Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#7274679 - 12/19/13 11:06 PM The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault)
Fastballspecial Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

So the History Channel will be running a show on the escavation of Oak Island. The writer of the Vault from a few years ago based his comic off the story around Oak Island.

MYSTERY OF OAK ISLAND

Edited by Fastballspecial (12/19/13 11:06 PM)

#7274747 - 12/19/13 11:20 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Fastballspecial]
NinjaSealed Online   content
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Oak Island has fascinated me ever since I was a child. Probably my favorite treasure/treasure myth story around. At some point in my life I have read just about every book and article on the Island available.
#7274769 - 12/19/13 11:27 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: NinjaSealed]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd floor prefect's bathroom
Cool ..I have always thought it was a very interesting mystery..
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#7274784 - 12/19/13 11:32 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
Buzzetta Offline

Just when I thought I was going to go to bed...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York State of Mind
Interesting - just skimmed some stuff concerning this. Seems interesting and will check it out.

"My occupational hazard is my occupation's just not around." - Jimmy Buffett

Buzzetta's CAF Gallery: A Little Bit of This… A Little Bit of That...

Spread Love it's the Brooklyn Way.

#7274806 - 12/19/13 11:39 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Buzzetta]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

You had never heard of Oak Island? It was discovered 1795. Some weird stuff.
Theories range from pirates to aliens..

Could be ANYTHING!! lol
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#7274813 - 12/19/13 11:43 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

That article is unintentionally funny to me.

What I got out of it was "The legend says 7 will die before the incredible treasure is discovered. Six have already died COOL is one of these guys gonna die and THEN they find a treasure..

it's like "Tune in folks someone could DIE"

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#7274820 - 12/19/13 11:47 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Fastballspecial]
Catwomancomics Offline
Talkative?

\(thumbs u Sounds interesting. I will have to watch.
#7274827 - 12/19/13 11:50 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Catwomancomics]

There is an Ancient Aliens segment on Oak Island. They weren't saying it was aliens.......but \(shrug\) (It's aliens)
#7274845 - 12/19/13 11:59 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: NinjaSealed]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

yep

Attachments
143585.jpg
Description:

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#7274849 - 12/20/13 12:00 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I just love Giorgio Tsoukalo his hair is mesmerizing..

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#7274853 - 12/20/13 12:01 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Fastballspecial]
Heresy Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Dallas, TX
I had read/watched a lot about Oak Island and that is what got me to buy 'The Vault' and it ended up being a pretty good comic.
#7274897 - 12/20/13 12:13 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
Hado Offline

Banana Shrimp

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Not*Sure*
yep
lol

#7274905 - 12/20/13 12:17 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Hado]

The ancient aliens crew have one of the coolest jobs on the planet. I remember when half of them were just complete nut bags posting crazy videos on youtube and doing seminars with 3 people sitting in them. Now they are all pulling in 6 figures.
#7274948 - 12/20/13 12:33 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
BlowUpTheMoon Offline

Don't let these guys jerk you around. To change your custom title, go to My Stuff, then go to Preferences. You can change your custom title there.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Happy Birthday OakIsland!

#7275461 - 12/20/13 08:15 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: BlowUpTheMoon]
Jeffro™ Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: JefBro™
 Originally Posted By: BlowUpTheMoon

lol

The only thing that makes me sad about not seeing the future is that I will not be alive in the year 2112

"A closed mouth gathers no foot." - *spoon* Pontoon, 1/5/16

#7275539 - 12/20/13 08:59 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Not*Sure*]
dgarthwaite Offline

I don't believe there is a treasure there. I believe it is a mine for minerals used in making cement. At the time it was dug, that would've been a valuable and desirable commodity.

DG

#7275649 - 12/20/13 10:00 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: dgarthwaite]
Dr. Balls Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: UP THE IRONS!
They need Geraldo to narrate.

#7275665 - 12/20/13 10:08 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Dr. Balls]
Jeffro™ Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

The story of Oak Island has fascinated me since Nimoy took me "In Search Of" back in the 70s.

