• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

Since we've been talking about these things in a few threads over that last long while, I'll start the official thread. Notice the V****** stand for:

VARIANT! It seems to upset a number of boardies, so we'll say it here in private ;)

I'm Canadian, and had been buying comics off the news stand since 1980 or so, and while going through all my stuff I realized that I must have well over half (if not much more) of all the Marvel Canadian priced covers, and quite a few DCs. More .75 versions than the .95 ones though I have quite a few of those too. I also seem to have a lot of the weirdish ones as well. I'll start posting pics of the interesting ones once I get home (or if anyone has any requests, I'm happy to go through mine and post 'em).

Should be interesting!

Here are some I posted before plus a few new ones I snagged at a small local show a week ago. I have some Transformers and Joes kicking around someplace as well that I can post later.

th_AmazingSpider-Man252var_zps357caec8.jpg th_Batman357var_zps27c958dc.jpg th_Batman400var_zps79d86397.jpg th_BoosterGold1var_zpsf38ed5e6.jpg th_CrisisonInfiniteEarths7var_zps4d2fc6c7.jpg

th_SecretWars1var_zps712d133b.jpg th_SecretWars8Avar_zpsb4b5edbc.jpg th_StarWars100var_zps667d7345.jpg th_Thor337var_zpsf025ca65.jpg

th_Thor344var_zps6bed11aa.jpg th_Thundercats1var_zpsabff479b.jpg th_WebofSpider-Man1var_zps8803872d.jpg th_X-Factor6var_zps80d7fffc.jpg

Question:

Are Canadian editions/variants seen as more or less the same, value wise as the American price editions?

They are the exact same books and off the same first print run. Only a higher cover price is present on the cover being the only difference at all. They are simply US first print editions with Canadian cover prices sold in Canada. Due to the size of Canada versus the US the print runs were most likely about 10X smaller on the Canadian price variants sold in Canada thus they are scarcer.

I would imagine they should be worth more than the regular cover price editions based on supply and demand hm.

Question:

Are Canadian editions/variants seen as more or less the same, value wise as the American price editions?

The 2 factors are

1) Scarcity: Print runs of Canadian Price Variants were approximately 1/10th the print run of the U.S print run. (DC Canadians are even more scarce)

2) Condition: Due to Canadian Price Variants being sold at corner stores, department stores, grocery stores etc. they sustained abuse from non-collectors and avid readers. It is very difficult to find Canadian variants above Very Fine +

So the total number of high grade copies is very scarce and therefore should have a premium over guide or the regular print runs.

In high grade, premiums are consistently 25% over guide and can easily attain 100-200% over guide for keys such as Amazing Spider-Man #238 or #252

Here is an oldie but a goodie Canadian Price Variant that I have had for some time. It is the oldest price variant that I have in my collection. Can we see some more please?

WeS71Wk.jpg

My bad! This is not a price variant it is just a Canadian Edition. :o

Edited by timern

I did check my collection and I do have a fair number of actual Canadian Price variants that i would be happy to display if anyone is interested? :blush:

Post away! It's educational too. Many collectors didn't realize the difference for many years. There is a "following" for them.

DC Canadian Price Variants can get tricky. Some people mistake the DC 75 cent with UPC code as Canadian when it's actually the US newsstand version.

DC single price Canadian price variants are 95 cent.

I believe DC charged Canadians more then Marvel. When Marvel was 75 cent Canadian, DC was 95 cent Canadian. The dates blend but generally it started in

October or November 1982 and ran until 1989 or slightly later.

It gets very confusing with all the different publishers. ie. Marvel, DC, Archie Publications etc.

DC Canadian Price Variants can get tricky. Some people mistake the DC 75 cent with UPC code as Canadian when it's actually the US newsstand version.

DC single price Canadian price variants are 95 cent.

Actually, there were DC .60 US/.75 Can. editions, as evidenced by the .75 DC Comics Presents 53 in my pic (top right corner...that I bought off the stand myself):

66AC7893-669E-4E2E-B3AE-6B141FA72765-806-00000106D93046C1_zps03b1d92d.jpg

Question:

If they are anything like the silver age pence versions, it depends on grade. While there were less pence versions of Silver Age books, they usually sell for less.

The market has decided what it will pay for the Pence versions. I'm not sure how the market will handle the Canadian priced books.

Edited by awakeintheashes

As promised, here's a shot of maybe half or less of the Canadian priced books I have:

66AC7893-669E-4E2E-B3AE-6B141FA72765-806-00000106D93046C1_zps03b1d92d.jpg

There are a few odd ones I've made more visible...again, if you've any requests I'd be happy to search them and post pics!

I see your location says "Wanda's, Quebec" is that Wanda's in Montreal just off Crescent Street? ...I love that place....

My earliest issue of The Amazing Spider-Man 75 Cent Canadian Price Variant

ASM #235

zZHCvA0.jpg

Check out the number of CGC copies of The Amazing Spider-Man #252 graded currently on the CGC census versus the US edition Canadian price variants of A.S.M #252. One will be amazed in the huge difference in numbers.