• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farlaine the Goblin : Self Published Comic Book
2 2

168 posts in this topic

Print Run: 1,344

farlainethegoblin-issue1-cover-SMALL.jpg

Farlaine the Goblin, a shaman from the Forest of Fin-Din, has spent years wandering the very many Oddlsands of Wug in search of a forest to call his own. He only has 10 lands left.

Some Reviews:

http://comicbastards.com/review-farlaine-the-goblin-book-1-the-tinklands/

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/farlaine-the-goblin-1-review-an-anonymous-creation/60032

okay but there is an earlier printing that was given out to the comic stores ( 1 per store )

It looks a little different...

anyway that one numbers at 450 copies ( I guess not every store got one? )

Anyway definitely talented like James stokoe drawing for adventure time

okay but there is an earlier printing that was given out to the comic stores ( 1 per store )

I asked on their website and they claimed it was the same one that was earlier distributed.

They said that the orders was 1,344 to be exact but prior to the orders they gave copies to some stores and retailers that made it almost 2,000 copies of Farlaine

Amazing new series

Find reviews and articles about the series online

Some sellers are already asking up to $99.99 for #1 due to super small print run

Simply amazing when you can buy for $5 at their website? But then its not the casual reader who will bite with the hype.

Edited by THB

I asked on their website and they claimed it was the same one that was earlier distributed.

They said that the orders was 1,344 to be exact but prior to the orders they gave copies to some stores and retailers that made it almost 2,000 copies of Farlaine

Well I got it on good authority ( the horses mouth's sister's friend ) that they changed it a little from the initial 450 samples they gave out....coloring slightly different, the newer copies 'look better'...

hmmm, maybe i shouldn't have tossed the 450 copy edition of #1 back in the dollar box? given the amount of i buy "just in case" it turns out to be a winner that was a weird decision.

he had issue #3 in there too, which makes me think the series was a bust for him and he wasn't ordering more.

a small print-run only matters if people care about the book. in this case you probably need 3-5,000 people actually jumping on the bandwagon and becoming regular readers for a #1 with a print-run approaching 2,000 to appreciate much because many will be readers not interested in paying a premium for anything.

seriously, what is stuff of legends #1 (regular, not the more limited edition) doing nowadays? and that thing had a HUGE buzz and a pretty low print-run too and is ongoing.

there are tons of 25 cent box books with tiny print-runs. they are junk and nobody cares about them. not saying that's what we have here...I initially liked the cover but the insides didn't seem too interesting.

We can clarify this perfectly for anyone who wants to know.

There was an original print run of 1500 copies done last April.

Of those, 300 were sent to retailers as an advance review copies. 400 were sent to us to send off to family, friends, neighbors, and to be brought to shows. We brought and sold these copies at the Boston and Baltimore Conventions.

The remaining 800 copies were destroyed in late July due to a fire at the printer, the same week we got orders from Diamond of ~1350 issues.

Since we had no copies left in stock we had to do a reprint and we took the opportunity to fix a few things off with the first printing - namely the margins and the final page of the book, which now displays a B&W version of the cover. We also removed page numbers.

The "Fire Printing" was for ~1700-1800 copies. That fulfilled all of Diamond's orders and left us with copies to fulfill orders through the website and upcoming conventions.

The Second Issue was printed twice - 1000 copies each time - both with the identical files, so in theory there should be no difference. 400 copies were sent off to retailers for review copies but arrived after the order deadline.

Hopefully that adds some clarity:)

We can clarify this perfectly for anyone who wants to know.

There was an original print run of 1500 copies done last April.

Of those, 300 were sent to retailers as an advance review copies. 400 were sent to us to send off to family, friends, neighbors, and to be brought to shows. We brought and sold these copies at the Boston and Baltimore Conventions.

The remaining 800 copies were destroyed in late July due to a fire at the printer, the same week we got orders from Diamond of ~1350 issues.

Since we had no copies left in stock we had to do a reprint and we took the opportunity to fix a few things off with the first printing - namely the margins and the final page of the book, which now displays a B&W version of the cover. We also removed page numbers.

The "Fire Printing" was for ~1700-1800 copies. That fulfilled all of Diamond's orders and left us with copies to fulfill orders through the website and upcoming conventions.

The Second Issue was printed twice - 1000 copies each time - both with the identical files, so in theory there should be no difference. 400 copies were sent off to retailers for review copies but arrived after the order deadline.

Hopefully that adds some clarity:)

so is there any way to see which of the 2 printings of #2 we got?

I initially liked the cover but the insides didn't seem too interesting.

The first issue was inked with Micron pens and was a little rougher, agreed. The second issue was done with Microns and nibs and was cleaner. The third issue looks the best and is all nibs. After all 3 books were complete, the covers were drawn, hence why the covers look better.

so is there any way to see which of the 2 printings of #2 we got?

We have not seen the additional printing yet, so I'm not sure. As of today, the only copies of #2 out there are from the initial printing.

Edited by FarlaineTheGoblin

you are aware of course that this comic confounds the bags and boards I have....I mean I'm gonna have to custom make a bag and board and if I ever sell one...it's gonna be the wrong size for shipping...

I'm reminded of Wiebe telling me that he made them make all black covers cause everyone was whining about them, how sensitive the were....there is a certain antipathy between creators and collectors, nes pas

you are aware of course that this comic confounds the bags and boards I have....I mean I'm gonna have to custom make a bag and board and if I ever sell one...it's gonna be the wrong size for shipping...

I'm reminded of Wiebe telling me that he made them make all black covers cause everyone was whining about them, how sensitive the were....there is a certain antipathy between creators and collectors, nes pas

What size is it compared to a normal comic ?

We ran into this issue immediately - it fits nicely in magazine sized bags/boards, which in turn fit nicely in a 9x12 envelope. There is some dead space, but it still keeps it safe:)

Welcome Farlaine! Ordered the first issue as well with a doodle. :)

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it!

What size is it compared to a normal comic ?

The book is 7 1/8" tall and 11" wide.

magazine bag/board, like stuff of legends needed

one of the reasons i tossed the #1 back was that it is so long it was sticking out of the long box and was all bent up. probably would have given it a shot otherwise.

something to think about as a lot of collectors don't have magazine boxes (i happen to prefer them), so weird size stuff is a turn-off just for storage reasons....much like i stay away from magazine CGC slabs, they are very hard to store (unless you have 15 or 20 of them and i guess you can put them sideways in a magazine box)

good luck with the book. the competition for shelf space, particularly with small stores, is soooo hard. i remember my shop didn't put stuff of legends out on the stand after issue #1 because it was big...