I have no idea if anything is down there but with modern technology, we should be able to find out right?

The only thing that makes me sad about not seeing the future is that I will not be alive in the year 2112

#7275737 - 12/20/13 10:42 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Jeffro™]
Hibou Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Upstate New York
 Originally Posted By: Jeffro
 Originally Posted By: BlowUpTheMoon

lol

lol lol

Seriously though, I too love the story of Oak Island and will certainly watch this!

#9144960 - 02/04/16 10:44 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Hibou]
frozentundraguy Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: 19th Hole
For a few weeks I have been wondering if there is any treasure to be found on Oak Island. What if the lights on the island, that were spotted by the youths back in 1795, meant that the treasure was being dug up instead of buried.

The latest episode has descendants of the McGinnis family (the 3 youths from 1795) show up for a visit. They mentioned that 3 boxes of treasure were found and split by the 3 youths back in 1795. They had an artifact to lend credence to their story. This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

If you can touch it but you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT.

If you can't touch it but you can see it, it's VIRTUAL.

If you can't touch it and you can't see it, it's GONE.

#9145052 - 02/04/16 11:42 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: frozentundraguy]
Jeffro™ Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: frozentundraguy
This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

Which would be particularly tragic given the lives lost over the years.

#9145070 - 02/04/16 11:50 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: frozentundraguy]
Fan Boy Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
For a few weeks I have been wondering if there is any treasure to be found on Oak Island. What if the lights on the island, that were spotted by the youths back in 1795, meant that the treasure was being dug up instead of buried.

The latest episode has descendants of the McGinnis family (the 3 youths from 1795) show up for a visit. They mentioned that 3 boxes of treasure were found and split by the 3 youths back in 1795. They had an artifact to lend credence to their story. This then raises the following conundrum. Is the latest effort a continuation of 220 years of searching for treasure in vain, since treasure was found but not reported. hm

If that is so, then it has to be the most crude joke on all generations of treasure hunters on Oak Island since 1795. The 3 youths kept silence, then their descendants did the same and ...laughed throughout the years at the hunters trying to dug up in vain! They got balls, I'll tell you.

But I think there is more than one treasure buried in the island. That legend had fantastied me for years since a kid.

Going to Comic Con and Shows in 2016:

Vancouver Comic Show - February 28th 2016!
Calgary Comic Expo -April 28th to May 1st READY To GO!
Vancouver Fan Expo - Sept 11-13th

#9145492 - 02/04/16 03:18 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Fan Boy]
Pro2Newb Online   content
Learning the Ropes

Loc: Houston, Texas
 Originally Posted By: Fan Boy

If that is so, then it has to be the most crude joke on all generations of treasure hunters on Oak Island since 1795. The 3 youths kept silence, then their descendants did the same and ...laughed throughout the years at the hunters trying to dug up in vain! They got balls, I'll tell you.

But I think there is more than one treasure buried in the island. That legend had fantastied me for years since a kid.

It would be a cruel joke in this day & age but think of the mindset from 1795. These kids & their families wouldn't dare tell of the treasure they found for fear that it would be taken from them, not to mention their lives would be taken in the process (the dead tell no tales). It was all about survival. The kids (& their families) had to muster up this tale in case the people whom buried/left the "treasure" were still around &/or someone saw the kids rummaging around on the island...They tell the story like- "welp, someone must have already gotten to it cause we found nothing; maybe it's still there and we just didn't look good enough?"... Also, the definition of treasure to them very well may carry no resemblance of what we today think of as treasure (their "treasure" could be a banana peel they use as toilet paper" as I'm sure the soft texture was a welcome luxury in comparison to the roughness of leaves &/or the indignity of their hands lol). \:\)

#9145564 - 02/04/16 04:11 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Pro2Newb]
tv horror Offline
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Maybe it was a blue flame the very same mentioned in the Dracula novel by Stoker, the only difference was Dracula marked it by a rock so that he could go back. Dracula was no dozer (unless it was daytime) even then. As for the show I gave up when they found a Roman sword? Then again John Wayne could have brought it from the set of The Greatest story ever told, yes he was an investor too.
#9146298 - 02/04/16 10:10 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: tv horror]
Brock Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Usually in mid-flight...
I visited Oak Island last year, and got to meet a few of the guys from the show - Charles Barkhouse, Jack Begley, Dan Blankenship.

