• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Name for the Probation List: kitsune

Posted an unqualified :takeit: on 6/21 in my sales thread for an X-Men #248 SS.

Sent a PM asking if he could wait until the end of the month to pay (though no arrangement was sought PRIOR to posting :takeit: )

I said that was fine, and made no mention of the lack of payment arrangement prior to hitting the :takeit:

End of June came and went with no payment. July 4, sent a PM asking if I had missed payment somehow. Unread until July 8. No response after being read.

Sent a PM July 9 saying "please tell me if you are no longer interested in the book."

Response: "Been busy, sorry, I'll have to hit you up after SDCC."

No request for more time, just a statement that he wasn't going to pay until after SDCC (if at all.) Obviously, hitting me up after SDCC was not acceptable. No payment.

He flaked out on me (never responded to PMs) on an Infinity Gauntlet set that I resold. I didn't nominate him to the PL because I didn't want to bother waiting, but he's obviously a problem.

HIlariously - he posted in another one of my sales threads saying he wanted to buy some Gen13s from me - but of course, didn't have the money. Unfortunately, I didn't recall his name until long after - and I missed a prime opportunity to say something.

Guys like this are why I have a three-day payment rule. Flake.

header2Bblank2Bwhite.png

Sent a PM asking if he could wait until the end of the month to pay (though no arrangement was sought PRIOR to posting :takeit: )

I said that was fine, and made no mention of the lack of payment arrangement prior to hitting the :takeit:

End of June came and went with no payment. July 4, sent a PM asking if I had missed payment somehow. Unread until July 8. No response after being read.

Sent a PM July 9 saying "please tell me if you are no longer interested in the book."

No request for more time, just a statement that he wasn't going to pay until after SDCC (if at all.) Obviously, hitting me up after SDCC was not acceptable. No payment.

He flaked out on me (never responded to PMs) on an Infinity Gauntlet set that I resold. I didn't nominate him to the PL because I didn't want to bother waiting, but he's obviously a problem.

HIlariously - he posted in another one of my sales threads saying he wanted to buy some Gen13s from me - but of course, didn't have the money. Unfortunately, I didn't recall his name until long after - and I missed a prime opportunity to say something.

header2Bblank2Bwhite.png

:roflmao:

Please add: CarlWeathers75 to the probation list.

Sale was 6-7-2013 and was more than supposed to have been completed by today's date.

Brent(CarlWeathers75) bought an Ultimate Spider-man #1 White variant cover CGC 9.8 off of me.

Two Time Payments were supposed to be made in June and July.

Never made any payment.

Said numerous times the check is either in the mail or he would send out the check(s) later in that week and send me a PM once he did that. He never followed up with me what so ever.

Has not PMed me back in now well over week when I informed him he would have to make the full payment or I would add him to this probation list.

I am going to sell the book to someone else.

Total bum and a liar.

John (SOT)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Doc Balls and others passed around the idea of improving the Kudos thread and no one wanted anything to do with it. :(
more and more I think we're too busy trying not to offend rather than calling out bad grading and bad sellers/buyers

As I recall, the positive only thing was Arch's rule, so I don't see how we can change that.

Besides, you all HAVE to know that if someone says something uncomplimentary about someone else, there is just going to be a great deal of gnashing of teeth, crying, he said/she said and memes, lots and lots of memes.

I don't see a huge problem. Read the kudos, look at some of the person's sales threads, maybe even google a little...and buy wisely. If there is a problem, ask for a refund. If they won't refund, then it's time to visit here.

We've been round and round on this and I know that true feedback threads ain't happening, but I have a feeling there are a lot of scammy or semi-scammy transactions that occur in the selling threads that no one hears about. A lot of people don't even know the PL -- or this thread -- exists. They get taken advantage of and don't see a recourse other than, if it's bad enough, to try a chargeback on their cc ... and to take their business somewhere else.

I've been strictly a buyer but if I were a seller I would be pushing for true feedback threads to help reassure buyers.

I don't have a problem with "true feedback" I'm not going to get into a fight with someone, if I make a mistake, I'm going to fall all over myself trying to make up for it....but I'm not typical. There will be much kvetching...

That however was not my point...my point was, it was Arch's decision, so who exactly is going to be pushing him?

We are guests...and I would hate to have the sales forums affected, I love the sales forum.

Sometimes you have to be happy with the gifts you have.

You are probably right but my thought was that if we had a consensus that true feedback threads were necessary and approached Arch about it, he might go along. It's a moot point, though, because there is no consensus. When Dr. Balls raised the issue in CG there was very little support.

Perhaps it's unfair, but my own take is that sellers are opposed to fb threads because they don't want public comments on their selling practices.

Although people describe eBay as a jungle, as a proportion of my purchases, I've had fewer problems there than here. By "problems" I mean marginal but not scammy selling practices. More and more, I'm buying only from a few big fish when I buy on the boards -- which isn't that often anymore.

Can you elaborate so I/we can keep an eye out? on the practices not the people.

header2Bblank2Bwhite.png

I'm thinking it's more like:

BEER TASTE ON A WATER BUDGET.

I believe that he was put on and removed once before.

He bought off of me before no problem. Bigger book to. ???

Time to maybe ban him then,

How are we supposed to ban him?

Haven't you noticed that even H.O.S. members don't get banned unless they do something to break CGC's rules? Just because they are on the P.L. or the H.O.S., doesn't mean they can be banned. :censored:

I believe that he was put on and removed once before.

He bought off of me before no problem. Bigger book to. ???

Time to maybe ban him then,

How are we supposed to ban him?

Haven't you noticed that even H.O.S. members don't get banned unless they do something to break CGC's rules? Just because they are on the P.L. or the H.O.S., doesn't mean they can be banned. :censored:

HOS list from buying ever again I mean.

Doc Balls and others passed around the idea of improving the Kudos thread and no one wanted anything to do with it. :(
more and more I think we're too busy trying not to offend rather than calling out bad grading and bad sellers/buyers

As I recall, the positive only thing was Arch's rule, so I don't see how we can change that.

Besides, you all HAVE to know that if someone says something uncomplimentary about someone else, there is just going to be a great deal of gnashing of teeth, crying, he said/she said and memes, lots and lots of memes.

I don't see a huge problem. Read the kudos, look at some of the person's sales threads, maybe even google a little...and buy wisely. If there is a problem, ask for a refund. If they won't refund, then it's time to visit here.

We've been round and round on this and I know that true feedback threads ain't happening, but I have a feeling there are a lot of scammy or semi-scammy transactions that occur in the selling threads that no one hears about. A lot of people don't even know the PL -- or this thread -- exists. They get taken advantage of and don't see a recourse other than, if it's bad enough, to try a chargeback on their cc ... and to take their business somewhere else.

I've been strictly a buyer but if I were a seller I would be pushing for true feedback threads to help reassure buyers.

I don't have a problem with "true feedback" I'm not going to get into a fight with someone, if I make a mistake, I'm going to fall all over myself trying to make up for it....but I'm not typical. There will be much kvetching...

That however was not my point...my point was, it was Arch's decision, so who exactly is going to be pushing him?

We are guests...and I would hate to have the sales forums affected, I love the sales forum.

Sometimes you have to be happy with the gifts you have.

You are probably right but my thought was that if we had a consensus that true feedback threads were necessary and approached Arch about it, he might go along. It's a moot point, though, because there is no consensus. When Dr. Balls raised the issue in CG there was very little support.

Perhaps it's unfair, but my own take is that sellers are opposed to fb threads because they don't want public comments on their selling practices.

Although people describe eBay as a jungle, as a proportion of my purchases, I've had fewer problems there than here. By "problems" I mean marginal but not scammy selling practices. More and more, I'm buying only from a few big fish when I buy on the boards -- which isn't that often anymore.

Can you elaborate so I/we can keep an eye out? on the practices not the people.

I was thinking mainly of the usual stuff: overcharging for postage, poor packaging, overgrading, misleading descriptions (whether intentional or not), overlooked (or, at any rate, not disclosed) restoration/repairs, and, in one case involving a relatively expensive purchase from a prominent boardie, a failure to disclose info that was clearly relevant to pricing. In the last case, the info was fairly widely known but not public or easy for me to have obtained. A pretty sharp practice, as I look back on it.

I have received a response from kitsune:

Oh snap! On noes!!! Internet forum bullies...

You still have it? I will buy. Let me know. I can send payment tonight if not tomorrow early morning.

I really, REALLY dislike having to deal with smartass brats whose word isn't worth the pixels on the screen, but I will respect the mores of the board and not put him on the probation list if I cannot do it without actually selling him the book. I will not, however, sell the book to him. He can find it elsewhere.

I find it extremely distasteful that this "gentleman" can avoid the probation list at the 11th hour, but if those are the rules, I will respect them.

This guy clearly has no respect for this board, basic manners, or even his own word.

Remember when a man's word was as good as gold? I don't, because I was born in the '70s. I've heard that it was really cool, though.

You still have it? I will buy. Let me know. I can send payment tonight if not tomorrow early morning.

I really, REALLY dislike having to deal with smartass brats whose word isn't worth the pixels on the screen, but I will respect the mores of the board and not put him on the probation list if I cannot do it without actually selling him the book. I will not, however, sell the book to him. He can find it elsewhere.

I find it extremely distasteful that this "gentleman" can avoid the probation list at the 11th hour, but if those are the rules, I will respect them.

This guy clearly has no respect for this board, basic manners, or even his own word.

Remember when a man's word was as good as gold? I don't, because I was born in the '70s. I've heard that it was really cool, though.

Even without putting him on the list, his response has pretty much sunk his ship with quite a few sellers here. hm

I was born in the '50s (1957) and it was really cool. (thumbs u

I often talk about how rare honesty and common decency are nowadays. It's automatic for me to hold open a door for anybody (not just women) and I've heard people say they don't see that much any more. If I'm at a grocery store and I have 12 items and somebody behind me has 2 I let them go first.

It's really sad that common courtesy, common decency and just plain old honesty are no longer that common. :(

I often talk about how rare honesty and common decency are nowadays. It's automatic for me to hold open a door for anybody (not just women) and I've heard people say they don't see that much any more. If I'm at a grocery store and I have 12 items and somebody behind me has 2 I let them go first.

It's really sad that common courtesy, common decency and just plain old honesty are no longer that common. :(

Sounds anecdotal.

kitsune, you suck!!

Sounds anecdotal.

:facepalm:

Sounds anecdotal.

Anecdotal is exactly what that is. :shrug:

Sounds anecdotal.

Maybe you prefer:

Sounds like it suffers from both selection bias and confirmation bias

(shrug)