• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Comix vs. Greg Jortner - Important Information For The Community

324 posts in this topic

Since I am the one who created this thread, let me weigh in with my thoughts.

First, I certainly stand by the accuracy of the posts I made previously concerning the problems surrounding Greg's activities that are detailed above. I have continued to stay abreast of Greg's involvement in the hobby since that time.

Second, at that time the initial dispute between Greg and QualityComix was ongoing I actually met with Greg at the NY Con and I had a heart-to-heart with him concerning his future. He is very personable, but not in a con-man way. It was genuine. I came away from that meeting thinking what a waste but such potential. Greg knows his comics but he clearly mishandled a lot of different endeavors. I won't go into the details but he probably should not be operating a business on his own. That is what, among other things, got him into so much trouble. I remember telling him if he could get on the straight and narrow I bet he would be very successful and an asset to the community.

Third, so far as I am aware, the legitimate debts he owed were fully repaid.

Fourth, it is true that some major dealers, including some prominent forumites, continued to do business with Greg notwithstanding the concerns I raised. I shall not identify them but they can weigh in themselves if they wish.

Fifth, the best thing that likely ever happened to Greg is Brian and Sparkle City. I think Brian took a bold and brave leap in hiring Greg when he did, especially given he was aware of his background but I suspect he saw the same potential in him that I did. This is the break that Greg needed to go down the right path, and I have absolutely no information nor reason to believe that he has not been anything other than a productive participant in our community since coming under the wing of Sparkle City.

Finally, I have known Brian for a number of years. I have no hesitation in dealing with Brian or his company. Nor do I have an issue in dealing with Greg. That is not to say I fully trust him yet but the work he does for Brian does not require the same level of trust and comfort it would were Greg working for himself.

Everyone deserves a second chance and an opportunity to redeem themselves and earn back the trust that they lost. That is the work I do every day as a lawyer defending those who have lost or face the loss of their security clearance. I see no reason why the same premise should not be applied to buying/selling comic books. Of course, we all make our judgments concerning certain individuals and there are some who I would never do business with as a matter of principle, but Greg is not one of them. I am willing to give him a chance and so far he has demonstrated that was the correct decision. I really hope he continues down that path.

I will, of course, caveat this post by saying I only know what I know. I do not keep constant track of everything or everyone so others may hold different opinions or perceptions based on their own information. My view can always change based on the evidence that I am presented.

The bottom line: be vigilant and observant in who you deal with. Keep in mind someone's past and recognize those facts when deciding how best to interact with them. It might impact what you purchase or consign, or perhaps the manner in which you transfer funds, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself so that you ensure a safe transaction.

Does anyone know any Sparkle City consignors recruited by Jortner? I'd be more interested in hearing what they have to say - in particular, what was Jortner's sales pitch to get them to consign? Was he honest about everything? Did he deliver on his promises? Were they paid promptly? Did all books make it into SC auctions?

Those issues may not matter to some buyers - a slabbed book is a slabbed book - but I guess I'm idealistic enough to care whose pocket I'm putting money into.

I can appreciate Mark's wanting to give Jortner the benefit of the doubt, but with all due respect, Mark isn't really in a position to know whether Jortner has truly changed his behavior. If he has, great! Nothing would make me happier (other than, say, marrying Hayden Panettiere and getting a pedigree comic from her as a gift every day for the rest of my life...but I digress).

I tend to avoid people who've proven to be dishonest in the past. But, and it's a big but, in life there has to be an opportunity for people to redeem themselves and change. I'd hate to think that everyone who has committed dishonest acts is beyond redemption and a waste of skin.

Does anyone know any Sparkle City consignors recruited by Jortner? I'd be more interested in hearing what they have to say - in particular, what was Jortner's sales pitch to get them to consign? Was he honest about everything? Did he deliver on his promises? Were they paid promptly? Did all books make it into SC auctions?

Those issues may not matter to some buyers - a slabbed book is a slabbed book - but I guess I'm idealistic enough to care whose pocket I'm putting money into.