The show can be a bit much at times, but isn't that the nature of reality television?

As for the Roman sword, the show debunked it pretty quick as a Victorian replica.

Whether there's treasure or not, Oak Island is a genuine mystery. If it takes a cheesy tv show to help bankroll the project to solve it, I'm ok with that.

Edited by Brock (02/04/16 10:10 PM)

#9146359 - 02/04/16 10:46 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Brock]
catrick339 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: michigan
Been interested in the story since I first read about it as a youngster. I suspect that any treasure is long gone, but it certainly is a good tale about the treasure hunter mindset.

The current teevee show is ridiculously slow paced, they're trying to make a LOT of cabbage soup out of a single cabbage leaf every episode. It would be a lot more entertaining if they edited every hour long show to a half hour.

#9146402 - 02/04/16 11:18 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: catrick339]
kav Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: In Library w/Colonial Custard
Only Oakman knows what's buried on Oak Island.

#9146476 - 02/05/16 12:22 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: catrick339]
frozentundraguy Offline

Originally Posted By: catrick339
Been interested in the story since I first read about it as a youngster. I suspect that any treasure is long gone, but it certainly is a good tale about the treasure hunter mindset.

The current teevee show is ridiculously slow paced, they're trying to make a LOT of cabbage soup out of a single cabbage leaf every episode. It would be a lot more entertaining if they edited every hour long show to a half hour.

Treasure is probably long gone but they have had a slew of experts airing their favorite theory of who else might have buried treasure on the island. The possibilities for treasure include the Knights Templar, Vikings, Pirates, Columbus, and the Aztecs. Given the tunnels dug from the oceans edge to points underground, that were used to flood the holes dug by treasure seekers, I find it hard to imagine that pirates had that kind of expertise and time to spend booby-trapping the treasure. I thought it was at least more likely that the Aztecs could have dug these tunnels, and had the expertise to do so. On a related note the Aztec treasure of Montezuma,dating from 1520 has never been found, so there is at least a possibility of that treasure being hidden some where.

Montezuma's missing treasure

From the above link

The only thing that is certain about Montezuma’s treasure is that it has not been found till today. Numerous theories have been put forward to suggest the location of its final resting place. For instance, the most popular theory is that the precious objects remain where they were dropped, i.e. at the bottom of Lake Texcoco. Numerous treasure hunters have searched the lake, however, but to no avail. It seems that one former president of Mexico even had the lake dredged, but as one may guess, nothing was found. Another theory claims that the treasure was retrieved by the Spaniards when they returned to Tenochtitlan, but the ship that was carrying the treasure back to Spain was sunk in a storm. Perhaps one of the most intriguing theories is that the treasure travelled north, and eventually ended up in Utah. Perhaps Montezuma’s Treasure will remain lost for many more years to come, safely hidden away from the greed of mankind.

#9146478 - 02/05/16 12:25 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: frozentundraguy]
kav Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: In Library w/Colonial Custard
There is no way the treasure is gone. No one has ever reached the bottom of the Oak Island pit. Not even close.

#9147186 - 02/05/16 01:23 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: kav]
ecgt Offline
Collector

Loc: Halifax, NS
I live about an hour away from Oak Island and know some people who have worked on the show. I suspect that the only thing buried there is missing film production equipment.
#9147481 - 02/05/16 03:59 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Fastballspecial]
jimbo_707 Offline
Chatzilla

I learned about Oak Island as a child was interested enough to read one book about it as an adult, but now I'm skeptical.

