Page 9 of 66 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#690834 - 03/11/05 02:01 PM Blondie Comics [Re: adamstrange]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Midwest
# 19
Blondie # 40 - Purchased at an antique mall (with a missing centerfold )

Content:

Never Say Dye by "Chic Young" 5 pgs
Pattern of Life by "Chic Young" 5 pgs
Lost and Found by "Chic Young" 4 pgs
Light Work by "Chic Young" 4 pgs

I think we are all well acquainted with this character and I don't need to present him (I'll have to do that more tomorrow with a character and an interesting twist). What has always amazed me in the world of strips is the consistency and longevity of the creative team. Take a look at Blondie: the strip started in 1930. Over the ensuing 75 years, the strip has been in the creative hands of two main people: Chic Young and his son Dean Young. The main artists and assistants list isn't much larger either: Chic Young, Dean Young, Jim Raymond, Stan Drake and Denis Lebrun. For this history, check the official strip site or the strip's summary at Toonopedia.

Here's a sample splash from the book:

In keeping with my interest in In-House ads, here's the advertised line-up for Harvey. Can you pick out the incongruous book in this line-up?

A little help: which book shows an attractive woman in bondage in the midst of wholesome characters? Yup, Black Cat Mystery!

More strip trivia: Jim Raymond was Alex's brother and Chic's younger brother Lyman Young created Tim Tyler's Luck.

Collection trivia: if I find one of the books I need at an antique mall, I will buy it no matter what the condition is (proof above) just to show that these books are still floating around.

P.S.: Nice hijack Adam. This is exactly what I was looking for Any opinion on the Bill Ward attribution of yesterday? Brush up on your George Evans for tomorrow because I will ask if it is him or not. Oh, and are you people reading my posts in between all this? I admit to have tracked the "daily hits" to the thread and my audience seems to be about 20. Thank you for keeping on coming back!

Attachments
748547-Blondie40InHouseAds.jpg (91 downloads)
Description:

#690835 - 03/11/05 05:34 PM Re: Blondie Comics [Re: Scrooge]
verygoodplus Offline
(S)uper Collector

Quote:

Oh, and are you people reading my posts in between all this? I admit to have tracked the "daily hits" to the thread and my audience seems to be about 20. Thank you for keeping on coming back!

I'm on board, Scrooge, so keep 'em coming! If I have any relevant bon mots, I'll try to chip in. I'm enjoying Adam's contributions, as well, and am basically content (and best qualified) just to spectate.

#690836 - 03/12/05 12:26 AM Re: Hi-jacking this Thread -- for a moment [Re: tth2]
adamstrange Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: usa
Quote:

Quote:

Tim: This took about 45 minutes to write-up and I'm sure it could be articulated more clearly. Was this at all interesting?

Nope.

Good analysis, and I'm sure others can jump in with their examples too. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the 1950s style of DC art, the fat Supermans and Batmans don't do a whole lot for me.

But you like Flash as a tub of lard?
WonderWoman's wide butt on JLA #7?

Seriously, is there any artist you would like to see comments on or to comment on yourself? SA?

I did get a couple other positive feedbacks so I'm considering starting a thread. Although I don't know how fast I would populate it. I would probably focus it on artists I think are particularly good as those are the ones I've worked hard to learn to identify. If I go too obscure, Dick Rockwell (who I did like seeing in this thread), then I don't think I'll maintain a level of interest. I also don't want to get into big-time artist ID as that's something the big-boy indexes over at GCD can do much better than me.

Edited by adamstrange (03/12/05 12:41 AM)

#690837 - 03/12/05 12:50 AM Bob Colt [Re: Scrooge]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

# 20

Bob Colt # 9 - Bought from Basement Comics

Content:

The Hidden Hacienda by ? 13 pgs
The Check Out by ? 4 pgs
The Search by ? 10 pgs

As mentioned yesterday, I probably need to bring everyone up to speed with our feature character for the day: Bob Colt. Isn't that a great sounding name? I know I personally prefer three-part names such as Johnny Mack Brown or Wild Bill Elliott but there is something nice about this Bob Colt with this crisp last name. How long was his career? Oh ... about 10 issues.

See, Bob is a fictitious western star made up of whole cloth by Fawcett for this title. You gotta think there were enough B western stars to go around to write titles about but ... apparently not. Fawcett production staff did go to some trouble to appear genuine. I mean, check out this neat back cover of Bob on Buckskin.

On top of that, it's not like Fawcett had a dearth of Western star in their line-up, here's the inside front cover with, yes again, an In-House ad and we see tons of well known Western stars here:

Bob was portrayed by Steve Holland and, for $250 , you could own this Original Art? Original Picture? What would you call this item?

The blurb used for the sale is:

"Wow! This is the photo setup layouts for the front cover of Bob Colt #4, from Fawcett Comics. This cover was published back in 1951, making this cover already 50 years old!
The cover features a photograph of male model Bob [sic] Holland, who was a popular magazine cover subject during the 1940's and 50's. James Bama used him as the model for Bama's Doc Savage painted covers!
The cover consists of a thick, stiff 10" x 15" illustration board."

