider-manAnnual8CGC9229_zpscb03bcfc.jpg

I bought this one earlier this year on ebay. By the way, I buy a lot of books on ebay, and I've only had 1 buy where it was a problem, and even for that one it could have been a case of miscommunication. So I don't really understand the threads where people say ebay is broken (I've never sold on ebay so I can't speak from a seller's perspective). Frankly, IMHO, people who complain about ebay are people who don't remember what collecting was like before ebay. Anyway, on this one I struggled between buying this 9.6, or waiting for a 9.8 to come on sale (as I didn't want to play the game of buying raw and submitting myself). In the end I bought this one, and I was able to get it for $29. By the way, Emma Stone is a GREAT Gwen Stacy!

AmazingSpider-ManTheMoveCGC9629_zpsaf6ce326.jpg

I got this one for $40, again on ebay. This one actually brings some bad memories. About 10 years ago at the Pittsburgh Con (a great con for buyers), a dealer had the preliminary sketch of this cover for sale. I didn't even bother to ask the price, thinking it would be too expensive. I've always regretted that, I should have at least asked.

Marvels4CGC9840_zps0aa56749.jpg

Ok, a break from comics. Since this is MY journal, I'm gonna post about other things I enjoy, one of which is food!

In SF, my favorite hotel is the Westin St. Francis on Union Square, and one reason is its Bourbon Steak restaurant. Beyond its long list of bourbons and great steaks, I like the high energy atmosphere, which I find rejuvenating on business trips.

Anyway, here's what I got during a visit last year in October. First, their amuse bouche, crispy fries with 3 sauces. More than once I've sat down here for just a drink and these fries:

BourbonSteak2013a_zps6050c88f.jpg

This is their Gulf Shrimp & Avocado Louie appetizer. It has a half avocado and they pile on the shrimp. If you love avocado you'd love this.

BourbonSteak2013b_zps0cb85da4.jpg

Finally, the main course, a bone-in medium rare ribeye with poached lobster, and a side of brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and topped with crispy onion straws. The bone's so good I packed it in ice and brought it home for my dog.

BourbonSteak2013c_zps3d6b76dd.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Damn that food looks good! Especially the fries.

BTW: Love your Gwen Stacy collection. Is it me, but it seems the little lady won't stay dead?

But honestly... Who do you prefer? Gwen or MJ?

SW3D

Hey SW3D,

Yeah, the fries are great -- and free! Can't beat that. But the steak's pretty good too ... The brussels sprouts were awesome (of course, anything with bacon is gonna be good).

I definitely prefer Gwen, but I think it depends on a blonde versus red-head/brunette thing, like Betty versus Veronica. I have to admit, though, Gwen died for me with 121; I read the clone saga but after that haven't kept up. Read some of Ultimate Spider-man but it's not the same Gwen. The original's the best for me.

Edited by n2wdw

Who doesn't love bacon?

Although Gentlemen prefer blondes, I got a soft spot for crazy redheaded chicks.

I'm thinking of posting a journal: "Hottie Thowdown: Comic Book Blondes Vs. Psycho Redheads!"

In my corner: Angela, Dark Phoenix, Medusa (Inhumans), Poison Ivy, Black Widow, Firestorm, Mystique, StarFire, Mary Jane against...

In your corner... well... you pick your blondes and lets see who wins. :)

SW3D

Supergirl, Power Girl, Black Canary, Saturn Girl, Invisible Girl, Katchoo, Pepper (Gwyneth version), Torchy ...

I think I win with just the 1st two (or the last 2) ;)

Edited by n2wdw

I can't believe you forgot my favorite comic blonde, Ms. Marvel... especially the way Frank Cho illustrates her! Damn is she gorgeous!

I may have to concede defeat... those first two are powerhouses!

Oh well... but watch out the next time... I'll be back with even more powerful reds.

SW3D

5 5