There's some interesting information in this podcast/transcript:
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4129

#9147866 - 02/05/16 08:16 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: jimbo_707]
tv horror Offline

The treasure is John Carradine waiting to say BOO! Just like he did in the Night gallery episode "Big surprise".
#9148356 - Yesterday at 07:31 AM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: tv horror]
phantalien Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

I never heard of this and honestly thought you guys were talking about Pokemon. I for some reason remember an Oak Island from the TV show or video game
#9149538 - Yesterday at 08:29 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: kav]
frozentundraguy Offline

Originally Posted By: kav
There is no way the treasure is gone. No one has ever reached the bottom of the Oak Island pit. Not even close.

Did you watch this season's last episode? Rick and Marty had one of the worlds foremost scuba divers go down and investigate the "Money Pit". After a few tense moments as his air line became stuck on the pipe lodged near the bottom, the diver was able to reach the bottom. He then felt his way around the circumference of the bottom of the pit searching for a chest and the two pillars reported to be stuck on the bottom. He reported that the bottom all felt natural, but there was water movement, suggesting that one of the tunnels to the sea was connected to the bottom of the "Money Pit".

Of course this is still not conclusive proof due to poor visibility. Rick mentioned he would still like to drain all of the water out of "Money Pit", and find out once and for all what if anything is down there.

#9149603 - Yesterday at 09:06 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: frozentundraguy]
Dark Prime 0 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: PA

Did you watch this season's last episode? Rick and Marty had one of the worlds foremost scuba divers go down and investigate the "Money Pit". After a few tense moments as his air line became stuck on the pipe lodged near the bottom, the diver was able to reach the bottom. He then felt his way around the circumference of the bottom of the pit searching for a chest and the two pillars reported to be stuck on the bottom. He reported that the bottom all felt natural, but there was water movement, suggesting that one of the tunnels to the sea was connected to the bottom of the "Money Pit".

Of course this is still not conclusive proof due to poor visibility. Rick mentioned he would still like to drain all of the water out of "Money Pit", and find out once and for all what if anything is down there.

think you need to rewatch, that was 10x they went to the bottom of, they're not quite sure where the money pit is. they think they have a really good idea where it is though. iirc they never said one of the tunnels from 10x leads to the money pit, just that is the overall thought process when they were digging 10x but are unsure if that's true

WTB Raw SiP books NM/M or 9.8 reasonably priced
all my cgc.... http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/DarkPrime0/CGC/
my CAF http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=99388

#9149945 - Yesterday at 11:24 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: Dark Prime 0]
frozentundraguy Offline

Originally Posted By: Dark Prime 0

think you need to rewatch, that was 10x they went to the bottom of, they're not quite sure where the money pit is. they think they have a really good idea where it is though. iirc they never said one of the tunnels from 10x leads to the money pit, just that is the overall thought process when they were digging 10x but are unsure if that's true

my bad.

#9149962 - Yesterday at 11:32 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: frozentundraguy]
tv horror Offline

Why don't they just send a robot drone down with claws and a camera, then again the show would end and the sales revenue would dry up as easily as their well.
#9150931 - Today at 03:26 PM Re: The Mystery of Oak Island Jan5th History Channel (Premise for the Vault) [Re: tv horror]
Fastballspecial Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I think by now if there was something there it would have been found.

Think about some guys what 200 years ago were able to bury a chest that 200 years later they still cant get too?

I love the show, but they are wasting their money.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Bree, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Today at GreatCollections - 1889-CC $1 NGC MS-61, 1909-S VDB 1c PCGS MS-66+ RD
by ianrussell
Today at 11:40 AM
Sh’ma Coin
by gabeperez2112
02/05/16 04:50 PM
eBay: 1-Cent NR, Classic US Type coins Gold, NGC PCGS & CAC Items
by Ryan S.
02/03/16 07:43 PM
Ancient Jewish Coins
by gabeperez2112
02/03/16 08:59 AM
Comics Marketplace
Awful pics and worse scans but the books are awesome
by Diamonddave
41 minutes 53 seconds ago
DC Horror Thread and Others! Priced to move
by jhutton2
Today at 05:48 PM
Having some fun for the Super Bowl
by pickycollector
Today at 05:32 PM
Long Box Sale
by ft88
Today at 05:13 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles