• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clayton Crain commissions
4 4

341 posts in this topic

Crain has done Boston a couple times I think. He keeps his web page up to date with his appearances.

Rose City was a great experience. I helped Crain out at his table a bit so I got watch him paint the Daredevil, the Hulk and Brentio's masterpiece.

He loves to talk with his fans and is a really nice guy in person. He said that he believes he is improving as a painter. His colors on some of these latest pieces really seem to blow up and he explained some of the techniques he used. It was all way over my head but I was struck by his genuine desire to improve and by his attention to minute details.

He talked about how he recently did some work with live models and that really inspired him.

He also said he frequently remembers pieces that he has done in the past and how he would improve on them if he was doing them today.

One of the things that struck me at Rose City seeing all 8 of these painted books laid out together at Jake's table was how everybody who saw them seemed to have a different favorite.

I saw Crain on Friday and got scans of some books he has recently finished.

JusticeLeague1sketchcovervariantCrainBatman_zps59f5cf51.jpg

The tip of the cigar and the Punisher logo on the shirt are done with glow-in-the-dark paint.

Punisher1sketchcovercariantCrain_zpsf68fef6a.jpg

This cover has glow-in-the-dark paint.

Shadowman1sketchcovervariantCrain_zpsdd7b27d8.jpg

I saw Crain on Friday. He said, "I want to show you something. I think it is the best thing I've ever painted." I said, "That's a pretty big claim coming from you."

Then he showed me this.

UltimateSpider-Man100HEROsketchvariantCrainSpideyampMJ_zps44db0cd1.jpg

:o is right. That's amazing...

Wow!!!

We were talking about his favorite covers several months ago and we both mentioned Sensational Spider-Man 32. I told him I would love a commission of that cover. He remembered and did it for my birthday. He wanted it to be special and he also remembered he had a leftover HERO blank from when he participated in that project so he dug it put and used it. I could not be happier.