• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

When people see the way a few of these jumped in sales over the past few weeks there will be a flood of them sent of grading. It happens all the time in comics and cards. Its only a matter of time, with so many of these available and it now being on the radar there will be a spike in listing as well as sent for grading. Sure they were selling for $300 but as more and more hit 9.8 they will level off and drop by simple supply and demand. If there are 100K + all the other newsstand and store ones its only a matter of time. Raws seem to be leveling off in the 100-125 range on ebay.

Can't the same be said for NM 98? It continues to rise. BA 12 was a kid book and junk for so long how many of the them survived to be high grade? Not saying this will get to Walking Dead prices but I think it will be a pretty nice pick up if you can buy a higher grade for $100. I've seen so many girls dressed as Harley lately!

Exactly. There are tons of NM #98s and ASM #300s out there, but they continue to creep up. I expect the same to continue with the bigger Copper keys, just like it has for the plentiful BA keys.

FWIW, the first collection I have picked up in the past 15+ years with a BA #12 was this summer. Granted, I primarily chase GA/SA/BA collections, but none of the collections with Copper books I have acquired over the years have had this book in it. There are plenty of NM #87s & 98s, and McSpideys (inclding 300) to go around, though.

Edited by kimik

It was more than 90-100K for BA #12. The Costcos around here had that particular brick pack by the pallet due to the Superman issues. Those packs were responsible for a large number of the reprints for Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and Knightfall. Every month they'd get 2 or 3 pallets of the newest DC packs because of the media attention those books had received.

Were they brand new releases or the copies of books returned by the stores/distributor and then dumped via Costco?

It was more than 90-100K for BA #12. The Costcos around here had that particular brick pack by the pallet due to the Superman issues. Those packs were responsible for a large number of the reprints for Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and Knightfall. Every month they'd get 2 or 3 pallets of the newest DC packs because of the media attention those books had received.

Were they brand new releases or the copies of books returned by the stores/distributor and then dumped via Costco?

They were brand new releases. :gossip:

In some months, they were at Costco 3-4 weeks after showing up in the direct market. The pack that had the second print of Superman #75 was at my closest Costco 2 weeks after #75 was released.

Most likely they were printed in addition to the books that went to the direct market stores. These bricks are also where the "DC Universe" UPC box direct copies came from. That's were I got mine from.

So X-Men #306 was selling 1.3 million books approx, to come up with the 225,000 mark?

Jim

hm

Good point!

I'm using the Valiant Reader as the comparison because it is beside BA #14 on the list, but it's possible that Valiant Reader was for sale for multiple months and the Sept. 1993 number might be only a portion of those 225K.

So, I'll use the other Valiant books (regular monthly) to estimate the value of the index in the Sept. 1993 list.

I get 5,250 copies per index point using the average of 10 regular monthly issues from the list.

That puts X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

Doing a similar calculation for Batman Adventures #15 and #16 results in:

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

:popcorn:

Here it is:

And yes I'm quoting myself from a few weeks back in this very thread...

According to comiccron, whose first entry is January 1995, Batman Adventures #30 sold 44,000 copies. 32k though Diamond and 12k through Capital City. So as an educated guess the direct print run for Batman Adventures is 50k...does that sound reasonable?

Jim

As I stated earlier, I think #12 would be [perhaps significantly] higher because....

1) Print runs in 1993 (#12) in general were a lot higher than in 1995 (#30) as the modern comic market started to plummet (So #28, and perhaps Annual 1, may indeed have those lower print figures)

2) The above number does not take into account newstand copies. This is the type of book (kid friendly, G rated) that would be more likely to be at newstands. In 1993 there were still plenty of newstand/candy shop/7-11 type venues to buy comics.

I see plenty of #7 - #13 (but not 12) in dollar boxes, that's all I'm saying. I get all excited when I see BAs...but then get let down...

^^

So X-Men #306 was selling 1.3 million books approx, to come up with the 225,000 mark?

Jim

hm

Good point!

I'm using the Valiant Reader as the comparison because it is beside BA #14 on the list, but it's possible that Valiant Reader was for sale for multiple months and the Sept. 1993 number might be only a portion of those 225K.

So, I'll use the other Valiant books (regular monthly) to estimate the value of the index in the Sept. 1993 list.

I get 5,250 copies per index point using the average of 10 regular monthly issues from the list.

That puts X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

Doing a similar calculation for Batman Adventures #15 and #16 results in:

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

Seems like a reasonable estimation of BA #12 being an 90K - 100K book. Nice work.

:facepalm:

:makepoint:

;)

they're puishing the limit to see where it will go...kind of like some people in the forum sales area here listing something for $75 that is selling regularly on ebay for $25, I suppose under the theory that representations as to 9.8potential ought to be taken more seriousl here than on ebay.

Speaking of Harley... :ohnoez:

Is this price not crazy for a 2nd print raw? Any reason 2nd or 3rd prints would be desirable on this ish in particular?

An impatient person who searched best match? That purchase makes no sense what so ever.

Although the big dealers on ebay do have loyal customers so it may have something to do with that. The big dealers usually see the best sale prices.

Is this price not crazy for a 2nd print raw? Any reason 2nd or 3rd prints would be desirable on this ish in particular?

I don't think I have ever seen a slab where it's noted on the label?

Jim

from the research I've done I don't think there is any difference from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd prints judging from the cover, only on the inside first page it will say either "2nd print" or "3rd print" the 1st print of course wouldn't say anything.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, which on these boards is never a problem. :tonofbricks:

Jim

from the research I've done I don't think there is any difference from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd prints judging from the cover, only on the inside first page it will say either "2nd print" or "3rd print" the 1st print of course wouldn't say anything.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, which on these boards is never a problem. :tonofbricks:

Exactly what I was suggesting...CGC doesn't even bother labelling them as such.

Jim

Jim

Exactly what I was suggesting...CGC doesn't even bother labelling them as such.

Jim

That is SO wrong - look at the census :screwy:

It's a very broad market for Harley, maybe as broad as we have ever seen. :cool:

What are the odds on this book being bought by a boardie since it is a later printing.......... lol