• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

The last time Adamstrange asked me to start up a thread, it produced some pretty good results. So in the hopes that lightning can strike twice, I invite everyone to post their favorite Duck covers (there've been a lot posted on these boards, but never all collected in one place, to my knowledge).

Although this thread is in the GA forum, please feel free to post your duck books from all eras.

As in the 10 cent thread, I'll get the ball rolling with a triumvirate of Uncle Scrooge firsts:

FC 178, the first appearance of the world's richest duck

743112-fc178.jpg

WDC&S 98, his first appearance in WDC&S

743120-WDC%26S98.jpg

and FC 386, the first issue in his own run

743122-FC386.jpg

Boy, I think I would be embarrassed to post any of my duck books after those three. That FC 178 is one of the most amazing GA books I've ever seen. hail.gif My copy is around a VG, and with the cheap paper cover that issue has...

Beautiful books 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just so that everyone doesn't get in"Tim"idated, I'll post a well loved comic that was purchase early on in my collecting career. And it's one of my favoritest Duck stories ever.

743258-FC223.jpg

743258-FC223.jpg.6d53544cf2bc86888139a8c381c00868.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Here's a modern classic:

us219.jpg

Classic. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I believe it was the story that the first Duck Tales cartoon was based on. I used to watch that in college (where's the sheepish graemlin).

I've always liked Uncle Scrooge, so I could seriously get into collecting Duck books (especially if I had some of his riches). thumbsup2.gif

Great books!!! I know very little about Ducks books, except that everytime I see one, I'm just blown away!!! Which books are considered "key" Duck books? Here is the only book I have, except some of the Gladstone issues. Again, don't know much about it, except it has a beautiful cover, and the story is terrific too!

744262-DDfc.jpg

744262-DDfc.jpg.d364285b4be6b9f51171a008fcb87c23.jpg

Great books!!! I know very little about Ducks books, except that everytime I see one, I'm just blown away!!! Which books are considered "key" Duck books? Here is the only book I have, except some of the Gladstone issues. Again, don't know much about it, except it has a beautiful cover, and the story is terrific too!

That's a beautiful copy of DD Beach Party. In terms of keys, you could say that almost every appearance in Four Color is a key Duck book, because they're all classic stories. But using the normal definition of key, my list off the top of my head would be:

FC 9 (the uber-key, the AF 15, Showcase 4 and Action 1 of duck-dom: the first Barks duck book)

FC 178 (first Uncle Scrooge)

FC 199 (classic cover)

FC 386 (considered to be first issue of Scrooge in own title)

US ? (first Magica deSpell)

US 64 (treasure of Marco Polo, banned by Disney from being reprinted for many years)

WDC&S 98 (first Uncle Scrooge appearance in WDC&S)

The first FC with a Scrooge cover, and the first Flintheart Goldglom appearance, would also be keys, but I'm spacing on which issues they were and I don't have a copy of the Guide at work with me. Arty and hkp are lightyears beyond me in terms of Duck expertise, so perhaps they could contribute to this list.

To keep this thread going, here's a minor key, WDC&S 140, first appearance of everyone's favorite egghead, Gyro Gearloose.

743141-WDC%26S140.jpg

In terms of keys, you could say that almost every appearance in Four Color is a key Duck book, because they're all classic stories. But using the normal definition of key, my list off the top of my head would be:

FC 9 (the uber-key, the AF 15, Showcase 4 and Action 1 of duck-dom: the first Barks duck book)

FC 178 (first Uncle Scrooge)

FC 199 (classic cover)

FC 386 (considered to be first issue of Scrooge in own title)

US ? (first Magica deSpell)

US 64 (treasure of Marco Polo, banned by Disney from being reprinted for many years)

WDC&S 98 (first Uncle Scrooge appearance in WDC&S)

Nice list of the key Duck issues. Without a doubt, I would also add WDCS #31 to this list since it is the beginning of Barks long run in WDCS.

Is this the Bark's story with the veiled critique of Vietnam? Do you know if has been reprinted at all? I would like to read it.

Is this the Bark's story with the veiled critique of Vietnam? Do you know if has been reprinted at all? I would like to read it.

That's correct. I know that Gladstone reprinted it in the late 1980s, but I don't know if it has been subsequently reprinted since then.

That's correct. I know that Gladstone reprinted it in the late 1980s, but I don't know if it has been subsequently reprinted since then.

I will track down a copy. It's also possible it was reprinted in The Carl Barks Library either in the Another Rainbow sets or in the Gladstone volumes. I wonder if there is a site that catalogs which stories were reprinted where.