I can appreciate Mark's wanting to give Jortner the benefit of the doubt, but with all due respect, Mark isn't really in a position to know whether Jortner has truly changed his behavior. If he has, great! Nothing would make me happier (other than, say, marrying Hayden Panettiere and getting a pedigree comic from her as a gift every day for the rest of my life...but I digress).

No insult taken my friend. You are absolutely correct. It would be far more beneficial to hear from those who have dealt directly and often with Greg and Sparkle City than simply hearing my own personal broader view on the issue.

As I said, I only wish them both the best and hope all the information we would learn is favorable.

I also support the marrying Hayden Panettiere prospect, and I would even forgo the pedigree comic book.

I am more of a "no second chance" kind of guy. But it depends on if someone just made a mistake, or if they did the bad thing intentionally.

We all make mistakes. But a mistake and an intentionally bad deed are two different things.

What is that old saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

I am more of a "no second chance" kind of guy. But it depends on if someone just made a mistake, or if they did the bad thing intentionally.

We all make mistakes. But a mistake and an intentionally bad deed are two different things.

What is that old saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

The problem with that is can you hold the business entity accountable as a reflection of the person that they hire? I understand that there were issues involving money and transactions and that Greg is still involved with making transactions, although for another person's business. However, there are many companies out there that hire convicted criminals to fill their ranks in various departments. While I may not trust the individual, do I boycott the company?

Very interesting btw - comments are pretty good as well.

Companies that Hire Felons - Ranker

Uh...so who is the 'Eggbert' with 2 posts?
The second coming of Kav, who seems to have left the building.

I don't think Kav was bright enough to do that cut and paste job.

hm

lol Maybe it he was analyzing one of his own posts, he could rise to the occasion...

I don't do business with him.

I don't care who he works for

Bob pointed Greg out to me a couple of years ago when I was setting up at US shows and since then I've been fairly vocal about me not wanting to deal with Jortner either. He either heard about how I felt or just didn't show up at my booth but at that show I decided that I wouldn't do business with him.

I've spent a few years getting to know Gus / Silver Age Comics from NYC when I see him on the con circuit and while I can't say I know him totally well, Gus strikes me as one of those 'wear it all on your sleeve' type of people and the side of the story that I have heard from him after reading this thread rang more true to me.

The gist of from what I remember it is that he handed over much of the reigns to his eBay / online business to Jortner around the time of this thread based on the promise that Jortner would make lots of money (Gus swears to me he had no idea about Jortner's rep at the time) and Jortner, true to form built a pyramid scheme out of Gus' business, borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, etc...mostly, if not all unbeknownst to Gus until it was too late. That's apparently his MO from what I can gather.

I've done many deals with Gus since this thread and have never had a problem with Gus in all the years I've dealt with him. He seems to shoot straight, doesn't mind helping me out when I need something and always has something I want to buy. I've even played basketball and went to dinner with the guy. I just don't see him the way this thread portrayed him, even when reading it with an open mind. I'm not vouching that Gus is an angel and a saint. He's a regular Joe like most of us, and people can make their own decisions about him but what I hear about Jortner seems to be consistent and Gus' business suffered greatly (and unfairly in my opinion) because of it.

The last time i spoke to Gus, I mentioned I'd post something like this (he didn't ask me to) and I guess there is no better time than now.

I genuinely like the fact that SC has changed the face of eBay by bringing new collections to market regularly. I think Brian has a strong business sense (back cover the Price Guide - BRILLIANT IDEA!) and a strong business model and I've even filled a few 'impossible' holes my collection with their books before learning about Jortner but I don't believe Greg has changed his spots. At this point, I actually don't think he can based on what I have heard about him.

