• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the running for having one of the worst mis-wraps?

76 posts in this topic

It's also wrong that it's sitting in a 9.6 holder.

There was an old thread somewhere (I can't find it) where someone (possibly Roy?) talked to a grader about bad miswraps and miscuts in 9.6 or 9.8 holders. I believe the gist of it was that if it's a production issue, and no better copies exist, then CGC's position is it isn't penalized until 9.9 and above.

Link?

Thanks. That's not it but I think Roy may be referring to it.

I think the title of the thread was something like, "Why is this a 9.8?" or some permutation.

There have been a lot of discussions about what weight should be given, if any, to production-related defects. I see both sides of the argument and have probably argued both sides as well. It only really irks me with extreme examples like this MTU 33, but then I realize that you can't really make exceptions like that unless there's another scale for production defects. And that would be a giant clusterfudge.

I hear ya. In my world that's not a 9.6 either.

I always see this as "absolute" versus "relative" grading, where absolute is the deviation from ideal and relative is as compared to all known samples.

I'm an absolutist. I think it makes much more sense to compare the sample to an ideal within some given tolerance and then grade based on the deviation from that ideal. It doesn't bother me if all specimens had the same production defect and were penalized for it.

I think there's an inherent problem with relative grading since by definition it assumes that all specimens are known. I don't think that is possible.

It is what it is, and I guess it's not going to change. But I have my own grading system that incorporates registration, PQ and a host of other items that aren't reflected by that little number in the corner, and I vote with my wallet.

Cheetah posted some bad ones a couple years ago.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!

Here's another from the same thread...

SSS55CGC.jpg

That's actually my book and I subbed it. I hated the miswrap, and it still bugs me, but that is still the lone graded copy two years later. Not an easy book in grade.

That is fugly though- what a shame with that grade too. It just amazes me that for a long time no one making comics said or did anything about miswraps.

Miscut not a miswrap but still horrendous

GL86horriblemiscut_zps7785cde3.jpg

GL86BChorriblemiscut_zps6cf6bf23.jpg

Wow the back on that looks really bad.

I usually don't mind if the miswrap is uniform on the front. I have a ASM 122 where the miswrap is pretty much the same down the front. I can't seem to find the picture. I'll find one and throw it up, but it is not bad.

Miscut not a miswrap but still horrendous

GL86horriblemiscut_zps7785cde3.jpg

GL86BChorriblemiscut_zps6cf6bf23.jpg

Trapezoid cuts like that are actually somewhat common on some isolated issues--maybe 1 in 20 on certain issues are cut like that to some extent, although one as severe as your example is probably more like 1 in 100. As a hardcore FF collector, I see it a lot on issues 62 and 67, especially 67. I've seen CGC give the 9.6 grade to that kind of trapezoid cut that's maybe a third less angularly severe than that one, although I'm not sure I've seen what the max is they'd give to one as severe as yours. hm

It is what it is, and I guess it's not going to change. But I have my own grading system that incorporates registration, PQ and a host of other items that aren't reflected by that little number in the corner, and I vote with my wallet.

I hear you, especially on the page quality. I think I've seen 9.6's with cream-to-off-white pages, which is ridiculous.

I hear you, especially on the page quality. I think I've seen 9.6's with cream-to-off-white pages, which is ridiculous.

:gossip: You wont like this then:

98_Tan-Cream_zpse10e5232.jpg

CGC called that label a mistake and recalled it.

CGC called that label a mistake and recalled it.

ah ok.

will have to make do with this then:

Turok6398Cr_zps44dc3c8f.jpg

This is one of the worst i have. I usually dont mind even miswraps but e=uneven ones like this drive me CRAZY!!!

I got this like a year ago in a CC auction. I LOVE Suscha News books and this one SHATTERED the gpa low for a 9.6 so for the price, i can live with the miswrap.

asm100.jpg

This is one of the worst i have. I usually dont mind even miswraps but e=uneven ones like this drive me CRAZY!!!

I got this like a year ago in a CC auction. I LOVE Suscha News books and this one SHATTERED the gpa low for a 9.6 so for the price, i can live with the miswrap.

asm100.jpg

Ouch Jason!

What killed that book's price wasn't the miswrap, it was the miscut. That is awful, the top is much narrower than the bottom.

I hate the miscut books. ASM 122 is bad about having a non straight right edge. Many of them seem to be straight, but the right edge is cut with a curve or inward cut that changes back near the other corner. I've had a tough time looking for a straight 9.6 copy.