• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

From my FEEDBACK thread:

Just bought a stack of SA Fantastic Four books from Scott. Accurate grading, great prices, and an insanely awesome packing job! Kudos (thumbs u

Also recently bought books from Scott. I have to +1,000 the packaging job. Not only was everything secure but I didn't have to wield a samurai word (or box knife, or scissors) to get it open. It was a pleasant surprise for sure. I've recommended he do a how to video or post on that particular packaging method. It was pretty damn bad !

Also the books came in exactly the shape I expected. Honest seller. Top of the mark!

At comicalgems' suggestion, I'm going to post the methods I use when I ship several high value or high grade books. I'll wrap the photo's in spoilers to save page space :foryou:

This is a LOT of work, and I wouldn't expect everyone to adopt a form of this method as their own, but if you buy books from me, know they'll be safe. For CGC submissions- I wouldn't do it any other way.

When I ship 1-3 books, I use priority envelopes, but the 2-3 sheets of cardboard I use is VERY sturdy. The following photo is of 1 sheet to show just how strong they are. The corrugated grain goes with the length of the sheet, not the width. Imagine your book(s) between 3!

Howtopack001_zps741d1d5f.jpg

Front view of 1 sheet that I use

Howtopack017_zpsb45fff89.jpg

I'm not going to illustrate how to tape a couple books to a sheet of cardboard. That's fairly easy to figure out. However, if you don't have access to strong cardboard and plan to use a weaker style (such as USPS cut up boxes) it's IMPORTANT that you use at least 4 sheets. You should also crisscross the corrugated grain for added strength. The cardboard should be sized so at least 4 sheets + the books will fit, and the books should be taped to one of the inner sheets so they don't shift in transit.

For shipments that require added strength and security, such as the following example of 8 books I'll be sending to joey/CGC soon (I hope), I'm using a Medium Flat Rate Box. I cut the same cardboard as above to fit the inner dimensions of the box.

Howtopack002_zps995d9a60.jpg

These 8 will be surrounded by an outer shell of 4 full sheets (2 on each side).

Howtopack007_zps37fd05ac.jpg

Howtopack003_zps8f08ef8b.jpg

For the inner sheets, I use enough so they're just a little thicker or taller than the books when stacked. I score the sheets to dimensions larger than the bagged/boarded comics, then "pop" out the centers. These centers are used for envelope shipments.

Howtopack004_zps46733805.jpg

Howtopack005_zps1f9eb70e.jpg

Using one of the hollowed sheets, I trace a pattern on one of the whole sheets. This will be a guide for when I tape the books to this sheet. The stack of hollowed out sheets should fit right over the books if placed correctly.

Howtopack006_zps3e82e4e3.jpg

Stacking the books in the usual manner of (in this case) 4 books facing inward to the other 4 books facing inward, I surround the 2 outer sides with 2 comic bags filled with several cheap backing boards.

I like to use 3M vinyl tape when making a brick. It has some stretch to it allowing for a more secure fit, being careful not to stretch it TOO tightly as this can damage the edges (even with the outer backing board support). I always make pull tabs at the ends of the tape because I know everyone hates picking at the tape in order to remove it (no more than me). And as comicalgems stated, this is WAY better than putting any cutting device near the books :eek:

Once the brick is made, I place it within the traced pattern.

Howtopack008_zpsd377cf24.jpg

And then of course I tape it to the 2 outer sheets.

Howtopack009_zps5cfbedc9.jpg

Once I'm satisfied that the brick is securely positioned and fastened to the sheets, I place the hollowed out sheets over the stack. Note that I "X" the pull tabs and number the ends. I place a message with the shipments instructing to pull tabs "1" and then Tabs "2".

Howtopack010_zps134ead7d.jpg

With one of the "popped" out centers I carefully yet firmly press down on the stack so I can tape the hollows to the whole sheets at the four corners.

Howtopack011_zps4884b8b5.jpg

Howtopack014_zpsb29ebcc7.jpg

Now I place that last 2 outer sheets on the open side and tape them to the whole stack. I sometimes place a little bubble wrap here if there is a slight gap between the hollow and the outer sheets.

Howtopack015_zpsc723f3ff.jpg

When finished, I have a solid USPS proof brick that can be used as a football and still arrive safely :sumo:

Howtopack016_zpsfa6e52dd.jpg

With a little more bubble wrap, this fits perfectly inside the MFR box. If the edges of the box are struck by a baseball bat, the brick edges will stop the impact from reaching the books.

Howtopack019_zps8cb00ff8.jpg

With a little more bubble wrap, this fits perfectly inside the MFR box. If the edges of the box are struck by a baseball bat, the brick edges will stop the impact from reaching the books.

I was disappointed not to see the baseball bat. Otherwise, a lot of work, but it certainly leaves a great feeling for the recipient to find the books well-protected without being impossible to extract.

mathIsHard_zps76e9f5ad.jpg

lol

So is my package. :banana:

I was disappointed not to see the baseball bat. Otherwise, a lot of work, but it certainly leaves a great feeling for the recipient to find the books well-protected without being impossible to extract.

It is an illness, but I do love a happy recipient :cloud9:

Thank God I don't make large shipments much. And this amount of effort is reserved for high grade and/or high $$$ only, though I do use this cardboard for all shipments.