Of course, this title is not in the GCD, no not just not indexed, there is not even a placeholder for it. However, I did find this interview with George Evans stating he did work on this title (Note the following excerpt "Everything that came along, they stuck me doing it and but, among other things there was Bob Colt, which was based, I think on a TV character, ... ". Apparently, even George was fooled). I did not have time to check other Evans work but I doubt this is his work in this issue. Could any one confirm this for me?

TV Trivia: Steve Holland played Flash Gordon in the 1954 TV series. Info thanks to Michelle Nolan (CBM 61), confirmed on IMDB.

Attachments
749291-BobColt9Story2s.jpg (101 downloads)
Description:

#690838 - 03/12/05 03:14 AM Re: Bob Colt [Re: Scrooge]
verygoodplus Offline
(S)uper Collector

Cool book!

I love the fact that "Bob Colt" was a totally fabricated B-Western-style hero. Great photos on the front and back covers.

The art is rather different from the EC-era Evans work that I'm primarily used to. However, I wouldn't say for certain that this wasn't Evans using a different, earlier style (I don't know his Fawcett work at all).

As a sidenote on Steve Holland: in addition to starring as Flash Gordon in the West German-produced 50's TV show, he was also the model for Doc Savage during James Bama's great run of Bantam paperback covers.

EDIT: Oops, I see that this fact was mentioned in the blurb for the cover layout, but it's worth repeating. Mr. Holland was in his fifties when posing for these covers(!):

Attachments
749347-docsavage01.jpg (101 downloads)
Description:

#690839 - 03/12/05 03:29 AM Re: Bob Colt [Re: verygoodplus]
verygoodplus Offline
(S)uper Collector

Attachments
749352-docsavage02.jpg (89 downloads)
Description:

#690840 - 03/12/05 09:46 AM Re: Bob Colt [Re: verygoodplus]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

Awesome VG+. See you had it in you to find cool repros to contribute. Thank you .

And yes I agree with you, it is a cool book + I failed to mention but notice how the stories are longer which makes them usually more enjoyable for books from that period. I hope that by the time I am done people have a better view / appreciation of those reviled genres that Western and Romance are in the hobby. Not all are great but neither were all books in other genres. I find the art in this issue attractive (even though I would enjoy it more if the artist drew "better" faces). So who is pencilling?

OT: I am partial to the Shadow myself and could never get into Doc S.

#690841 - 03/12/05 10:09 AM HEY Scrooge [Re: Scrooge]
ajaxfarrell Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: RENO
Scrooge, please continue with the write ups. THEY are great. I love learning about books that I would normally never see. This is why I love these boards. GREAT JOB...keep them up, I appreciate it as I'm sure others do....very interesting.

#690842 - 03/12/05 10:32 AM Re: Bob Colt [Re: Scrooge]
adamstrange Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome VG+. See you had it in you to find cool repros to contribute. Thank you .

And yes I agree with you, it is a cool book + I failed to mention but notice how the stories are longer which makes them usually more enjoyable for books from that period. I hope that by the time I am done people have a better view / appreciation of those reviled genres that Western and Romance are in the hobby. Not all are great but neither were all books in other genres. I find the art in this issue attractive (even though I would enjoy it more if the artist drew "better" faces). So who is pencilling?

OT: I am partial to the Shadow myself and could never get into Doc S.

I thought Bama's Doc Savage covers were great and this is a neat piece of trivia that he was the mythical Bob Colt. I'd be ecstatic if I could be in that kind of shape when I'm 50.

My older brother was into the Doc S when they were first published and I have read a few. As an adult, I find the Shadows better written so I have gone back and picked up a number of the paperback editions with the Steranko covers. I've picked up a few of the pulps as well.

#690843 - 03/12/05 11:02 AM Re: Bob Colt [Re: adamstrange]
adamstrange Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Bob Colt 9 = George Evans = Not

I was tried to figure out how to explain why not but basically the art isn't very good and George Evans is. Later Scrooge will be posting Worlds of Fear 3 (I hope -- if not, we can post my copy which is already in the pre-code horror thread) with an absolutely superb story.

I'll post the cover art to Strange Suspense Stories 2 that he drew later. (It may take me a bit to find my copy -- it wasn't in the normal location.) If you have your Gerber Guide, you can still get a good idea about Evans. One key characteristic was that he drew disproportionately large, rounded eye sockets -- you see hints of this on the eyes of the scientist. As far as quality goes, look at how nicely detailed the left hand of the scientist is. The four devil creatures, though small, are quite tight and anatomically correct.

Page 9 of 66 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
eBay: 5 oz ATB NGC graded, MS70 ASE, ending tomorrow night
by stldanceartist
12:53 PM
$1000, $500 and (3) $100 Bills up for sale
by TetonWarrior
11:40 PM
FS: 1795 $1 DB VF30 OGH & 1805 50c XF45
by Rayman311
08:22 AM
1950 PCGS PF-65 CAM Franklin CAC
by jimbucks
04/16/14 09:08 PM
Comics Marketplace
POCKET GUIDE TO CHINA - Milton Caniff U.S. military racist comic 1942
by *paull*
Hate to sell it but... Revival #5 Cover OA Jenny Frison Professionally Framed
by HugeRosen
02:32 PM
Three old Disneys for sale: 1st Donald Duck, 1st Snow White cover and a Barks
by pickycollector
02:10 PM
Tales of Asgard 1 9.6
by Peter in Portugal
02:06 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 18 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125x125 ComicLink Internet Comic Book Exchange