• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hi, First time posting so I hope this works.

How rare or unique is this production flaw? I have personally read thousands of comics and only seen this once.

p><p> It

Oh, the joys of manufacturing. These books bring us so much joy, but back in the day, the guys working the presses probably weren't having much fun.

2 copies of the same book but one has "waves" in it. The book is a 100 page glued spine . Will sitting in a box press out the waves or does it need a proper press to look flat?

Would CGC grade the less waved book higher or overlook it as a 100 page production flaw. the book is somewhat scarce so i dont have the luxury of finding a better copy.

2013-09-03_18-16-40_243_zpsff39e04d.jpg

The highest grade you'll get on the book in the first few pictures is 9.6.

The white on the spine and on the right can still sneak into a 9.8 slab, but the curling on the spine, how the book doesn't lay flat, will not get a 9.8. It's called a stacking curl and is probably one of the most common flaws keeping a book from the 9.8 slab. Luckily, it's easily fixed with a press.

A bindery tear can still get a 9.8, but it hast to be tiny. Like hard to see tiny. If you have the tiny bindery tears on both top and bottom, chances are you're getting 9.6 at best.

The same goes with blunted corners. Even if there is no fraying, if the spine corners are dinged, you're looking at 9.6 at best in most cases.

A 9.8 can have a couple of flaws, but they have to be tiny. Production cuts such as the ones in your pictures are not going to stop it from getting 9.8.

The number of 9.8 books I have seen with spine ticks, and other blemishes I have no idea what qualifys a book to be a 9.8 to be honest.

2 copies of the same book but one has "waves" in it. The book is a 100 page glued spine . Will sitting in a box press out the waves or does it need a proper press to look flat?

Would CGC grade the less waved book higher or overlook it as a 100 page production flaw. the book is somewhat scarce so i dont have the luxury of finding a better copy.

This is a perfect example of why it is my opinion that production defects need to be considered when grading a book. In the example above, the book can be obtained without the waviness.

This is a perfect example of why it is my opinion that production defects need to be considered when grading a book. In the example above, the book can be obtained without the waviness.

both books were bagged and boarded, printed in 1993, from the same owner, same condition but one has nasty waves and the other lays pretty flat.

Will CGC grade them differently? its seems to be a production flaw on a 100 pager (shrug)

I would ask someone about the waviness and if it could be pressed out first. But that's just me.

-slym

Yeah. PM joeypost about this.

They can be pressed out.

awesome!!! thanks!

did this happen due to improper storing or Danish climate or its how it was printed in factory?

thanks so much. yes these books deserve to pressed :)

I've seen a few Hulk King Size Annual #5 issues with the first wraps missing the bottom staple like this:

INCHULKKING05_DETAIL02.JPG

Aside from the flaw, this copy is pretty much a VF/NM (9.0) I know it would result in a Qualified grade if submitted - but what does the production flaw do to the raw (non-CGC) grade? Does a VF/NM drop to a Fine?

Thanks for the help,

I've seen a few Hulk King Size Annual #5 issues with the first wraps missing the bottom staple like this:

INCHULKKING05_DETAIL02.JPG

Aside from the flaw, this copy is pretty much a VF/NM (9.0) I know it would result in a Qualified grade if submitted - but what does the production flaw do to the raw (non-CGC) grade? Does a VF/NM drop to a Fine?

Thanks for the help,

hm