• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So now there's more than one instance of people saying their votes were uninformed and would vote differently after learning the facts.

Did someone suggest a cooling off period before starting a poll?

I didn't vote on the Menace thing because I didn't take it seriously. That is as honest as I can be. I didn't think there was any way it would even get off the ground.

Obviously, I am a screw up. It is like complaining about the President when you didn't go out and vote.

So now there's more than one instance of people saying their votes were uninformed and would vote differently after learning the facts.

I didn't vote on the Menace thing because I didn't take it seriously. That is as honest as I can be. I didn't think there was any way it would even get off the ground.

Obviously, I am a screw up. It is like complaining about the President when you didn't go out and vote.

No Politics (tsk)

I have the materials together to put it to a vote Re Beerbohm and could start it as early as tonight, the question is should there be a vote on him being added to the HoS. We have precedence of banned members being added (thehouseofcomics and red rocks come to mind) What do you guys think?

My understanding is that BLB promised to deliver the goods by Christmas. There is still mail delivery tomorrow -- December 24. I would wait a day.

lol

hm

I'm going to throw the nomination up now and if by some miracle Matt receives the pulps tomorrow I will retract the poll and publish a retraction and apology.

Ok. I have spent the last month as an impartial, independent council looking into this matter. I knew nothing of Robert Beerbohm, and had never heard his name mentioned until the situation with Matthew. I spoke with several boardies regarding his history and on three separate occasions requested input from other members. Some came forward and I spoke with them. I also used good ole Google-Fu to track down whatever I could on the Internet. I am going to focus on things which are not in dispute and ask that in any discussion other boardies focus on the same.

The situation started with Matthew42383, who paid $3,600 USD for 341 comics (pulps) which were never mailed and no refund given even after numerous communications. Mr. Beerbohm came to the boards on 11/29/2013 (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7211165#Post7211165) and assured that Matthew would receive his pulps. He has not and has not received a refund. This issue is now outstanding close to 8 months.

A second issue which has come to light is that apparently there is still a large, unpaid sum owed to Jean Bails, Jerry Bails widow, owed by Mr. Beerbohm. Her statement from Facebook (which has since been deleted) Jean Bails "I should probably add here that some refuse to buy from Bob because he owes me a lot of money for comics he sold from Jerry's small collection. I have given Bob some financial grace/leeway because of the enormous problems he has faced. The only way he can pay me back is by selling comics and memorabelia (sp?). So a boycott of Bob only serves to hurt me as well." These are the same comics he routinely refers to about how he never wanted to be involved in their sale but how he was basically dragged into selling them, then he sold them and kept the money, which he will (hopefully) eventually pay off .

So we have at issue 2 large transactions here where he has not followed through (one being a $3.600 purchase order and the second being a big $ consignment deal which he apparently has still all these years later not paid off, even though the books were paid for.) His M/O appears to be the same anytime anyone questions him or points out his defects.

1) Mention his history in comics

2) Apply for a hardship exemption because he has fallen on hard times for personal surgeries and the like.

3) Mention what his daughter is going through

4) Dismiss any complaints because his e-Bay store has a 99.7% good feedback or blame the complainers as “haters” or “competitors”

5) Solicit readers to buy something from his store. (Someone wrote him once and called this “Beerbohm Fatigue”)

There are dozens of other issues, all of which if true, paint a very sad picture. However as I stated, I am leaving those out because I only want to focus on the most egregious actions as well as actions that are not at issue.

Given that it is the holidays and many people are with their families I am going to let the poll run for 3 weeks instead of the normal 2 to allow everyone to get their vote in. This is a blind poll and I ask that everyone look into the issue themselves and vote with their head and not their heart.

On that note:

The boards have a President?! :o

I would like to vote for everyone to take a break from all this for a sec and go check out Katee's new calendar and video photo shoot with Number Six.

It will make all of you feel a lot better ;):luhv:

http://kateesackhoff.com/

Whatever marketing guy came up with the idea for that calendar (and to film its making) gets my vote for greatest guy for all time and space.

The boards have a President?! :o

:roflmao:

I don't think the people suggesting that Menace be removed from the HoS are necessarily supporting him as opposed to the intent of the HoS.

Exactly. I think he is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. But he doesn't belong on that list