I've had dealings with Greg and Sparkle City for a little over a year. Over the last year I've sold over $180,000 in golden age books including my CGC 8.5 All Star #8 that went for $80,000. In that time I've only delt with Greg and everyting had gone better than I could have hoped. Greg always answered my questions, concerns and was willing to help out in any way possible. I can't address any issues with his past but from my experience he has been 100% professional and I have had no issues in dealing with him. I do believe that we all make mistakes and not every deal goes the way we hoped. With that being said I have no problem with Greg or Sparkle City and will continue to do business with them in the future. If anyone had any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by silvers

I can only give you my personal experience with Greg and Sparkle City over the last year. From my experience Greg has been nothing but professional and I have no issues. Unless I'm missing something Greg paid what he owed which is more than most people. Again I can only give you my experience which has been nothing but positive.

I can only give you my personal experience with Greg and Sparkle City over the last year. From my experience Greg has been nothing but professional and I have no issues. Unless I'm missing something Greg paid what he owed which is more than most people. Again I can only give you my experience which has been nothing but positive.

(thumbs u

I know many are more forgiving than I.

In my world. You rob a bank. Then you should not be hired to be a bank teller.

Just common sense. Or is that how you would run a bank?

Are you saying all those guys running our financial institutions in America have been squeaky clean all this time?

I know many are more forgiving than I.

In my world. You rob a bank. Then you should not be hired to be a bank teller.

Just common sense. Or is that how you would run a bank?

Are you saying all those guys running our financial institutions in America have been squeaky clean all this time?

He said they can't be a bank teller...nothing about CEO.

I've had dealings with Greg and Sparkle City for a little over a year. Over the last year I've sold over $180,000 in golden age books including my CGC 8.5 All Star #8 that went for $80,000. In that time I've only delt with Greg and everyting had gone better than I could have hoped. Greg always answered my questions, concerns and was willing to help out in any way possible. I can't address any issues with his past but from my experience he has been 100% professional and I have had no issues in dealing with him. I do believe that we all make mistakes and not every deal goes the way we hoped. With that being said I have no problem with Greg or Sparkle City and will continue to do business with them in the future. If anyone had any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

I have a follow-up question. For clarification, this is directed at Patrick (Silvers).

On August 5th I wired you a $12,500 deposit for a book which I have still yet to receive or even be allowed to see. Under our written agreement, we agreed that as soon as I paid the deposit, I would be allowed to inspect, finish paying for, and pick up the book. I immediately wired you this money in good faith, because you told me you needed it right away. You told me that you needed money to send to your wife so that she could close on a house in Thailand and get back home from there. After I paid you, you changed the terms of our deal and told me I could not inspect the book, but that the book was being sent into CGC instead. When that didn't happen either, you have spent the past 5 months telling me repeatedly that you couldn't pay me back because SparkleCity owed you a lot of money from books you consigned to them that you were never paid for. Now it is difficult for me to even get you to respond to phone calls or texts. Since it turns out what you told me is not true, and you have been paid by Sparkle City for all your consignments with no problems, and I have still not been made whole, I'm just wondering when I can expect you to resolve this matter.

Thanks

I have a follow-up question. For clarification, this is directed at Patrick (Silvers).

On August 5th I wired you a $12,500 deposit for a book which I have still yet to receive or even be allowed to see. Under our written agreement, we agreed that as soon as I paid the deposit, I would be allowed to inspect, finish paying for, and pick up the book. I immediately wired you this money in good faith, because you told me you needed it right away. You told me that you needed money to send to your wife so that she could close on a house in Thailand and get back home from there. After I paid you, you changed the terms of our deal and told me I could not inspect the book, but that the book was being sent into CGC instead. When that didn't happen either, you have spent the past 5 months telling me repeatedly that you couldn't pay me back because SparkleCity owed you a lot of money from books you consigned to them that you were never paid for. Now it is difficult for me to even get you to respond to phone calls or texts. Since it turns out what you told me is not true, and you have been paid by Sparkle City for all your consignments with no problems, and I have still not been made whole, I'm just wondering when I can expect you to resolve this matter.

Thanks

That's bad news Adam. When I first read "silvers" posts in this thread I had a thought it might Jortner himself. Apparently not, but seems to work with a similar modus operandi to Jortner.

If I recall, you had similar experiences with Jortner in the past?

Thanks

Oh boy!