• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone out there collects Classic Illustrated from the '40s
1 1

174 posts in this topic

A friend of mine picked up a few "I'm not sure how many" of 1940's classic Illustrated. its slightly out of my collecting area" , so I told her I would pass the info along here. I asked her to take a couple pics for reference. I don't know if the others are in better or worse shape but figured hey maybe someone wants um :)

You can Contact her at

Nancy Wilhelmi

Antique Link & Collectibles

PO Box 1344

1060 S Hwy 95A

Silver Springs, NV 89429

775-577-9106

Hiawathacover.jpg

Hiawathainsidecover.jpg

Mohicanscenter.jpg

Edited by Griff

Just for your and Mrs. Wilhelmi's information, that is not a 1940's issue. It is more likely a mid-1960's edition. Classics always kept most of their comics in print with multiple printings, all of which carried the original copyright date. For instance the 57 which you posted had an original printing in 1949. But the original had a different line drawn cover. The painted cover which you post was first published in the late '50s. If you check the reorder list on the back cover you can get a better idea about the actual publication dates.

Just for your and Mrs. Wilhelmi's information, that is not a 1940's issue. It is more likely a mid-1960's edition. Classics always kept most of their comics in print with multiple printings, all of which carried the original copyright date. For instance the 57 which you posted had an original printing in 1949. But the original had a different line drawn cover. The painted cover which you post was first published in the late '50s. If you check the reorder list on the back cover you can get a better idea about the actual publication dates.

(thumbs u

Typically on the back cover will be a list (numerically) of issues. The HRN (highest reorder number) will detail year it was reprinted (you can reference ospg)

I sell them in Vf/nm for $2 each FYI.

Hi, unfortunately, most dealers and comic collectors don't care to understand the reprint system of Classics. The dates of almost all reprints still show the original issue date of the first run issues, early to late 40's. Simple way to tell what you have is look at the list of Classics that you can order direct from Gilberton. That is how we tell the reprint issue. If you can order up to #97, then obviously the issue you have is a reprint if it was any number below 96. Not that these are worthless, but they are not the original run that you see examples from the other collectors above. All original issues from 1-80, are 10 cents each. Another simple way to sort, sadly, you still have to look at the highest reorder number on the back. If you have issue 49, then you can't order issue 65, since it had not been published yet. Sorry, it gets more confusing as I read my own explanation. Also, most dealers do not buy Classics, condition is usually less than nice, more Classics were printed than any other comic from 1941 to the late 50's, and dealers who are in the business of selling, don't want to sit on inventory that might take years to move. I love them but it seems that I might be an endangered species. Good luck, Mike

2993639492_fd7b0deb88_o.jpg

I believe 169 was the final issue and it sold for 25 cents.

They continued in the UK and in Europe. Some of the UK editions have different covers. Lord Jim was never published in the UK. Some, like the Aeneid, and Doctor No, are true grails for Classics collectors. Many new editions were published in foreign languages, and are very rare.

Your #13 shown could be either a reprinted US version or the tougher Canadian version. Easy to figure out, check the front inside or back and see if it lists a Toronto address. It looks like my Canadian issue, if so, around $100 in gd/vg condition. If it's got US address on back, around $40 in this shape. Only #'s 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15 were Classic Comics in Canada, all the rest are Classics Illustrated. Hope this helps

Hi, unfortunately, most dealers and comic collectors don't care to understand the reprint system of Classics. The dates of almost all reprints still show the original issue date of the first run issues, early to late 40's. Simple way to tell what you have is look at the list of Classics that you can order direct from Gilberton. That is how we tell the reprint issue. If you can order up to #97, then obviously the issue you have is a reprint if it was any number below 96. Not that these are worthless, but they are not the original run that you see examples from the other collectors above. All original issues from 1-80, are 10 cents each. Another simple way to sort, sadly, you still have to look at the highest reorder number on the back. If you have issue 49, then you can't order issue 65, since it had not been published yet. Sorry, it gets more confusing as I read my own explanation. Also, most dealers do not buy Classics, condition is usually less than nice, more Classics were printed than any other comic from 1941 to the late 50's, and dealers who are in the business of selling, don't want to sit on inventory that might take years to move. I love them but it seems that I might be an endangered species. Good luck, Mike

I know I am fond of the early Classic Comics. Here is my #1

ClassicComics1_zps48939173.jpg

Super graded #1. I am struggling with the question of whether or not to grade? Most Classics collectors are old school and do not care to encapsulate. I have the set, the Canadian set, the French set, the UK set, the Australian set, and 5 diff Italians (very tough). Anyone care about the Canadians or foreign issues?

Super graded #1. I am struggling with the question of whether or not to grade? Most Classics collectors are old school and do not care to encapsulate. I have the set, the Canadian set, the French set, the UK set, the Australian set, and 5 diff Italians (very tough). Anyone care about the Canadians or foreign issues?

Completists only most likely. Dr. No might be an exception.

It would be nice to see you post yours here though. Do you have the hardcover UK anthologies?

Awesome accomplishment :applause: