• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I posted earlier, but it may not have been clear. If this is something the community wants and everyone can agree on the format, I would just put together a web page where you could add a line, delete a line or edit a line from either list and click a button to generate the HTML that would be copied and pasted in the HOS/PL page. The code could auto stamp what was done at the top (who was added/changed etc.) so there wouldn't be a need to quote the prior list.

You would have to quote in HTML if you wanted to quote it, to get it to show correctly. You would lose the formatting of the UBB code.

Your guys call, I'll watch for what the group decides.

Having an interface to update the list sounds really good. I have a few questions:

1) You said you would put together a web page where the list edits are made that would auto-generate the HTML. Where is the web page going to be hosted? And how will it be accessed?

2) Would the list itself still be residing on the CGC Boards?

3) Will there still be historical copies? That is, a new PL list every time it is changed?

It would be extremely helpful if you could explain the actual topography/mechanics and step through the actual process of updating the PL and what happens after it is updated.

Thanks!

I would write the app page on one of my servers. I don't think any other changes about the list have been discussed, it would still reside in the thread where it always has....

I am still trying to understand the mechanics but it is still very vague.

How does it get from your the app on your web page to the CGC PL LIST Forum?

Do people actually go to your web page to access the editing aspects of the list?

Does it then generate a new HTML list the updater copy/pastes to the PL LIST forum on the boards?

Again, it would be extremely helpful if you could explain the actual topography/mechanics and step through the actual process of updating the PL and what happens after it is updated.

There are other possible issues with taking a piece of the PL List off the boards, such as security and longevity. But I cannot ask the questions without having a clear picture of the process.

Sorry partner, I've put about as much in this as I'm going to without an understanding of what the forum wants. I'm certainly not building a use case and a wire frame, which is what it looks like you're wanting, for a PL list on a message board. :sorry:

I posted earlier, but it may not have been clear. If this is something the community wants and everyone can agree on the format, I would just put together a web page where you could add a line, delete a line or edit a line from either list and click a button to generate the HTML that would be copied and pasted in the HOS/PL page. The code could auto stamp what was done at the top (who was added/changed etc.) so there wouldn't be a need to quote the prior list.

You would have to quote in HTML if you wanted to quote it, to get it to show correctly. You would lose the formatting of the UBB code.

Having an interface to update the list sounds really good. I have a few questions:

1) You said you would put together a web page where the list edits are made that would auto-generate the HTML. Where is the web page going to be hosted? And how will it be accessed?

3) Will there still be historical copies? That is, a new PL list every time it is changed?

It would be extremely helpful if you could explain the actual topography/mechanics and step through the actual process of updating the PL and what happens after it is updated.

Thanks!

I would write the app page on one of my servers. I don't think any other changes about the list have been discussed, it would still reside in the thread where it always has....

Do people actually go to your web page to access the editing aspects of the list?

Does it then generate a new HTML list the updater copy/pastes to the PL LIST forum on the boards?

Again, it would be extremely helpful if you could explain the actual topography/mechanics and step through the actual process of updating the PL and what happens after it is updated.

There are other possible issues with taking a piece of the PL List off the boards, such as security and longevity. But I cannot ask the questions without having a clear picture of the process.

Sorry partner, I've put about as much in this as I'm going to without an understanding of what the forum wants. I'm certainly not building a use case and a wire frame, which is what it looks like you're wanting, for a PL list on a message board. :sorry:

I am not seeking a use case and a wire frame. I am simply trying to understand what you are talking about. Arch may be interested in a use case and wire frame, especially if it is a process that is going to happen, at least in part, off-board.

You proposed this idea but seem to be reluctant to describe even the most basic "use case". And I mean BASIC. You have to have some idea in your head about what you were proposing and how people here were going to use it.

Forget about colors and formatting and tables and whether to include nominees and links to discussions etc. That is content and should not impact the basic concept.

Asteroid, you had an idea. It may be the best thing to happen to the PL. I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out in the most simple way how you envision it working. Again, the content is not the issue. Having or not having various fields is not going to impact the process itself.

So in a simple way, so non-computer folks can understand it, what do you envision as the basic idea? It could be as simple as:

1) The app itself is located here (name the place - your server? The boards as an html doc?)

2) Someone runs the app and fills in whatever fields are decided on

3) HTML code is generated

4) What happens to the HTML code generated? Again, in the most basic way. You could just say the person copy/pastes the code into the PL List forum and changes the Markup to HTML or whatever.

But I really think that before content is decided on the basic process you envision should be understood. It was your idea after all.

Thanks!

I am not seeking a use case and a wire frame. I am simply trying to understand what you are talking about. Arch may be interested in a use case and wire frame, especially if it is a process that is going to happen, at least in part, off-board.

You proposed this idea but seem to be reluctant to describe even the most basic "use case". And I mean BASIC. You have to have some idea in your head about what you were proposing and how people here were going to use it.

Forget about colors and formatting and tables and whether to include nominees and links to discussions etc. That is content and should not impact the basic concept.

Asteroid, you had an idea. It may be the best thing to happen to the PL. I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out in the most simple way how you envision it working. Again, the content is not the issue. Having or not having various fields is not going to impact the process itself.

So in a simple way, so non-computer folks can understand it, what do you envision as the basic idea? It could be as simple as:

1) The app itself is located here (name the place - your server? The boards as an html doc?)

2) Someone runs the app and fills in whatever fields are decided on

3) HTML code is generated

4) What happens to the HTML code generated? Again, in the most basic way. You could just say the person copy/pastes the code into the PL List forum and changes the Markup to HTML or whatever.

But I really think that before content is decided on the basic process you envision should be understood. It was your idea after all.

I explained it in basic terms.

THE HALL OF SHAME

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the Marketplace Forum:

Board Name Added Alias Details
Herald2Galactus 3/28/07 None Link(#1)   Link(#2)
gilbertotorres 11/5/08 None Link(#1)
ComicSupply 10/28/08 None Link(#1)   Link(#2)   Link(#3)
CAP freak 5/21/09 None Link(#1)
AlleyBat 5/23/08 BucOne, WolfHulk, Roxx Gang, MarkWeb, lastyle7, comicwhiz7, royig, Punkkitty, bamaboy, Greenpep Link(#1)   Link(#2)   Link(#3)
TFL 6/2/09 None Link(#1)
Dr. Frankenstein 5/3/10 muscleshark, WALDO-JOHNSON Link(#1)   Link(#2)
TheDanimal 8/12/2010 None Link(#1)
MachineGunned 8/31/10 William Townsend, Chester Jordan Link(#1)   Link(#2)
Joker-Fish 11/3/10 None Link(#1)
Gecko157 7/12/12 lanternsector2814 (eBay) Link(#1)   Link(#2)
comicseekers 11/18/12 primeinvestibles, megacon Link(#1)   Link(#2)
smashdash 2/5/13 None Link(#1)
twen37 6/28/13 thocelizabeth, elizabeth7372013 (eBay), TheHouseofComics.com (not HouseofComics.com), Thomas Neely, Elizabeth Neely Link(#1)   Link(#2)
The Silver-Age 9/7/13 None Link(#1)   Link(#2)
OK, I didn't think about using HTML only. :)-slym
Because that then screws up the nested quoting (as you can see from this post).

question since I am still kind of new. I had someone claim 5 books via pm a week ago and I since them pp info for payment but had not heard back so I sent another two messages and nothing. What is the best practice on how long someone has to pay on the boards? I have had several successful sales already but this is the first hicup. It is a boardie with over 1500 posts so I did not suspect any issue.

Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, and I'd like to nominate for the Hall of Shame:

red rocks

Why? Read all about it here.

Royce, I understand what he did was pretty much a *fork* move, but he didn't renege on the deal did he? No. Did you get your money? Yes. Did he get the book? Yes. Did you give him a refund, even partial? No. Did he flip the book? Yes, it sucks he BS'd about the reason, but regardless if he said he was buying the book because he had a vision from God about it, the bottom line is you bought into it. I don't see a violation, other than that he sounds like a used extra heavy day tampon.

Just saying...

Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, and I'd like to nominate for the Hall of Shame:

red rocks

Royce, I understand what he did was pretty much a *fork* move, but he didn't renege on the deal did he? No. Did you get your money? Yes. Did he get the book? Yes. Did you give him a refund, even partial? No. Did he flip the book? Yes, it sucks he BS'd about the reason, but regardless if he said he was buying the book because he had a vision from God about it, the bottom line is you bought into it. I don't see a violation, other than that he sounds like a used extra heavy day tampon.

Just saying...

+1

It was a scumbag move, but not really applicable for the Hall of Shame the way the rules are laid out. Just getting the story out there will probably be enough to keep most people from ever wanting to deal with him.

red rocks

Just saying...

+1

It was a scumbag move, but not really applicable for the Hall of Shame the way the rules are laid out. Just getting the story out there will probably be enough to keep most people from ever wanting to deal with him.

DT I think just about everyone is on your side on this one, but as long as he paid you to the terms of the agreement (even if he came back and tried to ask for a partial refund) he's not HOS or even PL eligible.

I think everyone will be aware of his potential MO in the future...

Now if he doesn't hold up his end of the Beige deal, then Beige could nominate him, but here's hoping that all works out.

red rocks

Just saying...

+1

Thanks for the input. I'm more concerned that he lied throwing around the names of other boardies in an attempt to deceive me for a partial refund on the deal. I made the deal and that's that, but felt the deception warranted a discussion.

Thanks again.

red rocks

Just saying...

+1

Thanks for the input. I'm more concerned that he lied throwing around the names of other boardies in an attempt to deceive me for a partial refund on the deal. I made the deal and that's that, but felt the deception warranted a discussion.

Thanks again.

I will have to think this over but if I were representing you in a case over the money you lost selling to RR instead of your other buyers, and if your taking RR's offer over the other (higher) offers was induced through his deception regarding him keeping the book, grandkids, yada yada, I think the claim I would attempt to prove would fall somewhere in the area "theft by deception".

I do not want to dismiss what you are saying here at all, because what he did (in a legal setting) is rather serious. But for his claims and but for his inducement you would have sold to someone else for more money. His claims and his means of inducement seem to have been false based on your account of the story. That's pretty serious and not to be dismissed as a "bad deal" or "business as usual".

red rocks

Just saying...

+1

Thanks again.

I will have to think this over but if I were representing you in a case over the money you lost selling to RR instead of your other buyers, and if your taking RR's offer over the other (higher) offers was induced through his deception regarding him keeping the book, grandkids, yada yada, I think the claim I would attempt to prove would fall somewhere in the area "theft by deception".

I do not want to dismiss what you are saying here at all, because what he did (in a legal setting) is rather serious. But for his claims and but for his inducement you would have sold to someone else for more money. His claims and his means of inducement seem to have been false based on your account of the story. That's pretty serious and not to be dismissed as a "bad deal" or "business as usual".

Though it may not be per the "rules," I think this is a good exception.

I say put the guy on the list. He's a lying scumbag and I don't want to deal with him.

I'm glad Toast came out with the details and put him in the spotlight.

red rocks

Just saying...

+1

Thanks again.

Though it may not be per the "rules," I think this is a good exception.

I say put the guy on the list. He's a lying scumbag and I don't want to deal with him.

I'm glad Toast came out with the details and put him in the spotlight.

I would agree with this, but on the other hand I think there are a lot of members that will not deal with him in the future.

I'm on the fence on this one. RR has behaved very badly, but, so far as I know, past PL and HoS transgressions have been about people not delivering books, not paying, and so on. Bad as this was, it doesn't quite fit those transgressions.

I did read the whole thread -- down to the point it was locked -- but I missed (or didn't understand) one point: Did DT actually have another offer for more money at the time he sold to RR or is he saying that he believes that he would have received higher offers? (Reasonable assumption since we know that RR flipped the book for a $3K profit two weeks later but maybe less clear at the time.)

Not trying to split hairs here or excuse RR's behavior in any way, but it might help to expand on what the situation was at the time of the sale.