A Flat-Rate envelope is on the "iffy" side. I put no more than 2 comics in one of those if a buyer doesn't mind, that way I can put larger pieces of double-layer cardboard in the envelope as well as bubblewrap. If a comic has more than $20 of value, I always use a box, the cardboard sandwich, and LOTS of bubblewrap, with any void left filled by peanuts.

One thing - always place comics, even if it is just one, into another bag and tape that down to one of the pieces of your cardboard sandwich first. In transit, the comics can shake their way out of the "sandwich" and possibly get damaged otherwise. Don't ask how I know for sure.

:(

-slym

Hi All,

As one who acquires 90% of his comics collection halfway across the globe, I thank all the sellers and boardies who actually take time to pack my purchases carefully and in detail with protection against any unforeseen damages. You know who you are. :):applause:

I really think this thread is awesome and if every seller packs their comics like Mr.Sig, there won't be war on Earth. :D (and our wives would be complaining our fingers are spending too much time on cardboards)

I actually read from the 1st to the last post and saw no one mentioned these, but if there have been and I double posted, I apologise.

I'd just like to share some pointers from some personal heartbreaking experiences:

For new sellers shipping out slabs

INSULATION

Be sure to insulate each slabs. The slightest damage (usually a 2-3cm crack at least) will occur when you think it is ok "as long as I tape the slabs tightly against one another".

But remember this, unless you pack it in such a way like what Mr.Sig does, when there is not single inch of space for the slabs to move about in the box during shipment, there will still be a chance for the slabs to move about and slap against one another to cause cracks.

2 simple ways to insulate the slabs without much cost:

with a thin cardboard

IMG_6037_zps8c46aef8.jpg

with bubble wraps (1 layer)

IMG_6038_zps8a55da27.jpg

The main objective here is to prevent the slabs from slapping onto one another during shipment.

COMPLACENCY

Put yourself in the shoe of the buyer. How would you like to receive your purchases?

Accident always happens when the least expected.

IMG_6039_zps2518b954.jpg

When you have wrapped a layer horizontally across the slab, and then another vertically across, placed it in a box sprinkled with foam pellets to absorb any impact there could be, and all will be ok. Look carefully again.....you missed the corners. And there is no guarantee that your parcel will not land on the corners during shipment, or a half tonne speaker to "kiss" on that particular corner during shipment. That corner will just be shattered. Trust me, it will.

THE LAW OF PHYSICS

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In another words, do not leave gaps between your books. Especially when you are shipping out a batch of mixed items, such as the following:

IMG_6040_zps76e8c63d.jpg

IMG_6041_zpse9ff4366.jpg

Possible damage: the slab will break into half with a perfect line parallel to the edge of the raw books. I believe that's how our ancestors break firewood before they built tools from stones and bones. lol lol

These are my 2cents worth and hope it helps the newer sellers in building up confidence in your buyers, and for buyers like myself to have lesser excuse to get naggy. :Plol lol

Does anybody know if there is a USPS priority box that fits inside the Medium Flat Rate box?

I currently use the 1092 into 1095 and follow a similar method for Regional Rate B, but I'd like to use Medium Flat Rate for shipping to the west coast to save a few bucks without compromising packaging.

Thanks in advance. (thumbs u

Edited by awakeintheashes

I charged $12.00 for shipping. It cost me $12.50 to ship the book. Add in bubble wrap, tape and driving to post office....I am not making anything here.

Alot of BS for a $50 book...

Just one of the many reasons why I need to avoid Ebay

The funny part is, you could have just added $13.00 to the cost of your book and offered free shipping, and he wouldn't have put 2 + 2 together... I don't understand people complaining about shipping, especially if you "Print Shipping Cost on Label" and they can see it's your actual cost and you aren't profiting from it....

I always take a piece of newspaper and use it to wrap the books up. like wrapping a present. then I use heavy duty 2" tape at a 45 degree angle on each corner to attach it to the cardboard. this way when they go to remove the tape it just pulls off the newspaper and does not pull on the bags or mylites at all. (thumbs u

I always take a piece of newspaper and use it to wrap the books up. like wrapping a present. then I use heavy duty 2" tape at a 45 degree angle on each corner to attach it to the cardboard. this way when they go to remove the tape it just pulls off the newspaper and does not pull on the bags or mylites at all. (thumbs u

this

but I use blue painter's tape to attach to cardboard

Were I concerned enough, I'd possibly make cardboard "corner protectors" and tape them over the corners. I have definitely done it before, but only for larger "bricks" of raw books. My slabs always sell singly ( :( ) so the 1092/1095 double box with bubble-wrap and peanuts has been enough so far.

-slym

I take some small pieces of bubble wrap, roll them up about four inches long and wrap the corners between the cardboard and tape it in. might be overkill but its just a habit.

I take some small pieces of bubble wrap, roll them up about four inches long and wrap the corners between the cardboard and tape it in. might be overkill but its just a habit.

You may be the only person I know who rivals me in packing boxes. hm

good to see so many sellers taking time and effort to ensure safe arrival of purchases, cos I know there are still sellers who don't give 2 hoots about our items.

As mainly a buyer on the board, I'd like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.

It's amazing how many times the issue of how to properly pack a comic book comes up on these boards, and how many times books arrive at my house packed like krap. (shrug)