• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I agree with Poverty_row (I can't keep up with your name changes :)) Trying to apply the PL list rules to PIF would be difficult. Having a "PIF/Freebe/Contents Problem List" would allow for the PIFers to come together and vote on and decide what is best for their community. It would allow them to decide how long individuals have to complete a transaction, whether miss grading/variations of value matter, and other important ideas. From there they would create their rules and procedures for getting on and off the list. For example, we recently had a boardie come off the PL after over a year because he provided the refund he needed to. Can a PIFer come off the PL after a year by offering a reader copy of X-Men #1 ('92)? Under the PL rules as they apply now, yes s/he could. Does that comply with the spirit of the PIF community? IDK I am not a member of it. But by creating their own section and rules the PIF community will answer these questions. This isn't necessarily an issue of separation, because that appears to be the issue Mr. Wiggles is taking with talking about Centralizing. There would be two lists, one right on top of the other. One size does not fit all. So having the two lists right next to one another would help facilitate having different rules and regulations.

I said I wanted centralization of the baddies in a uniform PL. You are still advocating against that.

Really? What part of this did you not understand?

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of including those PIF, CONTESTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS type infractions in a separate subset of the existing HOS/PL list.

I said I wanted centralization of the baddies in a uniform PL. You are still advocating against that.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of including those PIF, CONTESTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS type infractions in a separate subset of the existing HOS/PL list.

In other words, the list would be in the same post, below the PL.

My apologies. I misread over the "existing" in that sentence as the previous few replies (and paragraph) were not in the same vein.

This I can get behind :)

Edited by Mr Wiggles

Exactly on both counts. All a single list. I was initially not keen on it but the more I though about it the more sense it made.

Basically I would envision the HOS/PL list looking like this. Note the additional section at the bottom. The wording there is just a sample but it gets the point across I think?

:bump: date PROBATION LIST UPDATE :bump:

THE HALL OF SHAME

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the

Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1
    (Inaugural Member & 1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

• User 2
    (added 11/5/08 - 2nd "Hall of Shame" Member)

• etc etc
    (added 10/28/08 - 3rd "Hall of Shame" Member)

THE PROBATION LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to complete a Marketplace Forum transaction in good faith after one month's time. Those with an "Off-Board" notation indicate the failed transaction occurred outside of the CGC Message Boards.

•  
  • person 1 (added 05/24/12)

• person 2 (added 11/6/08)

• and so on (added 02/15/12)

THE PIF/CONTEST/CONTRIBUTIONS LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to comply with the established rules for Pay It Forward, Secret Santa and similar contribution type threads outside of Sales/Trades.

•  
  • human 1 (added 05/24/12)

• human 2 (added 11/6/08)

• ad infinitum (added 02/15/12)

I think that is perfect looking. Despite what some may believe, there would be very few people over time added to the new list and it would not be for petty stuff like slow shipping.

I think the initial mock-up works great. I also agree with CAHokie, the list will have very few people over time. The PIF thread has been operating over a year and this is the first individual that even crossed the line for nomination. The Secret Santa and Charity threads seem to have a similar history for baddies being a rarity.

Exactly on both counts. All a single list. I was initially not keen on it but the more I though about it the more sense it made.

Basically I would envision the HOS/PL list looking like this. Note the additional section at the bottom. The wording there is just a sample but it gets the point across I think?

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to complete a Marketplace Forum transaction in good faith after one month's time. Those with an "Off-Board" notation indicate the failed transaction occurred outside of the CGC Message Boards.

•  

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to comply with the established rules for Pay It Forward, Secret Santa and similar contribution type threads outside of Sales/Trades.

•  

(thumbs u

Charity threads involve payment, so they would go on the regular PL ?

I've never had someone not pay or send something...once and a while things are a little late, but they get there... so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Looks good (thumbs u

I think the initial mock-up works great. I also agree with CAHokie, the list will have very few people over time. The PIF thread has been operating over a year and this is the first individual that even crossed the line for nomination. The Secret Santa and Charity threads seem to have a similar history for baddies being a rarity.

I disagree, I'd say the guy who had three unshipped PIF's in early summer would have been as legit as manicnerd's nomination.

It all got worked out but if something similar to that happens (after we hash out this PIF/PL exercise), I'd expect a guy like that to be nominated to the PL.

I disagree, I'd say the guy who had three unshipped PIF's in early summer would have been as legit as manicnerd's nomination.

It all got worked out but if something similar to that happens (after we hash out this PIF/PL exercise), I'd expect a guy like that to be nominated to the PL.

There has been an issue with Secret Santa in the past and the raffle that goes with it. I'm sure there will again as there will also be issues with folks donating prizes for contests.

I think what POV did above looks good. It made me smile gently. :)

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

•  

•  

(thumbs u

I've never had someone not pay or send something...once and a while things are a little late, but they get there... so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Oo, can we add a section for SS Opps that go off the rails too? I hear that happens a lot.

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

•  

•  

:applause:

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

•  

•  

(thumbs u

Oo, can we add a section for SS Opps that go off the rails too? I hear that happens a lot.

No - scribbling on books is worse than being a junk donkey.

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

•  

•  

(thumbs u

Great, let's have a section for scribblers then.

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

xxNotationxx

• User 1

• User 2

• etc etc

THE PROBATION LIST

•  

•  

(thumbs u

Great, let's have a section for scribblers then.

Do they get a yellow label as well?

Does anyone have contact information for The Silver Age ?

He sold me a book with undisclosed restoration. Ironman #1, I had it slabbed and was shocked to find it was trimmed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=185361&Number=3835526#Post3835526

I have tried to PM him and also tried to contact him through ebay. He has not posted since November. I am thinking he may have been unaware of the trim. I would like to give him a chance to make things right. But he seems to have disappeared. Any help would be appreciated.

:bump:

This person has a track record it seems.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5888981&fpart=1

He recently sent me a PM stating

I just got this message. Sorry I haven't been on the boards here for several years now. Kinda lost interest in selling for awhile ya know? I am REALLY sorry about the book. I bought it from a VERY reliable and reputable well known seller to the community a year or so before I sold it. I was assured it was unrestored.

looks like the original sale was almost 3 1/2 years ago. I'm really really sorry about that. there is nothing worse than getting a re-stored book! I think we've all gone through it unfortunately.

I don't sell much anymore, at least not at the moment. not sure what I can do 3 yrs later, but I would like to make it up to you in some way. I assure you, my intentions are not to deceive or take advantage of anyone. I have an extensive collection that I do plan on selling eventually, and my reputation is everything to me.

I honestly don't know what to do to make this up to you. do you still own the book perhaps?

Trey

When I countered that I paid him $400. for the book and it sold at auction for $73, and I believed he should pay the difference, he replied

Wow Bill,

A bit hostile. I understand your frustration man, I really do. And I in no way shape or form was trying to deceive you. I didn't know the book was trimmed, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I came back on here to look for info on another seller and saw I had a message. When I read it, I felt really terrible. But your response is nothing but hostile threats and an attempt at blackmail for a transaction that took place 2 yrs before you finally contacted me.

Ask yourself Bill, if I was trying to avoid you or purposely deceive you, why would I respond to a message that's over a year and half old?

Your response is bad form. And my initial feeling of sorrow and responsibility has been edged out by surprise at your threatening response.

I am at a loss here. What is reasonable compensation for an undisclosed trimmed book? I want to add him to the probation list, but I want to have a reasonable way for him to get off, if he chooses to do the right thing.

My 2c Take the GPA of a trimmed Iron Man 1 in the condition you and he had it at (i'm guessing around a VF) in the year you bought it. Subtract that from the 400. That should be the difference.