• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvel Value Stamp club
4 4

246 posts in this topic

I spent years completing this collection. I didn't try that hard to be honest because the key piece was always elusive: The Marvel Value Stamp booklet itself. I have found them in the past, but those booklets were always filled or partially filled with stamps already.

I wanted an unfilled one.

Thanks to a recent acquisition off Heritage I obtained my booklet!

I attended the Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo this last weekend ( see here for the write up: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7054433#Post7054433 )

At the show I decided to see if I could complete my collection. I managed to find the final 31 books I needed so here it is, the completed Marvel value Stamp collection! :cloud9: My books are all complete and UNCUT, no value stamps shall be clipped and my booklet shall remain empty. It all fits nicely in a single short box. A great keepsake collectible!

MarvelValueStampcollection_zps190a221b.jpg

anyone else a member of this club?

Let's see 'em.

I know that I have all these issues......but I would like to check and see if I have all the stamps in them :tonofbricks:

Same for me.

It really does sadden me how many stamps were cut out. :(

Many of the books I found looking to complete my set were incomplete books.

I need to check my issues too.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties I would tick off which issues I had on the checklist towards the back of the comics. No concept then of keeping things minty fresh. :tonofbricks:

I know that I have all these issues......but I would like to check and see if I have all the stamps in them :tonofbricks:

Same for me.

It really does sadden me how many stamps were cut out. :(

Many of the books I found looking to complete my set were incomplete books.

Yeah - whichever genius at Marvel came up with that idea did us all a disservice.

Very cool. :applause:

There was someone in the Original Art section a few years back who had a Marvel Value Stamp project going as well. If memory serves, he had a sketch pad laid out exactly like the MVS booklet and was getting artists at conventions to recreate all the stamps. I wish I could find that thread, since I think he was nearly finished at the time...

Very cool. :applause:

There was someone in the Original Art section a few years back who had a Marvel Value Stamp project going as well. If memory serves, he had a sketch pad laid out exactly like the MVS booklet and was getting artists at conventions to recreate all the stamps. I wish I could find that thread, since I think he was nearly finished at the time...

Project: Marvel Value Stamp

Since MVS trivia was brought up, I thought I'd bump one of the best threads/projects I've ever seen on these boards. A most worthy read.

I realize the damage was done as soon as they were cut out of the book-- but if you have the exact stamp for the book, does that take any of the sting off of the damage?

I'm not referring to restoration or repair

I have decided to stop beating myself up for this behavior and thankfully I wasn't diligent on cleaving all the stamps out of my books (or coupons for stuff marvel sold)- and treat it more less as the cost of playing with my toys.

What is weird is that at the time I only considered the cover as being the important part of the book (I was 10-14 years old). I have also figured out the key issue that got me on the MVS harvesting kick--- Astonishing Tales #25-- my copy was cover-less (i.e. worthless), just for reading (found it at a garage sale probably). If you know the book-- the very last page had a Value Stamp on it screaming at you to clip it out. Hit and miss on the damage though-- I have AT23-27 and only two of the stamps were taken out. Somewhere in my boxes, I have the MVS, as if they were somehow something important to my younger self. I just feel bad that I ruined so many comic books (especially the Hulk 181-- which some adult collector basically stole from me later on). Maybe that was Marvel's plan all along.