• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Pizzazz Inserts
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Not only did I pick up that sweet ASM #129 double cover in a recent purchase of an ASM long box, but I also noticed yesterday that an ASM #177 and #178 (both only in about 5.0 condition) both had the Marvel Pizzazz insert in them. This is the first 2 I've ever found.

So are these really hard to find? A quick eBay search only shows 3 comics (one ASM, one FF, one Star Wars) with the Marvel Pizzazz insert. Any info provided would be great. Thanks!

AmazingSpider-Man177VG-FNPizzazzinsert2_zpscc9c17d8-1.jpg

I find it strange that these inserts where not in all copies of these issues. Marvel was self promoting their own kids magazine, why not put it in every copy?

Its possible they intended it for a few of their main issues and then decided to put them in more books and focused on large metro areas instead? Doing this would have caused them to only insert them into a small percentage of each book because they only had so many inserts printed?

I am very intrigued by the distribution method of the books with these inserts. Was it willy-nilly or did they have a focused area?

Here's a question.... remember the ads for a mag called "Grit?" They'd advertise it as something you could sell do to door.

Has anyone ever seen a copy????

Grit was actually a newspaper. I used to sell them in my neighborhood when I was a kid back in the 60s.

I see later on it became a magazine. (thumbs u

Edited by Shark

Here's a question.... remember the ads for a mag called "Grit?" They'd advertise it as something you could sell do to door.

Has anyone ever seen a copy????

Grit was actually a newspaper. I used to sell them in my neighborhood when I was a kid back in the 60s.

I see later on it became a magazine. (thumbs u

http://www.grit.com

I was digging through some of my Marvel Tales comics and ended up finding 2 more books with the Pizzazz insert - both are Marvel Tales #87. :)

This in turn got my curiosity up so I did some digging. Some of this information is probably already known to some of you, but I'll post what I found out for those who don't know.

Marvel Pizzazz inserts were included in various Marvel Comics from January 1978 to April 1978. Between Google, eBay active and sold listings, mycomicshop and my own copies, I've come up with this list of 34 books that might have contained the Marvel Pizzazz inserts:

Amazing Spider-Man 176,177,178

Captain America 217,218,219

Conan the Barbarian 47

Fantastic Four 190,191,192

Incredible Hulk 219,220,221,222

Invaders 24,25,26

Marvel Tales 87,88,89,90

Marvel Team-Up 65,66,67

Marvel Two-in-One 37,38,39

Star Wars 7,8,9,10

Thor 268,269,270

Let me know if anyone is aware of any others. Keep in mind that not all copies of these books will have the Pizzazz insert in them.

I was digging through some of my Marvel Tales comics and ended up finding 2 more books with the Pizzazz insert - both are Marvel Tales #87. :)

This in turn got my curiosity up so I did some digging. Some of this information is probably already known to some of you, but I'll post what I found out for those who don't know.

Marvel Pizzazz inserts were included in various Marvel Comics from January 1978 to April 1978. Between Google, eBay active and sold listings, mycomicshop and my own copies, I've come up with this list of 34 books that might have contained the Marvel Pizzazz inserts:

Conan the Barbarian 47

Invaders 24,25,26

Marvel Tales 87,88,89,90

Marvel Team-Up 65,66,67

Star Wars 7,8,9,10

Thor 268,269,270

Let me know if anyone is aware of any others. Keep in mind that not all copies of these books will have the Pizzazz insert in them.

Scratch Conan the Barbarian #47 from this list. After looking at a copy I have, I realized this book was published in 1975 - 3 years before the Marvel Pizzazz magazine and inserts were even published. I got this issue number from the mycomicshop Pizzazz list and I've notified them it should be removed. This issue DID have a Marvel subscription insert in it like the one below (my copy has one in it):

th_Conan%2047%20with%20Marvel%20subscription%20insert%201_zpsoqvtqdaj.jpgth_Conan%2047%20with%20Marvel%20subscription%20insert%202_zpsdttzulwt.jpg

I also just realized this morning I have another book with a Marvel Pizzazz insert in it. I was looking through some of my slabs to see what I might sell when I came across this one:

Thor%20270%20CGC98%20Marvel%20Pizzazz%20insert_zpsqoos0grs.jpg

I completely forgot that had the Pizzazz insert in it.

Anybody else think of any other books that have the Marvel Pizzazz insert in them? A couple of days ago I did some research and looked at the copies I had of all of the other Marvel titles that were also published during the Jan.-April 1978 time frame and couldn't find any others that had the insert in them.

Conan the Barbarian 47

Invaders 24,25,26

Marvel Tales 87,88,89,90

Marvel Team-Up 65,66,67

Star Wars 7,8,9,10

Thor 268,269,270

Scratch Conan the Barbarian #47 from this list. After looking at a copy I have, I realized this book was published in 1975 - 3 years before the Marvel Pizzazz magazine and inserts were even published. I got this issue number from the mycomicshop Pizzazz list and I've notified them it should be removed. This issue DID have a Marvel subscription insert in it like the one below (my copy has one in it):

th_Conan%2047%20with%20Marvel%20subscription%20insert%201_zpsoqvtqdaj.jpgth_Conan%2047%20with%20Marvel%20subscription%20insert%202_zpsdttzulwt.jpg

I also just realized this morning I have another book with a Marvel Pizzazz insert in it. I was looking through some of my slabs to see what I might sell when I came across this one:

Thor%20270%20CGC98%20Marvel%20Pizzazz%20insert_zpsqoos0grs.jpg

I completely forgot that had the Pizzazz insert in it.

Anybody else think of any other books that have the Marvel Pizzazz insert in them? A couple of days ago I did some research and looked at the copies I had of all of the other Marvel titles that were also published during the Jan.-April 1978 time frame and couldn't find any others that had the insert in them.

Thanks for all the excellent information. I have about ten of these, but now my addiction may force me to seek them all out.

The hard part of finding these inserts is you have to open the comic to find them. You cannot spot them easily by just looking on the outside of the comic. The same is true with other inserts like the DC survey ones. That's why they're overlooked so often. And even if they are seen, a lot of people are unaware that they're any different.