• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Comic Book Scrapbook
1 1

76 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]

A Comic Book Scrapbook

In my continuing search for pictures containing comics, I’ve come across some weird and wonderful comic-related material and I’ve posted many of the comic-related pictures in the 1939 newsstand pic time machine thread. I find the sociological and historical connections with comic books fascinating and these connections provide a glimpse into the past. Among some of the things I’ve found are: a smoking toddler reading comics, monster hysteria blamed on comics and the sad history of Japanese internment during WW 2. The material brings a wistful contemplation of life from an era before I was born, however the past reality may not be as simple or as pleasant as I imagined. The goal of this scrapbook is to collect this material within one thread and I hope to occasionally update with material that doesn’t quite fit in the newsstand thread. Any other interesting contributions of golden age comic-related material would be welcomed. With the 75th anniversary of Superman’s first appearance in comics and the release of the new movie “Man of Steel”, this first entry into the scrapbook would seem to be appropriate.

Superman Day at the 1940 New York World’s Fair

The 1939-1940 New York World’s Fair opened on April 30 1939 and was located in Flushing Meadows in Queens. While the main purpose of the fair was to lift the spirits of the United States and drive much-needed business to New York City, it was also felt that there should be a cultural or historical association. It was therefore decided that the fair opening would correspond to the 150th anniversary of George Washington’s first inauguration as President of the United States.

The New York World’s Fair was referenced in many comics from the period and the signature landmarks of the fair, the Trylon and the Perisphere, appear on some of the covers.

24244982-82b.jpg

24244983-9f1.jpg 24244984-2f4.jpg

24244985-345.jpg 24244986-af1.jpg

Comics pictured: Funny Pages v3#4, All-American 18, Amazing Mystery Funnies v2#7, Nickel 8.

In Amazing Mystery Funnies, the Fantom appears at the fair to stop a crooked contractor but there is no fair-related story in Nickel Comics.

The theme of the fair was the “world of tomorrow” and it seemed appropriate that the “man of tomorrow” would make his first public appearance in full costume on Superman Day. Although Superman appeared in comic strips, merchandising and on a radio show, Superman was promoted to a wider audience by a DC comics sponsored Superman Day at the fair on July 3, 1940. This was the first appearance of Superman in full costume and there was a live radio broadcast from the fairgrounds. The name “Superman” was inscribed on the top of the chest emblem to introduce the character to the public. The actor that played Superman is still unknown.

24244992-e7a.jpg24244993-278.jpg

Superman Day, the idea of publicist Allen Ducovny, was held in part to promote the sales of DC’s 1940 New York World’s Fair Comics, a 100-page special edition sold exclusively at the fair. The 1939 edition, released on 4/30/39, sold poorly since it was 25 cents while other comics were a dime. Remaining copies were reduced to 15 cents and everyone who sent in a quarter in the mail received a Superman #1 or #2 to make up the dime difference. The 1940 edition published on 5/11/40 was priced at 15 cents.

24244988-5ac.jpg 24244989-5b1.jpg24244990-ad6.jpg

As you can see from this house ad, the ad writer was exaggerating or did not know about the poor sales of the 1939 edition of the World’s Fair comic.

24244997-c8e.jpg

A sign advertises a special 10 cent admission for kids on Superman Day at the fair.

24244999-56e.jpg

A rejected advertising flyer lists the activities and guests for Superman Day and note that they were giving out free Superman comics. Among the guests were George McManus, Frank Buck and Charles Atlas. The artwork was done by Lou Zimmerman who worked for or at Macy’s.

24245000-790.jpg

Superman was on top of a moving float in the parade.

24244994-698.jpg

Amazingly, this Kodachrome color footage of Superman Day from the 1940 fair exists. Kids participated in athletic events and notice all the kid’s shirts with the Superman emblem. Superman was portrayed as normal sized and was not very muscular. The man riding the elephant is DC publisher Harry Donenfeld. At 2:14 the men in hats are Max Gaines (with cigarette) and Jack Leibowitz. At 2:25 you can see Jerry Siegel in a blue suit and glasses with Leibowitz and Gaines.

One of the events that day was the selection of a Supergirl and Superboy. Eleven year old Maureen Reynolds from Manhattan and 15 year old William Aronis from Astoria, Queens were selected by the judges, Lucy Monroe, Ray Middleton, Frank Buck, Morris Gest and Charles Atlas.

Reynolds & Aronis with Charles Atlas

24245001-5d8.jpg

24245002-6fc.jpg

The fair’s sentiment of hope and optimism for the future would be tempered by tragedy and real life events. It was particularly festive at the fair on July 4th 1940 despite a great war raging in Europe between Great Britain and Nazi Germany. America was deeply divided about intervention into a war and both warring nations entertained support for their causes from American citizens.

Two policemen were killed and five others were injured by a time bomb placed at the British pavilion on July 4th. Detectives Joe Lynch and Ferdinand Socha were killed while trying to disarm the bomb after moving it away from a public area. It was the third bombing in New York in 2 weeks and New York residents were deeply concerned. The police had rounded up hundreds of suspects including Nazi sympathizers but none proved to be the perpetrators. The case still remains unsolved and as a result of the deaths of Detectives Lynch and Socha, new safety protocols were developed. The innocence of the time would be lost forever as America would become inextricably enmeshed into world affairs and would officially enter WW2 after Pearl Harbor was attacked. The fair closed on October 27, 1940.

References

Wikipedia: 1939 New York World’s Fair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_New_York_World%27s_Fair

Superman Day page

http://theages.ac/fortress/supermanday/

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

Grand Comic Database

http://www.comics.org/

New York Times World’s Fair articles

7/4/40 & 7/5/40

Tragedy at July 4th 1940 World’s Fair

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128216755

[/font]

Awesome material. Fascinating. It would make for a really good documentary. The timeline of this period is fascinating with the backdrop of war in Europe.

I can't believe they only gave the "Superman in the parade" a tiny rope to hold onto. He's super high in the air and one quick braking from the float driver would have turned this publicity stunt into a disaster for DC comics as their "Superman" could have been killed or maimed.

Great post! Nice mix of events all tied together. Do one of these WF comics depict superman with blond hair? I remember seeing something about that.

My grandparents lived in NYC and mentioned going to the WFs. I wish I knew more.

Thank you!

GREAT post and thread idea!

This would make a great book idea. I like the idea of having these diverse topics covered in distinct "chapters." Reminds me of All in Color for a Dime. Can't wait to read your take on the internment camp scrapbook (which is one of my interests).

There are a number of rare Superman pieces in regards to the Macy's event including tickets, printed letters on letterhead, a very rare Superman kids costume (there are two different versions) which looks much like the costume the Superman actor is wearing, etc. I'll try and post some examples.

[font:Book Antiqua]

1973 San Diego Comic-con

Comic-con has evolved from a modest comic book enthusiast event into a monster-sized pop culture event over the years. While we await for reports from this year’s Comic-con, let us take a wistful look back 40 years ago to 1973 and see how much has changed. Fortunately this Comic-con was well documented with many photos taken by one of Comic-con’s founders Shel Dorf. Some of you may have seen these pictures from Comic-convention Memories and maybe a few of you were even there.

Shel Dorf

24301020-dad.jpg

The event was held on August 15-19 at the Sheraton Hotel at Harbor Island and attendance was about 1000. Some of the special guests were Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, June Foray, Carmine Infantino, Bob Clampett, Ralph Bakshi, AE van Vogt, Walter Koenig and Ray Bradbury. Four-day passes cost the princely sum of $7.50 and dealer tables cost $40.

24301017-c19.jpg24301019-135.jpg

Pictures of the dealers tables:

24301026-0e9.jpg

24301028-a28.jpg

24301031-29c.jpg

dealer Jim Buser in front

24301322-dbf.jpg

dealer David Alexander

24301024-6c4.jpg

dealers Larry Bigman, Irving Bigman & Mrs Bigman

24301022-d1d.jpg

dealers Jay & Helen Knowles

24301035-0c3.jpg

dealer Summer Hamilton

24301044-7b1.jpg

dealer William Caron with what appears to be Neal Adams original art pages

24301045-c2b.jpg

Table with original art by Hal Foster (Prince Valiant), Frazetta (Johnny Comet), Burne Hogarth?(Tarzan), George Herriman?(Krazy Kat), Bernie Wrightson, Al Capp (Lil Abner), Donald Duck (Barks?) and a Mickey Mouse strip.

24301042-76e.jpg

Barks paintings, Conan and EC comics for sale

24301021-323.jpg

Mitch Mehdy was a celebrity for paying $1801.26 for a copy of Action #1 in May 1973 when many people believed at that time it was an outrageous amount for a comic book. Here he is a few months later sitting next to and hanging out with Neal Adams.

24301037-6eb.jpg

crowd shot at one of the panels

24303137-898.jpg

Neal Adams sketching and holding court with fans. I would consider Adams to be a living legend since he will be at Comic-con again this year.

24301051-500.jpg

Outside with Kirby, Adams, Mike Friedrich and Bernie Lansky

24301049-cfe.jpg

special guests Carmine Infantino, June Foray and Shel Dorf at the Cabrillo National Monument

24301047-c20.jpg

A panel with June Foray, Milt Gray, Bob Clampett and unknown.

24301054-ba4.jpg

A few attendees in Star Trek costumes

24301046-2f7.jpg

[/font]