• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,601 posts in this topic

Check out this groovy funny book... :cloud9:

sensation94.jpg

lol I really like this cover.

Wonder Woman is one of my favorite characters in comics and I have to admit that I can't support the way they disempowered her during this period of the late 40's/ mid 50's.

However, if they have to turn her girly then at least with a cool cover. The art is really nice, the ensemble fits beautifully and the colors pop.

Lot's to say about that book on the GCD, besides becoming bi-monthly they had this:

The focus of Sensation Comics changes with this issue, becoming more romance oriented.

and this: New logo starts this issue.

Wonder Woman costume change*. Now wears Sandals, which are colored yellow on the cover. :o

and Art credit previously given to Irwin Hasen.

This book also contains work by DC greats such as Robert Kanigher, Carmine Infantino, Frank Giacoia, Al Plastino, Joe Kubert and generous John Giunta who I understand helped Frank Frazetta to get work into funny books.

Considering all of the above, it's a pretty significant book.

Can you tell I'm bored at work today?

* corresponding costume change in Wonder Woman happened in issue #39 :gossip:

Indeed!

And historic as well. For anyone who saw that documentary on PBS that explained why comic heroines changed from strong self-sufficient women to more feminine, albeit somewhat more dependent women (like the one portrayed on this cover being carried over a brook by a baby-faced but strong Steve Trevor). Women were doing some of the jobs that men did when the war was on. After the war, the soldiers came home and so did the women. And so the comics followed suit and romance, marriage and starting a family became the theme . . . and so Wonder Woman was put into service getting this message out to young girls. It happened to Superman (with many Lois Lane romance covers) and Batman as well (he marries Batwoman on one cover). The documentary goes on to track the others changes the character underwent, losing her powers, winding up on the cover of the first Ms. Magazine (and becoming an icon of feminism at the same time) and the uproar that caused (Steinem lobbied DC to restore Wonder Woman's powers and independance) and a lot more. And what was with all those covers with WW crying. Superheroes don't cry?

But yes that is a VERY groovy covers in what is amazing shape considering how many of them probably were bought by little girls who read them to peices and threw them into their hope-chests. :blahblah:

Yep I saw that live with Trina Robbins last month. Wonder Women: The Story of The American Superheriones. She was my guest of honor and this was one book cover she did not like.

im late to the party and just spent HOURS! lol-pouring over all 169 pages of this thread :0

my eyes are tired but this was worth it-as a wonder woman collector myself I bow before all of you and thank you for sharing your amazing collections with me and all of us-id love to have the collections that you all have amassed

Here are my contributions to the thread! WW first two SA appearances! :cloud9:

Obtaining these babies took alot of patience and perseverance! :frustrated::headbang: Enjoy! (thumbs u

:applause: But then I'm sucker for black cover, especially when it involves a flaming meteor!

Here are my contributions to the thread! WW first two SA appearances! :cloud9:

Obtaining these babies took alot of patience and perseverance! :frustrated::headbang: Enjoy! (thumbs u

:applause: But then I'm sucker for black cover, especially when it involves a flaming meteor!

Thanks buddy! It is nice, especially with the addition of its historical significance. (thumbs u I'm proud to own it.

Wow! Why so much for the WW #7 besides it being a CGC 8.0?

I was gonna bid on the SC #1, but don't want it with cream pages! :cry: I would settle for a lesser grade with OW or White pages first! hm

Me and my standards! :screwy:

Edited by jaja-mon12

The #7 is scarce, has a very classic cover (early woman's rights) and is probably coveted by collectors who don't even collect WW..

. . . and I checked the census, it and another 8.0 are the 2nd highest grade, with 2 9.4's (if you can believe that!) sitting on top.

Edited by Bob-a-loo

Wow! Why so much for the WW #7 besides it being a CGC 8.0?

I was gonna bid on the SC #1, but don't want it with cream pages! :cry: I would settle for a lesser grade with OW or White pages first! hm

Me and my standards! :screwy:

Btw there's a 4.5 white page Sensation #1 on ebay by mycomicshop I believe.