Page 21 of 27 « First<1920212223>Last »
Topic Options
#3453843 - 09/15/09 01:23 AM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: sassemble]
Aces Offline

Seemed lonely sitting around with no custom title.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Phil's Parking Lot
 Originally Posted By: sassemble

I bought it at a show in 1990 in central New Jersey. I really don't remember who I bought it from. It really is a nice copy. I don't know what the grade is but I was hoping for at least a 6 and probably a 7. I'm not particularly adept at finding trimming. I probably opened the book up maybe two or three times since I bought it, so I don't know about the coloring.
It kind of puts a damper on it. However, I do have Avengers #3 and #6 in the order that comes from the same batch as my 9.4 #4, so it shouldn't be a total loss.
Thanks for your info.

\:o \(worship\)

My Auctions

Board Feedback

#3466344 - 09/21/09 01:18 AM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: Aces]
sassemble Offline
Chatzilla

Just checked on my order and my "restored" Avengers No. 1 graded at 5.0. A disappointment for sure. The better news is that my "unrestored" No. 3 graded at 9.0 and my No. 6 is 9.4!
Again, thanks for the info guys.

#3812377 - 02/23/10 12:55 AM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: sassemble]
Ze-man Moderator Offline

I offend someone, on some level, somewhere

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Zionsville
I was working on a book this week and thought it served as a good example of Amatuer resto, mainly glued shut tears and what to look for when buying a raw book. So before I worked on it I took some photos of the old work done.

Most of this may be obvious to many, but not so much to a others so take from it what you will.

First up shows a taped interior spine, if the tape visibly goes from front to back on the interior side, it means the cover was removed to do so. Hard to really tell in the photo, but the disclolored tape is somewhat visible.

The interior centerfold shows glued tears around the staples. The glue visibly darkened over time, and is rough to touch when you run a finger over the area.
The staples themselves also display the common torn paper from being removed, and not so flat look and scratch marks of re inserted staples.

Multiple outeredge interior cover tears sealed by glue.

You can see the excess glue if you hold the book at an angle, and also if you run a finger over the area as is it crunchy and rough from dry, brittle glue. When viewed in typical light this is not readily apparent. The main, obvious giveaway is that a large tear is not still loose.

And an exterior staple shot that had tears sealed with glue, which became rough over time. If you ran your finger over this it would catch on the sealed tears, brittle and edgy. Not typical in a worn, torn spine.

So if you see tears that are not loose , then look and feel for dried glue or you will end up with a PLOD.

#3822173 - 02/26/10 09:59 AM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: Ze-man]
CheezyWhiz Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: New York City
Thanks for the new post, Kenny.

#4014822 - 05/16/10 03:04 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: CheezyWhiz]
Ze-man Moderator Offline

I offend someone, on some level, somewhere

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Zionsville
Just another example of Amateur CT for the files, unfortunately this was a book a friend was hoping to buy.

As you can see there are basically 3 spots where CT was applied(marker) Hard to see the vertical spot alone the spine, but its there.

And the interior cover bleed through. Typical of marker applied CT applied because the cover is thinner where the original cover ink is missing, and the marker is wet enough to actually soak through.

And a shot of the book in normal viewing light.

So, when looking to buy a comic always hold it at an off angle under a light and look for areas that have a rough texture...yet still show color. This is almost always done on black areas because it is all too easy for someone to pick up a marker and try and make color breaking creases stand out less.

#4015367 - 05/16/10 08:58 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? [Re: Ze-man]
buttock Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: gettin jiggly wit it
Very subtle. Looks like they may have even picked some off in one spot.

#4275866 - 09/21/10 05:53 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? - dry cleaning [Re: OldGuy]
TC33 Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: UTAH
I found a black light on ebay a while back for like $15 or $20 (they had a ton) and even the best invisible color touch restoration jumps right out in the black light of a dark room. Also works for some glue restoration detection. Without this, I have seen some excellent CT that was near impossible to spot to the naked eye. A very worthwhile purchase without breaking the bank. Still wish I could get some hands on training at spotting trimming though. I see some in CGC slabs with that and I keep scratching my head how they can tell when it is done with skill (not a hack job). Sorry, the step by step look for straightness and triangle *spoon* does not work for me unless someone shows me in pictures what the heck I am looking at. I am a visual person. \:\)

#4364385 - 11/03/10 01:45 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? - dry cleaning [Re: TC33]
phicks Offline
The Collectinator

Q: If someone uses a soft eraser to remove soiling from white areas on the front or back cover, does that create any traces that can be seen? eg., under UV light?

#4519613 - 01/09/11 06:50 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? - dry cleaning [Re: phicks]
passion4comics Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

This was an ASM 35 VF/NM until I opened it. Someone used color matched markers/pens to touch up the spine. What did strike me odd was that the black lights didn't show anything from the front. It may have been a very minor touch on the front, but bled heavy through the cover.

#4520121 - 01/09/11 10:18 PM Re: How to spot restoration....? - dry cleaning [Re: passion4comics]
bomber-bob Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Western Suburbs of Chicago
 Originally Posted By: passion4comics
This was an ASM 35 VF/NM until I opened it. Someone used color matched markers/pens to touch up the spine. What did strike me odd was that the black lights didn't show anything from the front. It may have been a very minor touch on the front, but bled heavy through the cover.

I seriously think I owned this very copy of ASM 35 as of a few years ago. It was in my collection for years and upon looking at it for possible CGC submission I saw the bleed. I also remember you could not see the CT from the Front Cover, at least I couldn't see it. I sold it (practically gave it away) with disclosure to a dealer.

Page 21 of 27 « First<1920212223>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, plitch, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod9, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, Ze-man, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FS: Several Morgans and 1835 Half Dime - Free Shipping
by A.Phillips
06:51 PM
FS: Canada 1936 $ NGC MS64 @ Christmas Gift price. SOLD
by agentjim007
05:39 PM
Any Macau / Japan paper money for sale?
by Beebeepan
03:27 AM
Looking to buy and sell confederate notes
by aps
12/17/14 10:12 PM
Comics Marketplace
Savage Sword of Conan splash from Beyond the Black River FS
by DR Orpheus
09:04 AM
WTB Fear Agent Original Art!
by ParamagicFF
07:57 AM
How to get ahead at X-Mas! CSS #22
by agro23
01:36 AM
1964 Time Capsule JLA #21 & #22 and Hawkman #1
by gdfisher
12:27 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum